Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ninja Spirit Appreciation/Commiseration

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    I wasn't aware of a different hucard pack in? but I am the only person I know who had bought a Turbo Duo when they were new… and it had pack-in's of Gate of Thunder/Bonk, Ys book I & II (which the disc is different than the retail release), and Ninja Spirit hucard…
    what other hucards were there as pack-in's?

I am aware of the stand alone retail release… I bought mine new 21 years ago… still have the cardboard box too!
    The hucard pack-in was apparently random. From the Wiki (I know, I know):
    "The system was also packaged with one random HuCard game which varied from system to system (Dungeon Explorer was the original HuCard pack-in for TurboDuo, although many titles were eventually used, such as IREM's Ninja Spirit and NAMCO's Final Lap Twin, and then eventually a random pick)."

And a user in this thread on PCEngineFX mentions Ninja Spirit, Splatterhouse and DE1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up Ninja Spirit way back in the day. It was/is probably one of the best games on the TG16. The graphics are simply gorgeous and made the Genesis look bland by comparison. Pretty much everything about the game; sound, feel, playability just rocked. I remember thinking it was like Ninja Gaiden on steroids.

One of the few glimmers of hope for a doomed system.

My only complaint is that I beat it in a few sittings. The default mode was just about a walk through. They could have upped the difficulty just a bit on the default mode and it may, in fact, have been the perfect game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    If you have a spare TG16 case from another game, I have a Sparky's spine sticker for Ninja Spirit I could send you that will turn it into a Ninja Spirit case.
    PM if interested, no charge.
    Thanks, but I don't have a spare TG16 case.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    and it had pack-ins of Gate of Thunder/Bonk, Ys book I & II (which the disc is different than the retail release), and Ninja Spirit hucard…
    Man, that was one hell of a package, wasn't it? It's like they were eager to prove how awesome the Duo was, just in case you made the mistake of not being interested in those games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every great game system has a great ninja game. Ninja Spirit is the TG16's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    Every great game system has a great ninja game. Ninja Spirit is the TG16's.
    Great quote, old man!

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Just thought I'd add to the Ninja Spirit love: next to Splatterhouse, it's my favorite HuCard. I have to play through it at least once a year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ninja Spirit.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	4211

Finished. Wolves are running against a scenic backdrop as some kind of murky vengeance was satisfied. It is difficult to say that the experience was worth all the frustration and cursing, but, regardless, I have now beaten that damn game twice on Arcade mode. After the credits finished rolling, I ripped through the game on PC Engine mode like a mythological god (who only needed one continue ). It was a nice release/reward.
    Last edited by treismac; 01-05-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I rented Ninja Spirit and Aeroblasters around the same time and was blown away by both. I was lucky enough to receive them as Christmas and birthday gifts not long after. Neither game has gotten boring or aged for me and I love the original soundtrack of Ninja Spirit. The game has such style and stands apart from similar ninja games.

I think that the whole random TurboDuo pack-in claim is bs. The rumour was likely started by people who bought OEM aftermarket TurboDuos from Turbo Zone Direct. Dungeon Explorer was originally reported and marketed as the HuCard pack-in for the TurboDuo but TTi changed it at the last minute to Ninja Spirit. Ninja Spirit balanced out the pack-ins better than Dungeon Explorer, even if DE is one of the greatest games of all time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ninja Spirit was one of the first games, if not the first game, I bought with my TurboGrafx-16. It is an awesome game all the way through, really shows off what the Turbo can do with its 2-layer backgrounds and gobs of sprites/objects on screen, not to mention huge well animated bosses. If it wasn't more like Legend of Kage I would put Ninja Spirit right up there with the early Shinobi games. As it is, Ninja Spirit is a totally unique high quality 16-bit ninja title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excellent game. Love it. When I first owned it on the TG16 back when it was fresh, I initially wasn't too impressed. But it grew on me. In fact, the older I get the more I love it. Especially the music. When I hear Ninja Spirit music from the TG16 version, I think to myself "That IS TG16 music". It has a sound that only the TG16 seems to be able to produce.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO aside from the graphics, the plot and the soundtrack, the true test of a really awesome game is if you continue to enjoy the game no matter how many times you have started and finished it over and over again, and ninja spirit has that quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just beat the Japanese Gameboy version of Ninja Spirit, and I have to say there are a few differences that stood out to me:

a) The boards were way easier as the screen was not filled with enemies nor enemy fire.

b) The bosses were noticeably harder on the Gameboy than the Turbografx-16 version.

c) The infamous leap into the great chasm was more like a hop off a three step staircase. Vast difference between the two final jumps.

d) The final message after beating the last boss is actually readable as it does not stay up for a mere two to three seconds.

All in all, not a bad way to spend ten or so minutes if you're a fan of the TG-16 classic.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

I just bought this game, im working on expanding my turbo collection... which is pretty much nonexistent at this point... wont get here for a few days though...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoProcess View Post
    I just bought this game, im working on expanding my turbo collection... which is pretty much nonexistent at this point... wont get here for a few days though...
    Awesome! The Ninja Spirit is fun as hell on PC Engine Mode and hard as hell on the Arcade Mode, and it is definitely one of the TG-16's finest games. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Awesome! The Ninja Spirit is fun as hell on PC Engine Mode and hard as hell on the Arcade Mode, and it is definitely one of the TG-16's finest games. I hope you enjoy it.
    Just got it today... was able to play for a few min in between jobs... and boy you're right, haha... can't wait to spend some time with it... this is the kind of game I wanted for my TG, I have the first bonk and it just wasn't really doing it for me... didn't have the edge I was looking for... but this is just right...

But slightly off topic, im still new to the TG and I was just wondering about this... the turbo switches are part of the stock controller, and I've always considered using them on other consoles kind of cheating... since the tg has them stock (and turbo is even part of its name) is this viewed the same way or is it acceptable to use them? I was just wondering about this for awhile...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoProcess View Post
    But slightly off topic, im still new to the TG and I was just wondering about this... the turbo switches are part of the stock controller, and I've always considered using them on other consoles kind of cheating... since the tg has them stock (and turbo is even part of its name) is this viewed the same way or is it acceptable to use them? I was just wondering about this for awhile...
    Personally, I don't consider turbo switches cheating, unless you and I were playing a game against each other and I had turbo ability and you did not. I mean, it is bad ass the way Takahashi Meijin could hit a button 16 times per second back in his prime, but I don't see using a turbo feature as unethical in gaming. Slow motion or save states in emulators, on the other hand, are another issue...

On another side note: I can't imagine trying to spin properly in the first Bonk for the TG-16 without the use of the turbo feature. I am fairly certain that the spinning jumps were created with the built in turbo feature of the controller in mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Personally, I don't consider turbo switches cheating, unless you and I were playing a game against each other and I had turbo ability and you did not. I mean, it is bad ass the way Takahashi Meijin could hit a button 16 times per second back in his prime, but I don't see using a turbo feature as unethical in gaming. Slow motion or save states in emulators, on the other hand, are another issue...

On another side note: I can't imagine trying to spin properly in the first Bonk for the TG-16 without the use of the turbo feature. I am fairly certain that the spinning jumps were created with the built in turbo feature of the controller in mind.
    I suppose that makes sense, in the world of only trying to beat your own high score. And now that im playing this game more I don't know what id do without that turbo switch...
    Hardware Collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In his prime he could hit the button 16 times per second with his humming bird wing fingers. To paraphrase Wu-Tang Clan, Takahashi Meijin (aka Master Higgins) ain't nuthing ta f*ck wit.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great game, me and my friend actually sat down one afternoon and beat this bad boy. It wasn't too hard, but that damn part where you had to drop down past all the other ninjas was pretty terrible. we had to go online to see how to get past that mess.

Insert Coin (Level 0) timewarpgamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for starting this thread. My introduction to Ninja Spirit began with the purchase of a heavily-discounted Turbo Duo ($99). To this day, it remains one of the best ninja games that has ever been created. Long before Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon it captured the absurdly gigantic leaps we all apply to ninja tradecraft. Legend of Kage sucked. Ninja Spirit rocked. I love the colors, the huge bosses, the various weapons, the two different modes of gameplay. I'd pop it into my TurboDuo right now if the HuCard hadn't mysteriously disappeared from my parents' house. In short, this game is the bizzomb. Good call.
    I run TimeWarpGamer, dedicated to 8/16-bit retro gaming. I'm also on Twitter, which is ideal for following the latest retro updates.