Thread: Other differences between remodeled NES and SNES?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Other differences between remodeled NES and SNES?

I know the NES II loads on top, lacks A/V outputs, and the serial ports which were never used. It also has the crappy picture. I know the SNES lacks the eject button and has the RF Demodulator hookup instead of the RF output.

However, I was wondering a few things I never really thought about.

Did they change the NES II so that it would not work with the Game Genie? I don't know as I never purchased any Game Genie's before as I felt it was cheating (which it is). There was something else there that I faintly remember. Or was it that it doesn't allow those unlicensed carts that have the switch on them to work?

Same goes for the SNES remodel. Doesn't allow Game Genie or foreign adaptors? Not really sure of this. From the way it seems on the outside...this is a cool unit. Takes up less space, though I admittedly love the larger SNES and how it looks. Really elegant....too bad the remodeled NES didn't have picture problems...they match like fraternal twins...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

The NES II / Toploader does accept regular game genies except that you need an adapter. Which is just a small converter that fits onto the bottom of the game genie. I'd give you a link, but I don't see any for auction right now. I can post a pic of mine if you wanna see what one looks like.

SNES game genies work fine.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

You must be talking about the SNES II. The original and primary run has a eject button, to the right of the power button. You slide it up and it pops the cart out.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES 2 also lacks support for S-Video and RGB video output. Weaksauce.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't remember the original SNES having S-Video hookups though? Either way, would there be any noticeable difference in the two, considering that the signal is coming out of the unit the same way? It's not like there are separate outputs on the unit itself for RCA and S-VIDEO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original SNES supports RF, Composite, S-Video and RGB. The only thing required to get any of those to output is the proper video cable. Get an S-Video cable and it will output S-Video. They all have the same standardized connector that plugs into the SNES's A/V port.

The SNES 2 was made so that these S-Video and RGB cables won't work with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Manimal
    I don't remember the original SNES having S-Video hookups though? Either way, would there be any noticeable difference in the two, considering that the signal is coming out of the unit the same way? It's not like there are separate outputs on the unit itself for RCA and S-VIDEO.
    There is a huge difference in quality from Conposite (yellow RCA) to S-Video. You will notice it most on the Snes because the graphics are inherantly blocky. Besides the bleeding colors and contrast you also get rid of the worst video defect out there.. dot crawl.. *SHUDDER* It does this by keeping the luma and chroma signals separate. for more info on the current video formats check out:
    http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Article...Connectors.asp

as for S-video hookups you can use the same S-video Nintendo cable for the SNES, N64, and GC.. that and the wavebird are the only good things Nintendo has done in the last 10 years.. (and OOT.. but whatever)
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So it does make a difference? I didn't think the SNES was that advanced to even benefit (that's what I hinting at). I own the 'A Video Standard' LaserDisc but I have only really used it for testing audio frequencies. Probably ruined my ears from ignoring those 'hearing damage' warnings

I'm STILL trying to figure out the whole 'Laser Rot'. I have quite a few with speckles constantly through (colored when on still/white when playing)...but they don't get worse! Wonder sometimes if this is really rot...or if rot stops. Like old DiscoVision discs...

Pre-'Digital' discs are so horrid! Most of mine are junk... I've wasted so much money on older discs.... Anyone with a non-rotted copy of Scorpions "To Russia With Love..." PLEASE Email me! Through two copies and no luck. I can't even complain to sellers because so few have the players to even test them.

, sorry for getting off topic. I prefer LaserDiscs to DVD's (lower resolution, but no digital 'jaggies' ..... so much better IMO....if they aren't rotting

S-Video is nice.... Component isn't THAT considerably better unless you are using a better monitor.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know this is a bit off topic,

but how is laser disc better than DVD!? Laser disc I believe is MPEG1 (compression!!) while DVD is MPEG2 (also compression).

If you notice things like jurkiness in DVDs, and they piss you off, you can always rip the DVD to your PC, run it through a de-interlace filter, convert it to SVCD and burn it to CD! (all above tools are freeware from internet).

Now you'll have a disc that plays on most DVDs and any PC and will be in laser disc quality! (or you can get a DVD burner, and burn the re-authored DVD).

DVD don't suck.. the companies that make them sometimes cheap out..

back to topic:

WOW! Now I understand why my S-Video cable never worked on my SNES.. cuz I have the 2nd model!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that LaserDisc video isn't compressed MPEG video. SVCD is pretty much VHS quality. I wouldn't convert a DVD down to that (yuk).

Maybe I'll take back a bit of what I said. I do agree with you on the following. DVD's can be good (better than LD), and technically they should (better resolution, higher s/n ratio), but it's indeed the manufacturers of the software that are to blame for my dislike of the medium. It seems like a lot of them are mastering their DVD's from VHS copies. Why? Even Brazilian bootleggers are making their DVD's from LD. Hopefully after this DVD 'craze' dies down a bit, companies won't keep rushing DVD's out into the market quicky and half-assed. A nice DVD to me is Terminator 2: Judgement Day (Artisan). Of course it has crappy MacroVision (a sworn enemy), but this was well done. MGM does a good job also. But some of these 'jaggies' DVD's just suck. And it's not my player (I have a cheap player, but it has VEEERY nice chipset, and will outperform a bunch of units up to $2000....for only $230. Just hope the gears won't break in 14 mo of use like a lot of people have said).

Back to SNES...I will have to buy an S-Video cable for the SNES I then. Does Nintendo sell these, or will I have to buy a generic 'Mad Catz' or 'Interact' brand one? Any other differences (sorry from bringing this off-topic)..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just buy a GameCube / N64 cable at a store (they're compatible w/ SNES) or order one from Nintendo's website.

Personally, I like to go with the official first-party cables when possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree on the first party cables. I have a Genesis 2 RF switch by PERFORMANCE and the video has color waves.

I could see a few exceptions though, as if the connections were just standard RCA plugs. Then I could see buying a higher quality cable instead of the normal first-party RCA 'chicken wire' cables.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Using svideo with consoles almost always beats using standard composite. Most consoles utilize a framebuffer with an RGB colorspace, so the further you deviate from the RGB model, the further the signal is degraded. svideo is less messed-with than composite, so it will look better. Whether you actually have an eye for the quality differences is a whole different story. The SNES 2 definitely doesn't support svideo, unfortunately.

Laser rot is caused by a breakdown in the adhesive used to bond the 2 halves of laserdiscs together. Laserdiscs are 100% ANALOG video (boggles the mind, eh?) and when the metallic reflective surface becomes corroded noise is introduced into the video signal. Philips was demoing prototype laserdisc technology in the early 70s, well before digital video technology was even considerable.

Laserdisc video is encoded in composite fashion. Some laserdisc players have svideo jacks, but the signal is internally split into the Y/C signals to provide that functionality. Whether this is beneficial or not depends on the quality of the comb filters in the player/TV and your cable quality.

LD vs DVD was pretty ferverous when DVD first entered the scene, but the quality of the disc mastering and the quality of the players has pretty much eliminated that battle. That, and nobody really makes LD players and discs anymore. I was pretty well implanted in the LD camp, but nowadays I'm just used to the artifacts, and I get over it when I see the obviously increased signal quality of DVD (a lack of chroma noise & rolling or static line dropouts, etc.) Plus, if your TV's brightness/contrast settings are out of whack, you'll notice a lot more of the artifacts.