Thread: What game/s are you Playing? Daily check :)2012 PLEASE CLOSE

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been playing the following:

Monster Tale

I've been spending a lot of time grinding to unlock all of Chomp's forms. The only problem I've found is that the DS shoulder buttons are not that ergonomic. My fingers cramp up after a while, particularly if I'm spamming Chomp's moves to build up the combo counter.

Tales of Hearts

I quit doing sidequests and continued with the main story line. However, it's been so long since I played it, that I forgot what exactly I had to do. i quick check of an online walkthrough solved that problem.

It's funny though. I've played through 75% of the game, and only recently did I realize that the map has an icon showing you where you have to go! That would have been handy to know from the start, but none of guides I've read mentioned this fact. (At least I don't think they do.)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Oof, I've really had my hands full lately, so I feel like I haven't touched a game in weeks. I finally got in a tiny bit of gaming, but it barely counts since I was just testing a couple recent purchases. First I tried out Bakushou Jinsei 64: Mezase! Resort Ou for Nintendo 64. Nothing too exciting, just a Monopoly-style board game. Then I tried Final Fantasy Anthology on my original PlayStation. It's kind of frustrating, though, because my PlayStation is acting up or something. It was stuttering on both Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI, in particular during the opening FMVs, and it even crashed on Final Fantasy V when loading the third or so battle in the game. At first I thought it was maybe Final Fantasy V, since it does have some very light markings. It doesn't look like enough to cause a problem, though, and there definitely shouldn't be anything wrong with Final Fantasy VI since the disc looks pretty much flawless. Very strange. This PlayStation was brought brand new by myself back in 1999, I've treated it like gold, and it's always been perfect to me, except with discs that were significantly scratched, but I knew those problems were because of the disc and had nothing to do with the system. I don't know what could've happened since the last time I used it, although it probably has been several months since the last time. It just sits doing nothing in my entertainment center, so it couldn't have gotten damaged. It'll be really sad if it's dying on me all of the sudden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Oof, I've really had my hands full lately, so I feel like I haven't touched a game in weeks. I finally got in a tiny bit of gaming, but it barely counts since I was just testing a couple recent purchases. First I tried out Bakushou Jinsei 64: Mezase! Resort Ou for Nintendo 64. Nothing too exciting, just a Monopoly-style board game. Then I tried Final Fantasy Anthology on my original PlayStation. It's kind of frustrating, though, because my PlayStation is acting up or something. It was stuttering on both Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI, in particular during the opening FMVs, and it even crashed on Final Fantasy V when loading the third or so battle in the game. At first I thought it was maybe Final Fantasy V, since it does have some very light markings. It doesn't look like enough to cause a problem, though, and there definitely shouldn't be anything wrong with Final Fantasy VI since the disc looks pretty much flawless. Very strange. This PlayStation was brought brand new by myself back in 1999, I've treated it like gold, and it's always been perfect to me, except with discs that were significantly scratched, but I knew those problems were because of the disc and had nothing to do with the system. I don't know what could've happened since the last time I used it, although it probably has been several months since the last time. It just sits doing nothing in my entertainment center, so it couldn't have gotten damaged. It'll be really sad if it's dying on me all of the sudden.
    Sorry to hear.. this reminds me of exactly what happened to my first Playstation the day I got Final Fantasy VII. Stuttering on FMV, freezing during gameplay. Of course, this was FFVII, on an original model PS1, back on a 96° f day in 1997 (though heat might not have been a factor) so yeah... probably a different issue. Either way, I feel your pain.

Luckily, you can find another PS1 for like a dollar..
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 06-26-2012 at 03:10 AM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I actually already have two other PlayStations, and that's not even counting the PS2. :P It's more a matter of sentimental value than anything else. Plus, of the PlayStation systems I own (and have owned, since I've sold off quite a few in the past through the process of buying lots and selling off what I already have), this was always the best performing model (that is, this one could handle scratched up games better than the others). Strange that it would be having these issues before the others. If it does go belly up, I think I'd probably buy one of those replacement laser units, just to keep this one going in some fashion. The other two don't do me a lot of good, anyway, since one is on the other side of the country, and the other is one of those launch models that heat up like crazy and wouldn't trust for serious playing (I keep it around more as a collectible since it's CIB).

Anyway, as for my playing, I'm finally doing some real gaming. After putting it off for a long, long time, I finally started Resonance of Fate on Xbox 360. Man, people aren't joking around when they talk about it having a notorious learning curve and a near useless tutorial. I'm about 7 or 8 hours into the game, on Chapter 2, and I still feel pretty iffy on my grasp of the battle system. Battles are either no sweat, or turn bad very, very fast for me. So far I'm having reasonable fun. Nothing is really grabbing me, but nothing is turning me off either. I see shades of Valkyrie Profile 2 here (literally and figuratively, as the nothing-but-greys-and-browns palette makes a return), and I also see some Infinite Undiscovery concepts done in a much better fashion. I'll just have to keep playing to see how I'll really like it when all is said and done.

I also played a little bit of Wetrix on Nintendo 64 when a friend came over earlier.

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yesterday:

Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)

I wanted to play something different....something I had not playing in a while. (I think the discovery of more details on Kirby's 20th Anniversary Dreamland Collection may have helped my decision a bit.) I was nearly finished the game (still had some unlockables, but was most concerned with beating the main game) and was on Space Land. I only had a couple stages left and the boss. I thought for sure that was the end, but then it was revealed...I still had to rescue Dream Land! Dream Land was fun to play with music reminiscent of the older games and a yarn interpretation of the Whispy Woods! I made it to Yin Yarn and beat the game! Surprisingly, Yin Yarn wasn't as hard to beat as some of the earlier bosses. The end of the story was presented, the credits rolled, and I was satisfied to finally beat the game. My girlfriend got me the game for my anniversary in March 2011, making it a year and three months since I got it and a year and eight months since it was released to beat it.
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Wii)

More preparation for Kirby's 20th anniversary goodness! I love the nods to classic Kirby and the game is just downright addicting. My only complaint is the whole business of having to hunt down little gears in the most hard to find/uncover places. A small gripe I know...but still a wonderful game.
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that I finished Uncharted on PS3 and Battlefield on 360 I'm going to be playing Heavy Rain on my PS3 and Rumble Roses on my 360.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

More Resonance of Fate on Xbox 360. I just started Chapter 5, with about 15 hours on the clock. It's starting to get a wee bit repetitive. I'm doing a lot better with the battle system now, but most battles feel like going through the exact same motions over and over. It doesn't help that I've been pretty limited in where I can go. The dungeons for chapters 3 and 4 even reused the same overall area. Story isn't really going anywhere either. Mostly just a bunch of insignificant, unrelated tasks with cutscenes of corny, groan-worthy weeaboo humor. Well, besides the entirely predictable scenes of the dude who is so going to be the main villain, or one of the main villains at least. Here's to hoping they'll switch things up on me soon. I'm still enjoying myself, but if the game doesn't pull something to really impress me, it seems like this will be a fairly middle-of-the-road tri-Ace title. As silly as it sounds, I think the most fun I'm having in the game so far is playing around with Energy Hexes as I open up the map. It's really satisfying to find hidden items all over the place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finished the second level and pushed through the third level trying to get more parts to the spaceship. I got stuck on the second stage of level three trying to find an elusive energy sphere. I will have to search for where it is located. I have the first, third, and fourth spheres. Where oh where is the second?

The King of Hyrule
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1001 Blockbusters (DSiW) - I find it is an ok Arkanoid clone, but the elevator music is getting to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Xenon 2 (MD),Robo Eleste and Dungeon Master II (Sega CD) stella Assault (32X) also some homebrew games on the Zx Spectrum

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just bought a few English-translated SNES games which were never released in the U.S., so I'm playing them for now.

Do Re Me Fantasy: Milon's Quest for SNES
    Ranma 1/2: treasure of the Red Cat Gang
    Syvalion
    The Violinist of Hamelin

These are all good games.

The King of Hyrule
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) - I am about to enter Lakebed Temple, I just need to locate the tears of light first.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Wow, the last couple chapters in Resonance of Fate on Xbox 360 sure added a lot to my clock. I'm just about to start Chapter 7 (just have one last special challenge to do), and I now have over 30 hours on the clock. Thank goodness Chapter 6 had pretty normal story scenes. Chapter 5 was probably the worst yet as far as the otaku humor goes; I was literally going "Ugh..." during the cutscenes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Today:

I decided it was time to try to find remaining energy spheres in stage 2 in level 3 (Onion Ocean) and complete level 3. Some of the locations are obscure or you need a certain powerup or go a certain direction to the spheres. I managed to find them and make it through to the boss of level 3....a giant puffer fish! The game is awesome single player and I am sure even more awesome with multiplayer.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Just started Chapter 9 in Resonance of Fate on Xbox 360, with over 40 hours on the clock. Well, in terms of the number of chapters (I don't know if they're all quite balanced length-wise), I'm halfway through the game. o_O Why must modern RPGs be so slow-paced and long? Give me something like Chrono Trigger, where you can do everything in about 20 hours, and where every second feels worthwhile and satisfying. If I have another 40 hours ahead of me just to beat Resonance of Fate (that is, not even counting whatever post-game bonus dungeons it may have), I wonder if I'm still going to be enjoying it by then or if I'll be really sick of it. As it is, once I overcame the brutal learning curve and got the hang of things, the game's been fairly repetitive. The game tries to present itself as pretty strategic, and the diehard fans of it will claim as much, but, really, the best strategy to beat a battle is almost always the same general sequence of actions. Most of it is just a matter of going through the motions, and when you have the pattern down, the game doesn't offer a ton of challenge (although maybe if you skip everything but the story dungeons, it'd be a different situation). The special challenges in each chapter can be pretty tough sometimes, though. Beating the three Mad Goliaths in Chapter 8 took me a bunch of attempts (but in situations like that, sometimes it's more a matter of waiting for a lucky break rather than adjusting your strategy).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Today:

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection (Wii)
    Sonic Gems Collection (GC)
    Rampage Total Destruction (GC)
    Super Mario Sunshine (GC)
    Intellivision Lives! (GC)

Today was mostly an exercise in establishing save games for a bunch of my Gamecube games. My memory card stopped working for some unknown reason a while back and the Wii would only format the Gamecube memory card. I bought a new memory card but had not done anything to put new saves. Too many games with lost progress to want to go through again! I did enjoy a quick game of "Strikes and Spares" on the Pinball Hall of Fame disc. I love pinball games and this is the closest I will get to owning the real deal.

I played Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GG) on Sonic Gems Collection. I did something I have never been able to do even when I owned the game on the Game Gear: beat the first boss! I could not believe it when I beat that crab looking thing at the end of "Underground Zone." I even made it to the boss of Sky High Zone before losing my last life and moving on. Rampage Total Destruction is an interesting concept, but the whole grabbing on to the buildings has been made complicated and not as fluid in 3D. I mostly keep it because it has Rampage and Rampage World Tour on it! I made it through Super Mario Sunshine just far enough to get the first Shine Sprite and moved on. Intellivision Lives! is a fun little way to play Intellivsion without the benefit of the console itself. It would have been nice if they packaged a controller like the original that hooked to the Gamecube. I guess that would have been too costly, but I would have paid extra for it! It is a pain having to pull up the virtual controller to select the option on the overlay you want.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just finished Eternal Darkness for the first time.

I was very impressed at the quality of this game, the story and atmosphere are great, it's certainly one the the gest GC games I've played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm reasonably sure Russia is never going to leave the X-Com project at this point, so I'm giving UFO Defense a rest.

Lately I've been in a mood to smash stuff, so Burnout Revenge has been getting a spin in my PS2. Stuff was smashed, rest assured..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still playing Rumble Roses on the 360. I'm not even sure if this game has an ending or not. So far I just keep going from match to match with no particular destination.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.