Thread: Fallout 3 rant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Default Fallout 3 rant

Whoever coded the DLCs for this game need to be dragged out of their beds, thrown into the streets, have a pay-per-view camera put in their faces and a bullet put in each of their skulls FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE what happens when you take a crap on a plate and call it code.

How do you code this badly? HOW?! I can understand a few bugs here and there for a world with several miles of real estate, but there's a difference between that and pegging a system to the hilt that universities and military researchers are clustering for supercomputers! There's just no acceptable reason for ruining an otherwise great game with code I could have had written cleaner by a sack of badgers on meth.

And no other acceptable punishment except public execution.

That is all. Return to your regularly scheduled forums.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

While I haven't played the DLC, I found the original game tedious and dull.

Feel free to point fingers at me and howl like Donald Sutherland at the end of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. I can take it.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

this is what you get when publishers are allowed to release anything to the networks, there is no strict gestapo like the big N anymore regulating the trash that companies churn out, playtesting and bug fixxing is a thing of the past with the advent of updates on consoles "we'll fix it later..maybe" is the norm now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by AceAerosmith View Post
    While I haven't played the DLC, I found the original game tedious and dull.

Feel free to point fingers at me and howl like Donald Sutherland at the end of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. I can take it.
    Well you will find it more tedious and dull than the videogame crack-hit called Modern Warfare. If you're not in the dungeon for the crawl, then you're better off playing toy soldiers.
    Wants:
    Starflight II Starmap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    this is what you get when publishers are allowed to release anything to the networks, there is no strict gestapo like the big N anymore regulating the trash that companies churn out, playtesting and bug fixxing is a thing of the past with the advent of updates on consoles "we'll fix it later..maybe" is the norm now.
    I guess that's it. I've dealt with the "The consumer is the beta-tester" for ages in the PC world. Hell, it's been the epitome of Windows since... well... 1.0. But my console should not have this issue.

But I bet you a dollar that if such a bug were to allow something such as full access to the hypervisor, there'd be a fix before the programmers were even allowed to eat their next meal.
    Wants:
    Starflight II Starmap

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

the answer is simple they hired more texture artists and less coders... every game has a budget and sacrifices must be made so the creators get the world they want... bethesda has been known to do this a lot...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoProcess View Post
    the answer is simple they hired more texture artists and less coders... every game has a budget and sacrifices must be made so the creators get the world they want... bethesda has been known to do this a lot...
    To be expected from this generation of gamers. They don't want solid... they want pretty.
    Wants:
    Starflight II Starmap

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have no idea how those buggy piles of crap made it through both Microsoft and Sony's cert process. You should see some of the things that get a game rejected, those DLC packs had to fail about half the tests. Even Activision can't push a game through cert, i can't imagine how Bethesda was able to do it.

Though thinking about it further...

The DLC packs probably don't have any executable binary, so they might not be subject to the same tests as a full retail game. I've never worked on any DLC project of that magnitude
    Last edited by ProgrammingAce; 01-11-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    I still have no idea how those buggy piles of crap made it through both Microsoft and Sony's cert process. You should see some of the things that get a game rejected, those DLC packs had to fail about half the tests. Even Activision can't push a game through cert, i can't imagine how Bethesda was able to do it.
    Money and/or sex. Copious amounts of either/both.

Though thinking about it further...

The DLC packs probably don't have any executable binary, so they might not be subject to the same tests as a full retail game. I've never worked on any DLC project of that magnitude

Its no use, Ace... their developers can't handle content of that magnitude!
    Wants:
    Starflight II Starmap

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by Sabz5150 View Post
    To be expected from this generation of gamers. They don't want solid... they want pretty.
    Well to be blunt... im a 3d texture artist by trade and the fallout games are a fing masterpiece in my eyes... but in a coders eyes they may say differently...

You have to understand games are created by artists now, not coders so much anymore... and a artist wants pretty... what functionality does have anyway?
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

the one thing about the game in general not just the DLC's that pissed me off and i don't think i ever tried it in new vegas to see if they fixed it (Although just about everything buggy about Fallout 3 is in new vegas i found so far) is when your running through a Super Mutant territory and there is something for them to duck behind they duck behind it... Thats fine and dandy

But why is it when they duck behind a car and i got a clean shot at their head through the cars doors where the windows once were before being blasted out and When i goto shoot my bullet stops dead in its tracks?
    Its just friggin annoying!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Well to be blunt... im a 3d texture artist by trade and the fallout games are a fing masterpiece in my eyes... but in a coders eyes they may say differently...
    I love the Fallout games as well. I love them enough to criticize the hell out of them and then spend the next six hours scavving the wastes.

You have to understand games are created by artists now, not coders so much anymore... and a artist wants pretty... what functionality does (Starry Night) have anyway?
    At least that is a still image that is enjoyable to look at. A still image that is not enjoyable to look at is a Chinese Dragoon floating in the air like the Air Jordan logo for ten minutes because the pretty slammed my system to the wall. Oh shit, gotta make sure the rendered wind whips AROUND him for that nanosecond he's not in a billion pieces!
    Wants:
    Starflight II Starmap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

You have to understand games are created by artists now, not coders so much anymore... and a artist wants pretty.

It's been awhile since I've played Fallout 3 on the 360, but I'm pretty amazed at how nice looking New Vegas is on the console.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I never had a problem with bugs* in the Anchorage or that swamp area DLC, haven't really tried any others.

*other than anything that might happen in Fallout 3 without DLC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just picked up the Game of the Year Edition for $20 new for PS3. I'm curious to see the glitches and bugs that everyone is complaining about. It's unfortunate that in the age of software patches/updates a lot of developers seem to take the route of releasing buggy and unfinished games with the attitude of we can fix it later with a software patch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I just picked up the Game of the Year Edition for $20 new for PS3. I'm curious to see the glitches and bugs that everyone is complaining about. It's unfortunate that in the age of software patches/updates a lot of developers seem to take the route of releasing buggy and unfinished games with the attitude of we can fix it later with a software patch.
    I don't lay all blame upon the developers... the execs and marketoids who lay out unattainable deadlines and features also need some cranial ventilation. Their belief is "Sell now, make money now, fix issues later!"

Play Operation Anchorage and go out into the battlefield where the shelling is happening. You'll see what we're talking about.

Better yet, complete Anchorage, put on the Chinese Stealth Suit and check yourself in the third person.
    Wants:
    Starflight II Starmap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sabz5150 View Post
    I don't lay all blame upon the developers... the execs and marketoids who lay out unattainable deadlines and features also need some cranial ventilation. Their belief is "Sell now, make money now, fix issues later!"

Play Operation Anchorage and go out into the battlefield where the shelling is happening. You'll see what we're talking about.

Better yet, complete Anchorage, put on the Chinese Stealth Suit and check yourself in the third person.
    I should have rephrased my earlier statement, I lay blame on the studio/publisher as a whole.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

It's just not the DLC; the base game was like this too. It's a problem with their engine; it doesn't appreciate larger save files. When I still owned New Vegas, my level 25 save was unplayable without lag and freezes. My Fallout 3 game was the same way and it became noticeably worse when I purchased the GOTY edition to play the DLC's.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't play the series but doesn't The Elder Scrolls games suffer from the same problems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by Jaruff View Post
    It's just not the DLC; the base game was like this too. It's a problem with their engine; it doesn't appreciate larger save files. When I still owned New Vegas, my level 25 save was unplayable without lag and freezes. My Fallout 3 game was the same way and it became noticeably worse when I purchased the GOTY edition to play the DLC's.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't play the series but doesn't The Elder Scrolls games suffer from the same problems?
    Now that's something I have not experienced. My saves are 16 and 12 megs (FO3/NV) and I've never had that kind of issue. Oddly enough, I've never had issues with New Vegas. With FO3, my problems started right when I got the GOTY. I played the entire game through using the original version with no DLC and never had an issue.
    Wants:
    Starflight II Starmap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaruff View Post

I guess that depends on what version you're talking about. I didn't notice a ton of lag while playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas on the 360, but it was pretty bad with Skyrim on the PS3. The problem with porting a 360/PC game to the PS3 is the amount of RAM that the PS3 has. The PS3 memory is faster than that of the 360, so games designed around that advantage work fine. It's when a game like Skyrim uses system memory to keep track of every dead person and trinket you've found, that it becomes a problem for the PS3.