Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Manufacturing errors

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spongebob in Final Fantasy. Elmo in Castlevania. They should have a system that checks to see if the right data was printed on the disc or not.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    I finally asked about the the Castlevania ~Symphony of the Night~ Greatest Hits data error. The game on the disc is Elmo's Number Journey.

Edit: noticing Serious Sam Data N 1 Defective Disc Recalled. I know of 7 other games like that
    Tales of Eternia PSP PAL-EU, Volt Glitch
    Star Ocean ~Till the End of Time~ PS2 NTSC-J/Japan, Crashing on SCPH-10000
    Tales of Graces Wii NTSC-J/Japan, Extremely Buggy
    Pokémon ~Fushigi no Dungeon Blue~ DS NTSC-J/Japan, Erases GBA Saves on unrelated games
    Ar tonelico II ~Melody of Metafalica~ PS2 NTSC-U/C, A Super Boss' special attack crashes the game.
    Pokémon RS (GBA both first versions, Emerald was fine) series all regions, Berry Glitch (RTC bug)
    The first 4 were quickly recalled the 5th was never fixed and the 6th was fixed via patching.
    I only included ones that were Severe/potentially game breaking, difficult to avoid, or were corrected via extreme measures (ie disc replacement or offline patching, minor ones are not included like Star Ocean 2 and 4 crash bugs are rare in 2 and are easily avoidable in 4 nor are beneficial bugs FFVII W-Item bug).

Edit2: Added bug info, more games
    The Legend of Zelda ~Skyward Sword~ Wii NTSC-U/C Event trigger failure
    Lunar ~Silver Star Story Complete~ Demo. PS1 NTSC-U/C Nall Ocarina bug during save transfer to final game
    Lunar Legend GBA Item Duplication/Erasure bug NTSC-U/C possibly others.
    Holiday 2004 Demo PS2 NTSC-U/C Viewtiful Joe erases PS2 memory cards
    Latter was Recalled.

the only real programming errors i will list are ones where the game is completely broken ie won't start up
    you think the guy with that castlevania is willing to sell?
    Last edited by hybrid0; 02-10-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hybrid0 View Post
    the only real programming errors i will list are ones where the game is completely broken ie won't start up
    you think the guy with that castlevania is willing to sell?
    I doubt it, BTW he owns a video game store that is why I'm a bit hesitant to give too much info, I don't think he would be too happy if he starts getting phone calls asking about it. I'm going back on Tuesday so I'll mention this site again.
    Edit: Of the programming errors.
    Tales of Eternia PSP PAL-EU can only be played about 2/3 of the way through before the Volt mandatory event, the crash is unavoidable
    Star Ocean ~Till the End of Time~ PS2 NTSC-J/Japan, Crashing on SCPH-10000 The crashes are due to a SDK version conflict rendering it almost unplayable
    Tales of Graces Wii NTSC-J/Japan, http://translate.google.com/translat...ages%2F75.html
    Several Dreamcast launch titles won't start at all http://www.zdnetasia.com/glitch-mars...h-13019281.htm
    The others don't break the game or are avoidable.
    Last edited by Tokimemofan; 02-10-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

updated

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread makes me want to look at every word of every page of every video game manual, and on every single game disc, that I own.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    This thread makes me want to look at every word of every page of every video game manual, and on every single game disc, that I own.
    for data errors heres the easiest way to check ps1 games that are greatest hits release (one which have little printing on it )

notice the drastically different PSRM numbers between the ring and whats printed near the edge of the disc

for others not so visible you can pop it into our computer and check out the files like here
    Last edited by hybrid0; 02-12-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

update

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Error Spotlight is a little showcasing i do of particular errors with certain games.

Error Spotlight: Mortal Kombat 4

whats to say about Mortal Kombat 4. is it a good game i personally liked it,not the best looking though.then again I'm an MK fan. why would this game be featured in an error spotlight? Simple really its a silver back game not by choice. unlike the recent re-releases of some of the Squeenix RPG's. there is only one copy of this game misprint known which Phins owned and sold to Dangerboy. what most likely happened with this particular game is it was either pressed on the wrong type of plastic blank or there was no pigment to color it blue/black.

some things to look out for from the front of the disc is the middle ring is clear lacking any of the dark blue pigment in the plastic and its also noticeable near the outer edge of the disc.

the back is plain to see though. some people may be thinking pirate also known as a HK silver. from the picture of the disc i can see the small bar code present on the disc. what is not visible is the PSRM and other numbers which are on every ps1 disc. which is most likely a lighting issue and not that they are not there. i've seen some of the re-released Squeenix games on ebay as an error which is not the case with those games (Chrono Cross,Final Fantasy 9,Final Fantasy Anthology,Final Fantasy Chronicles,Final Fantasy Origins.)
    Final Fantasy Chronicles (FF IV and Chrono Trigger compilation game) - This is an impossible to find error version. We were recently informed that there are only two copies known to exist. This game is virtually impossible to find. The error is that Sony printed it from the factory using silver backed discs instead of the PS1 standard of black label discs. This game is for play on the Playstation 1 (PS1) and Playstation 2 (PS2) video game system console. Most Playstation 3 (PS3) consoles are backwards compatible and can also play these games. Please check Play Station's website for details. Condition: Comes COMPLETE with original case, instruction manual, front and back cover artwork/game descriptions, and game discs! This auction comes from a dust-free, pet-free, smoke-free, and moisture-free environment. Everything is working perfectly and is in mint used condition! HUGE COMBINED SHIPPING DISCOUNT on ALL of our auctions with a shipping cost of $12 or less! Buy multiple auctions, and pay for the highest shipping price on the first auction, and then EACH ADDITIONAL PURCHASE SHIPS FOR NO ADDITIONAL COST! This is only for auctions ending within 5 days of each other, AND you must wait for us to send the invoice. If you are ready to pay, please request the total or email us. EXAMPLE: You buy three auctions. The cost of shipping on those three is $10.35, $8.95, and $4.95. You would only pay the $10.35, and we will ship the other two FOR FREE! There is NO LIMIT ON HOW MANY YOU GET THE DISCOUNT FOR!!! Bidding requirements - You must have a USA PayPal account and USA eBay account, and be paying by PayPal with an address within the 50 United States of America. You must make payment within 5 days of the end of the auction. You are responsible for asking all questions before bidding. All non-paying bidders will be reported to eBay. We do not accept ANY excuses for non-paying bidders. We DO NOT ship to APO/FPO, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico, or any other location outside of the 50 United States. Thank you for looking at our auction and good luck bidding!
    source HERE

the misinformed person was trying to sell that game for an astounding $1,000. while i would not buy this error for $1,000
    it does deserve a spot in my thread special thanks to Dangerboy for sharing this TRUELY rare error.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

A lot (maybe the majority?) of copies of Harvest Moon 64 shipped with spelling errors in the manual and the game itself. Natsume had misspelled their own company name on the title screen.

Actually, this isn't uncommon. There are a number of Harvest Moon games with spelling and grammatical errors, although Harvest Moon 64 is the biggest offender.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

update

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

• Astal for the SEGA Saturn doesn't have the name on the side of the case. It's the only Saturn game I know of that doesn't have the name on the side.

• There are a few of SEGA Saturn games that have the Saturn logo rotated 180 degrees on the side of the case. You can tell because the shine on the blue sphere in the logo is on the wrong side. Battle Arena Toshinden URA Ultimate Revenge Attack and Rayman are two that I know of.

• The 32X logo on Doom is upside down. All of the other 32X games (that I know of) have the 32X logo facing up. It's facing down on Doom.

• The manual for Zillion on the SEGA Master System tells you to input the Suicide code in wrong room, which sucks, because you die if you do.

• There are copies of Pyscho Fox for the SEGA Master System misspelled Psyco Fox.

• There are copies of Monopoly for the SEGA Master System mistyped Mono Poly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I don't see any Atari games up here.

Two common errors are 2600 Pole Position with Pole Positn on the end label.
    Raiders of the Lost Ark 2600 with Raiders Lost ark on the end label.

Both are fairly common as far as errors go and you should be able to find both of these pretty quicky.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'll add some but heres one more for the 3DS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32913E08-D1F5-74D1-D0BDCE77569597D6.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	4497  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are a couple of errors for Sega Genesis:

Barkley: Shut Up And Jam! - upside down label

Strider II: Strider Returns - Strider II label on top of original Strider label

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78 View Post
    Here are a couple of errors for Sega Genesis:

Barkley: Shut Up And Jam! - upside down label

Strider II: Strider Returns - Strider II label on top of original Strider label

any pics?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if hardware packaging errors are worth mentioning(or even if this technically counts as game hardware), but the Smashing Pumpkins guitar hero faceplate says "Smashing Pumkins" on the side of the box. It's like this on every one I've ever seen.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    I don't see any Atari games up here.

Two common errors are 2600 Pole Position with Pole Positn on the end label.
    Raiders of the Lost Ark 2600 with Raiders Lost ark on the end label.

Both are fairly common as far as errors go and you should be able to find both of these pretty quicky.
    2600 games added to the list

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

updated

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

There's at least two of the Crash n Burn misprints. I just found my copy and the SLUS I have is SLUS-21013F and the UPC is 788687500302.
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Of The Felines View Post
    There's at least two of the Crash n Burn misprints. I just found my copy and the SLUS I have is SLUS-21013F and the UPC is 788687500302.
    you got a pic?
    as with any missing inserts only sealed counts