Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 Manufacturing Workers Threaten Mass Suicide in China (GameSpot)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Xbox 360 Manufacturing Workers Threaten Mass Suicide in China (GameSpot)

Story by Laura Parker, GameSpot AU

Foxconn -- one of the world's largest contract manufacturers of electronic components and products for companies like Apple, Dell, HP, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft -- has once again come under fire over poor working conditions at one of its Chinese factories.

According to a WantChina Times report, around 300 employees at the Foxconn Technology Park in Wuhan, China, (reportedly working on the Xbox 360 manufacturing line) threatened a mass suicide from the building's roof last week after Foxconn refused to pay out compensation packages it had previously promised.

A group of Chinese workers on the Xbox 360 manufacturing line have threatened mass suicide over pay disputes.

Citing Chinese antigovernment website China Jasmine Revolution, WantChina Times reports that the Foxconn employees first asked for a raise, which was refused, before being told they had a choice between continuing work at the current pay rate or quitting their positions and receiving a compensation package.

According to the report, Foxconn terminated the promised agreement when most of the employees chose the compensation package.

The workers climbed onto the building's roof and threatened to jump in protest but were reportedly dissuaded from the suicide attempt by the mayor of Wuhan.

Microsoft has since issued the following statement to media in response to the reports:

"Microsoft takes working conditions in the factories that manufacture its products very seriously, and we are currently investigating this issue."

"We have a stringent Vendor Code of Conduct that spells out our expectations, and we monitor working conditions closely on an ongoing basis and address issues as they emerge. Microsoft is committed to the fair treatment and safety of workers employed by our vendors, and to ensuring conformance with Microsoft policy."

Foxconn made international headlines in 2010 after 18 employees attempted suicide, and 14 died in protest over poor working conditions and low wages throughout Foxconn's factories in China.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6348437.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone willing to kill themselves because someone is screwing them over is a moron and really should just do the world a favour and jump.
    If my employer pulled that shit, you can bet it would be management on that roof getting pushed by the employees.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Anyone willing to kill themselves because someone is screwing them over is a moron and really should just do the world a favour and jump.
    If my employer pulled that shit, you can bet it would be management on that roof getting pushed by the employees.
    Well what else are they going to do? It's not like they can sue their employer, they're in China and Foxconn can just pay off the government.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post

reportedly dissuaded from the suicide attempt by the mayor of Wuhan.
    Pussies

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

yea but in china if you pull that kinda shit management will have your ass on the roof under a firing squad....

They don't call em sweat shops for nothing. Cause in their eyes they get rid of one employee they will replace you with one of the million more waiting in line.

But at the same time i say fuck them pull the work out in general bring it back over here... We as american citizens should be making those xbox's.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's really the fault of consumers. If people really dislike the poor working conditions at these factories they should refuse to buy anything made there until working conditions improve. If sales tank then companies will take notice and actually change things. Of course this won't happen as consumers really don't care about these types of issues, as long as they can save $5 they're happy.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    "Microsoft takes working conditions in the factories that manufacture its products very seriously, and we are currently investigating this issue."
    Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    It's really the fault of consumers. If people really dislike the poor working conditions at these factories they should refuse to buy anything made there until working conditions improve. If sales tank then companies will take notice and actually change things. Of course this won't happen as consumers really don't care about these types of issues, as long as they can save $5 they're happy.
    I agree, but with something like video game consoles, you don't have a choice. That's the manufacturer's fault.

And honestly, us consumers don't save shit on made-by-slave goods. When all that started in the 90's, when we told our older Asian allies to get fucked, and gave China their business, the prices of goods didn't go down. Yeah, it's cheaper to buy a chinese lighter, but Nike's haven't gone down. Namebrand shit has really cleaned house on the cheap labor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Well what else are they going to do?
    Fuck up the assembly line. Punch their supervisor in the dick. Take a shit in every console.
    If they're willing to throw their lives away, why not have a blast doing it?
    Or they could just not kill themselves and stop working there.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

No wonder we had so many RROD's. Parts were made in China. Go figure.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyvale View Post
    I agree, but with something like video game consoles, you don't have a choice. That's the manufacturer's fault.
    True, as we all know buying video game consoles is mandatory. It's the law, or something like that.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    True, as we all know buying video game consoles is mandatory. It's the law, or something like that.
    Heh, I know what you're saying, but I think you're downplaying the popularity of video games (Never thought I'd say that on DP!). I haven't bought a new console since the N64 came out. People are going to buy them, no matter where they're made. Now give them a choice, maybe it's different.
    You own a 360?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Fuck up the assembly line. Punch their supervisor in the dick. Take a shit in every console.
    If they're willing to throw their lives away, why not have a blast doing it?
    Or they could just not kill themselves and stop working there.
    Again, that is CHINA. Pull that sort of shit and you, your family, and your dog get punished over and over and over and over and over for years to come. And where else will they get a job? If they quit it'll just make other companies not want to hire them because -they quit-.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    No wonder we had so many RROD's. Parts were made in China. Go figure.
    That computer you're using is probably 75-85% made in China, so...
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The RRoD situation had nothing to do with the consoles being manufactured in China. Instead, you can blame Europe and their RoHs laws.

The console was designed with leaded solder in mind, which Europe made illegal as of January 1, 2006. The manufacturing process for RoHs compliant solder wasn't nearly as mature and the consoles began to fail. Even today, working with lead-free solder is hit and miss.
    Last edited by ProgrammingAce; 01-12-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

well thats one of the reasons china is rising to power so fast..

They promise cheap labor for companies looking to outsource to make more bang for their buck.
    Most if not all major shoe companies do so

Alot of clothing companies as well

Alot of electronics.

All the work that could keep people who are unemployed working is in china. Other places are India and Taiwan and Thailand and Mexico. But hey what you gonna do about that?

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

It's nice and all to tell consumers that they can vote with their wallets, but considering all the things in life made in sweatshops today, even someone opting for a simple life without electronics would still probably end up with many sweatshop-made items, or be prepare to pay a hefty premium for products made in North American (or even Europe).

Several years ago, I read No Logo by Naomi Klein, and even though it was quite an interesting read, it was also really depressing.

Anyway, hope that these workers do get their compensation, but I somehow doubt it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    All the work that could keep people who are unemployed working is in china. Other places are India and Taiwan and Thailand and Mexico. But hey what you gonna do about that?
    There's not a whole lot to be done about it. If americans stand up and stop buying products made in china, instead of having those goods produced in the US, they just won't be produced.

America no longer has the infrastructure to produce goods. We'd have to start by building the factories, designing the equipment, setting up trade agreements with other countries to get the raw supplies, etc, etc. You're looking at decades of work and hundreds of billions of dollars just so your Xbox says "made in america" instead of "made in china". No one is ever going to foot that bill.

Besides, a lot of the products we rely on can no longer be legally produced in the US. Batteries, for example, are so toxic to manufacture that the EPA would never allow it. Hope you don't mind plugging in all of these American Made products. A cellphone isn't so useful when it has to be plugged into the wall to work.

If forced to choose between the two options, i'd rather see Mattel dumping their toxic chemicals into the Yellow river then the Mississippi.
    Last edited by ProgrammingAce; 01-12-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyvale View Post
    Heh, I know what you're saying, but I think you're downplaying the popularity of video games (Never thought I'd say that on DP!). I haven't bought a new console since the N64 came out. People are going to buy them, no matter where they're made. Now give them a choice, maybe it's different.
    You own a 360?
    It's not that they don't have a choice, it's that people don't care and will buy them anyway. That's what I said in my post. I don't have any of the current home consoles anyway.

In any case I never said anything about not buying things made overseas, I said people should not buy anything if the working conditions aren't good for the workers. Why not insist that factories are inspected by an independent source to check on the working conditions and have them make their report available to the public? These inspections don't even have to do with any type of official local law, they could be allowed voluntarily by various companies. People can stop buying things made in factories with poor working conditions until the conditions improve and are reported as such. Restaurants have health inspections and those results are posted publicly, people won't choose to eat in a place that hasn't passed inspections so why not insist on factories having inspections too?

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Besides, a lot of the products we rely on can no longer be legally produced in the US. Batteries, for example, are so toxic to manufacture that the EPA would never allow it. Hope you don't mind plugging in all of these American Made products. A cellphone isn't so useful when it has to be plugged into the wall to work.
    Plenty of batteries are made in the USA, the Kirkland ones at Costco are all made in the US. Other companies still make batteries in the US too.

http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/Me...tegory_Code=en
    http://www.rei.com/search?cat=450046...SA=Made+in+USA

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

There always has been a "Workshop of the World", whether it be in London, Philadelphia, or Shenzhen. Any place that has lax labor laws will always have abusive worker-company relationships, the people are desperate and the company wants to get as much product out as they can. This is compounded by the Chinese government cooperating while this abuse happens, and cracking down on any opposition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    Ha

Ha ha

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Shit, you think we're that well off? MOST COMPANIES LEFT MEXICO AND WENT TO INDIA AND CHINA BECAUSE OUR SALARIES ARE TOO HIGH. I'M NOT FUCKING KIDDING.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Ha

Ha ha

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Shit, you think we're that well off? MOST COMPANIES LEFT MEXICO AND WENT TO INDIA AND CHINA BECAUSE OUR SALARIES ARE TOO HIGH. I'M NOT FUCKING KIDDING.
    REAL taco's should be enough.