Thread: Kid Icarus gets a packed in Crutch?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Kid Icarus gets a packed in Crutch?

So..Just read this article on IGN..and I'm not sure how I feel about this...http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1216423p1.html

Apparently its so uncomfortable to play they give you a DS "crutch" to stand it on..yet making it..what seems even more uncomfortable to me
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

*FACEPALM* The left handed stick attachment should be used in conjunction with the right handed stick, one for shooting and the other for movement. Nintendo is starting to slip here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo and their 3DS continues to amaze me.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Games that control like this bug me. I gave up on the Bastion demo for the same reason. How exactly is this "crutch" is supposed to help make it better anyways?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It's also in the North American version: http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=170052

Had they not said it was going to come in 2011, it wouldn't be released so soon. Especially since it's coming out after the Circle Pad Pro comes out, they should delay the game again to add it in.

I hope that it won't be another twenty years before another Kid Icarus game, and that if the next one is on the 3DS, it uses the Circle Pad Pro.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Did no one who finds this so uncomfortable play any of the many DS games that require you to hold that system the same way? I know, games like Zelda are obscure and all, but a few people might've played them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I thought I was going to hate the Zelda controls but got used to them fairly quickly. In the Zelda games you mainly use the stylus...not constantly using the stylus and buttons at the same time.

Correct me if I'm reading it wrong, but it looks like in this game you run around with the D-Pad,control stick, or whatever...and choose where you shoot with the stylus. I'm guessing that's what's leading to the hand cramps and just seems like such an awkward control scheme in general. Even on a PC with a mouse I still find if incredibly awkward.

But still...I remember getting "Nintendo hand" from playing the NES for hours on end back in the day as well.
    Last edited by jb143; 01-13-2012 at 04:22 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Am I the only one thinking about the cool, larger artbox this game will have to come in to include said 'crutch' ??

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This will not be the first 3D "tabletop-bound" system from Nintendo. We all know how well the last one did.

What happened to the thumb pad on a wrist strap we got with the DS? You know, THIS thing:

That's the best picture I can find. I don't think they included them after the original DS, but I still have and use mine. It's a lot more comfortable than using a stylus for prolonged periods...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_-Worlds-first-images-of-Nintendo-DS-thumb-strap-_.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	4308  

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Is this crutch going to be like the Virtual Boy stand?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Am I the only one thinking about the cool, larger artbox this game will have to come in to include said 'crutch' ??
    Nope. I enjoy large, outer cardboard boxes... reminds me of when games originally came in cardboard boxes...

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But with how small the current game boxes are, it can't be that much bigger. Heck, they might just use a paper box instead of the white plastic ones they use now to keep costs the same.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm all about larger boxes..even if they don't contain anything..last one I picked up was probably Hyperdimension Neptunia on PS3..special edition had a big cardboard box to house the Art Book
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0) drthielegood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    drthielegood

So it looks like the control scheme for Kid Icarus will be as uncomfortable as Metroid Prime for the original DS. Why wouldn't they just design the game with better controls so we don't need this crutch thing. And here I though t that the 3ds might leave my nightstand after all these months. Guess not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

At least Metroid had a mode where you could use XBXY for aiming and the d-pad for movement. Made it playable so you didn't have to use the touch screen and that awful thumb pad attachment.

I've thought this game looked unappealing since day 1, and this news about the control for the game just cements my opinion to skip this (Despite liking the older games in the series, which this game doesn't even seem to resemble beyond sharing a common name).

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    At least Metroid had a mode where you could use XBXY for aiming and the d-pad for movement. Made it playable so you didn't have to use the touch screen and that awful thumb pad attachment.

I've thought this game looked unappealing since day 1, and this news about the control for the game just cements my opinion to skip this (Despite liking the older games in the series, which this game doesn't even seem to resemble beyond sharing a common name).
    Yeah, I feel you. It's kind of like Castlevania: Lord of Shadows. A CV game in name only. I guess KI:U is a rail shooter? That's all I can gather from the press.

Anyway, though I love my 3DS, I can tell you that MANY games on it are uncomfortable to play, whether you're using the stick or the D-Pad. The worst offenders are Xevious 3D and Twinbee 3D. My hand hurts after a couple minutes. I have a feeling that the "uncomfortable" complaint that they're addressing with this crutch is not exclusive to KI, and it's only become a big deal because this is a game they're actually bothering to test and get feedback on.