Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stacking Consoles: Good Idea?

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    That suggestion was already made in that thread, but it is probably the easiest solution that wouldn't end up killing either console.
    Oh, I thought I had read through everything, too..

Yeah the separation of the units is the best part of it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

can the ps3 slim be stacked vertically without the extra stand?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

I must contain myself...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I say just put 'em both horizontal on the TV stand in front of the screen like I do. They are not tall enough to block any of the screen.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS3 slim should fit on the side of the TV, laying flat and pushed back a bit. Not exactly symmetry, but it might be the only solution that involves both of them laying flat. Depending on your TV, the 360 may fit under a side of the TV as well, but with heat going up it might not be great for the LCD.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi retroditch. I have a similar space issue. what i did was find a cheap partical board stand at walmart. It's only slightly wider than the ps3 Its not the best looking thing but it holds my wii,ps3 and ps2. I used some 3m double sided foam tape to add a cheap av selector to the inside of it so i can have all three systems hooked up because my tv only has one set of av jacks.

I doubt you'll be able to find a stand just like it but if your handy it would be easy to build. Whatever you do just be sure your consoles get lots of air.

Last edited by rlemmon; 01-16-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    If you think that's not a lot of space then you must be very well off, you have a ton of space if you can fit 2 TVs(one widescreen) with entertainment cabinets, a computer cabinet with desktop computer, a full size keyboard, and a bed.

You should get a plastic mat for the office chair so you won't ruin the carpet.

If that's not enough space for these things to run then they're not designed for normal use, I'm sorry but that's plenty of space to leave around electronics to run properly.
    The vents on the xbox 1 are on the sides. looks to be about a quarter inch on each side of that console. I know the xbox 1 vents on the rear, but, let it breathe. I overheated my 360 slim the second night in a situation similar to his, admittedly it did sit next to my receiver. Now it sits outside of the cabinet on the box it came in. I stand by my affirmation that the newer consoles especially the 360 (no matter the variant) needs to breathe. The ps3 slim could get away with that 360 positioning, but i wouldn't trust the 360 there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

You do what you want, OP. If you stack them, I'd recommend a nice tube of construction adhesive. A half-inch bead across the top of the PS3 and set that 360 right down. Let it cure for a while before you move them though. And use a strong set of sliding vice clamps to hold them together until the adhesive sets.

Construction adhesive: that shit'll bond anything! ( Copyright 2011 Bonding Shit Enterprises All rights reserved.)
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AceAerosmith View Post
    You do what you want, OP. If you stack them, I'd recommend a nice tube of construction adhesive. A half-inch bead across the top of the PS3 and set that 360 right down. Let it cure for a while before you move them though. And use a strong set of sliding vice clamps to hold them together until the adhesive sets.

Construction adhesive: that shit'll bond anything! ( Copyright 2011 Bonding Shit Enterprises All rights reserved.)
    Would attaching a PS3 to your 360's case void your warranty? Sounds like an unauthorized modification to me...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Regardless if you didn't have room you still don't want to stack anything. The consoles are made to be on flat surfaces. You have a console that isn't on a flat surface and every game you play from then on could get eaten up, etc. There's always the possibility.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalhat View Post
    The vents on the xbox 1 are on the sides. looks to be about a quarter inch on each side of that console. I know the xbox 1 vents on the rear, but, let it breathe. I overheated my 360 slim the second night in a situation similar to his, admittedly it did sit next to my receiver. Now it sits outside of the cabinet on the box it came in. I stand by my affirmation that the newer consoles especially the 360 (no matter the variant) needs to breathe. The ps3 slim could get away with that 360 positioning, but i wouldn't trust the 360 there.
    I stand by my statement, they're not designed for normal use then. Keeping a video game console in an entertainment cabinet is pretty normal in 2012 and has been for several years, it's not the late 70's or early 80's where everyone kept their one console on the coffee table in front of them. There's at least an inch of space on both sides of the Xbox 1, that should be enough space for it to work properly. There's tons of space around the 360, if it will still overheat with that much space I wouldn't trust it to last no matter where it's kept.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Stacking a 360 on top of a PS3 would be problematic (stacking anything on top of a PS3 is problematic, thanks curvy mccurves a lot) but the other way around works pretty well, at least with older 360's, I dunno about slim 360's. My PS3 is a slim, so in that case dunno about original.

Anyway, yeah, heat whatever, the main vent on the 360 isn't on the top, it's on the right side. This is why setting it vertically is incredibly stupid, as it's then covering the main entrance for airflow. The top vent holes seem to be mostly cosmetic, but you can arrange the PS3 not to really cover them anyway.

And the PS3 (slim) doesn't have any vents on the bottom, so it's not going to suffer, but just in case, you can use some sort of spacer in between. For a while I used a laptop chill pad, but I moved that to my DVR because it was running warm, and now I use some rubber "feet" that came with a computer tower that I never bothered to attach since the tower sits on carpet anyway. They're maybe .75" thick and leave plenty of room between the two for airflow.

In addition, my 360 fans are cranked up, and I have a small USB powered fan that I point at whatever system is running at the time as well to make sure they get plenty of fresh air.

I should mention under my PS3 and 360 sits my original Xbox. It's slightly curved, sure, but no so much the 360 doesn't fit nicely.

I used to also have a PS2 (old model) and NES (toaster) under the Xbox, and a broken DVD player between the Xbox and 360 (It just made for a nice platform) then a working DVD player between the 360 and PS3 (though sometimes the Wii was there instead of the PS3, now it sits to the side since I got rid of the old inkjet printer that was taking up a lot of space) but I moved stuff around a lot recently.

I really don't have any options besides stacking. My space is what it is, and these are systems I use too frequently to be always futzing around with taking them down and putting them someplace else when I want to use another system.