Thread: What should I do with my (repaired) 60 GB PS3?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Default What should I do with my (repaired) 60 GB PS3?

So my 60GB system kicked it with a YLOD last week. I found a good deal on a new style Black Friday bundle and went ahead and purchased that. I still went ahead and did a reflow on my 60GB with a heat gun and it is working now, enough to do the system transfer, at least.

But what should I do with the thing now? I already miss the memory card reader, but that's surmountable. I don't need two systems and I feel like the 60 is just a ticking time bomb, so I won't be actively using it anymore. But should I hang onto it for some reason? I have a slim PS2 that I can pull out if needed, and I don't switch between games often enough to make that any big deal. I only played a couple PS2 games on it anyway.

I do worry about selling it, though. Even though I'll be completely upfront about its condition when I sell it, it could die in a week or a month or a year and I don't want someone pissed at me. Is it even worth anything in its current condition?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

I wouldnt worry about selling it, if upfront about it no one really has the right to be pissed at you. They can only really blame themselves for taking the risk... at least that's how i see it...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

There's no reason to do a reflow to do a system deactivation any longer. Sony announced a website that you can deactivate all systems linked to a PSN account when the two system activations per console per PSN account was released.

Or atleast it was announced as such. Never did check and see if it actually worked.

*edit*

Deactivate consoles using PC. For video activations, one per PSN account, you're required to use the console though.

http://us.playstation.com/support/an....htm?a_id=2616
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-17-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    There's no reason to do a reflow to do a system deactivation any longer. Sony announced a website that you can deactivate all systems linked to a PSN account when the two system activations per console per PSN account was released.

Or atleast it was announced as such. Never did check and see if it actually worked.

*edit*

Deactivate consoles using PC. For video activations, one per PSN account, you're required to use the console though.

http://us.playstation.com/support/an....htm?a_id=2616
    I mostly did the reflow so I could do the data transfer. I'm near then end of my first Dark Souls playthrough and those saves are locked (and I don't have PSN+). Good info, though, I didn't know you could deactivate online. Does that mean that any downloaded games, etc. will just not work after I deactivate? I'll likely try it and see what happens, and I'll still need to go on my old console to delete some photos and home videos and such.

edit: I think when I did the transfer utility I did deactivate the old console, so I really just need to get any data off.
    Last edited by Cornelius; 01-17-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't sell it as the heat gun solution is only a temporary fix. My buddy's launch 60GB had the yellow light deal, and he used the heat gun solution a few times, but it only lasted for a few weeks before his PS3 crapped out. Unless you explain to someone that the heat gun is only a temporary fix and they don't care and offer you a decent buck for it, then do it up!
    Last edited by duffmanth; 01-17-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I do worry about selling it, though. Even though I'll be completely upfront about its condition when I sell it, it could die in a week or a month or a year and I don't want someone pissed at me. Is it even worth anything in its current condition?
    Since you will be telling them the truth the rest is their responsibility for buying it. You can also sell it for parts if you like. But if I were in your shoes I'd try to get the most I could for it, which would be selling it as working but recently repaired due to the ylod. I know craigs list has a decent amount of people who specifically look for systems that have had the ylod. But thats just one of your many options of getting rid of it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I briefly have looked into parting it out, but that seems like a lot of work for not a lot more return than just selling the whole thing. Plus I'd like to think somehow this thing could enjoy an extended second life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Take it to Gamestop and run for the hills!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Just for future reference, I sold this on CL with a sixaxis and Rainbow Six Vegas for $150. Also had original box, paperwork, and hookups. The status was fully explained to the buyer, he thought about it, talked to a buddy that knew more about ylod than he did, and decided to buy it.