Thread: Are the pre-crash games just not as collectable anymore?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Default Are the pre-crash games just not as collectable anymore?

Forgive me if this has been discussed. I've hovered around the roundtable for over 10 years now, but my presence is nowhere near as prominent as it was from 2001-2004. I've come to noti that in those days, most of the old schoolers here were late 20 - early 30 - somethings who grew up with the Atari, Coleco etc.... and that's what they mainly collected. Discussion was high on these systems and games, and most of the collecting "scene", as it were, was centered around pre-crash gaming.

I was considered one of the young collectors in those days. I believe I was 14 when I made my first posts here (back in the EZboard days!) Now that I'm 25 going on 26, I notice that not only has the demographic changed, but the focus on collecting as well. Has collecting in general shifted it's focus to NES games and on? It seems that most people these days call the 8-bit / 16-bit era the GOLDEN AGE, where as years ago the golden age was always considered the Atari days.

Have the older gamers vacated the thrown? Passed the torch to a new generation? Or are the number of gamers from the 8bit / 16bit era vastly greater and they're just now coming around to that "nostalgia" age?

I just remember a time when there was a such a focus on the old school, but now the old school seems to have become the REALLY old school. Someone (I think Arcade Antics) mentioned in another thread that the demand is just not there anymore. That's a shame. And it will probably happen to the 8bit 16bit era too.
    Last edited by ShinobiMan; 01-25-2012 at 09:26 AM.