Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are the pre-crash games just not as collectable anymore?

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by old_skoolin_jim View Post
    As much as I didn't want to admit it to myself, this does seem to be the way things are now. Why this is so is beyond me (IMO most of its games don't hold up that well, especially visually, and many can be D/Led via the Wii VC, but I digress)... I think it's gotta be the previously noted "nostalgia" factor. Kids born in the 90s are now becoming the older teens & 20-somethings with disposable incomes that once sat in front of their TVs and played Glover and BattleTanx 'til the cows came home. More power to 'em for essentially doing what we (or at least I) did at their age.
    This has alot o do with it I was born in 1991 way too late for pre-crash stuff, late for NES, and just barely in the SNES era. By the time I was old enough to comprehend video games it was the last year for the SNES. So from age 6 or 7 until around 12 it was all about the N64. It all has to do with the nostalgia for the N64. I like to play it because that's where my memories are, with my friends playing goldeneye and no mercy. But I do collect for basically any (cart based) system from N64 back I don't have because it's about the pop culture. I would much have preferred to have been a teenager in the 80's so any way I can get closer to 1985 I'll do it. That includes pre crash games the only reason I do not focus on those games is because I don't have the systems. My focus is for the systems I currently own and I don't really seek games for systems I don't have but if I happen to come across them I will pick them up. Thankfully I'm only half a dozen games away from completeing N64 because I got a feeling it's gonna get expensive really soon.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As another long-time older console collector, I think the 2600 and ColecoVision collectors got what they wanted from the system and have either moved on to new systems or stopped with those.

I got my first gaming system, the SMS, in December 1988. I collected it for a few years, even branched into importing games from the UK and then stopped once I achieved my goals. I haven't bought another SMS game in years. I still love the system. But, I have moved onto newer systems, up until I am caught up with the present day 360 and Wii. Reliving memories and loving old system and games is a great hobby and passion, but eventually a collector gets everything that they want.

I got my ColecoVision and Atari 2600 expansion module from my brother as it was heading out to the trash can. I was never that active with it, but I made a note of getting any ColecoVision carts that I found in the wild. I got the rest of the 'good' titles online when my thrift store days were behind me. I still treasure Q*Bert, Q*Bert's Qubes, Spy Hunter, and Star Trek SOS on the ole CV. Great titles. Anyhow, I guess my point is it is always possible for 'newer' collectors to go backwards and enjoy some of the older games. Other posters in this thread are right, the supply of these things is not plentiful anymore.

Enjoy being a collector while you have it. I always knew that there was only a limited window of time for me to be an active collector. Real life catches up. I will still have time for gaming, just not as much as when I was younger. Thanks to collecting I have a great connection to my younger self. Some of the games and all the systems from past Christmas's are still in my collection. I can look at them and think of when I was still in the old house with my parents, when the most I wanted from my day was to spend it in a comfy chair playing games. I think I am pretty lucky to have made the choice to get these older games/systems while I could. I am not sure what my future children will think of them, but I'm eager to find out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ifkz View Post
    As another long-time older console collector, I think the 2600 and ColecoVision collectors got what they wanted from the system and have either moved on to new systems or stopped with those.

I got my first gaming system, the SMS, in December 1988. I collected it for a few years, even branched into importing games from the UK and then stopped once I achieved my goals. I haven't bought another SMS game in years. I still love the system. But, I have moved onto newer systems, up until I am caught up with the present day 360 and Wii. Reliving memories and loving old system and games is a great hobby and passion, but eventually a collector gets everything that they want.

I got my ColecoVision and Atari 2600 expansion module from my brother as it was heading out to the trash can. I was never that active with it, but I made a note of getting any ColecoVision carts that I found in the wild. I got the rest of the 'good' titles online when my thrift store days were behind me. I still treasure Q*Bert, Q*Bert's Qubes, Spy Hunter, and Star Trek SOS on the ole CV. Great titles. Anyhow, I guess my point is it is always possible for 'newer' collectors to go backwards and enjoy some of the older games. Other posters in this thread are right, the supply of these things is not plentiful anymore.

Enjoy being a collector while you have it. I always knew that there was only a limited window of time for me to be an active collector. Real life catches up. I will still have time for gaming, just not as much as when I was younger. Thanks to collecting I have a great connection to my younger self. Some of the games and all the systems from past Christmas's are still in my collection. I can look at them and think of when I was still in the old house with my parents, when the most I wanted from my day was to spend it in a comfy chair playing games. I think I am pretty lucky to have made the choice to get these older games/systems while I could. I am not sure what my future children will think of them, but I'm eager to find out!
    Very well said