Thread: WTB: S-Video Mod for JVC -X'EYE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default WTB: S-Video Mod for JVC -X'EYE

I have an JVC X'EYE i would like S-video and a region switch added to.

Does anyone here offer that service?

Shoot me a PM if you do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

* Raises hand

$20.

Most X'Eyes have S-Video on the board, it just needs a port and components installed.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, i just did some research and apparently the wondermega II had s-video and they just decided "hey, let's just remove it!"

Not surprising since they barely advertised the thing.

You don't have a way to install a region switch too do you? If it's not possible I could always play pulseman with a game genie but seeing some games turn from one version to another " streets of rage has two languages on one cart" is always pretty cool.

In any case let me ask a few questions.

1: do you have any other systems i could see you've done? Would be cool to see other work you've done.

2: Does anyone know what kind of sound this system has compared to say a "high definition graphics" sega genesis model 1? I've heard those are the best bet for s-video mods ad they have the best bass and what not but i'de like some opinions on the sound before giving the go ahead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can do both S-video and a region switch for $25. I also do a whole bunch of other mods that I have listed in my thread here, let me know if you're interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    Yeah, i just did some research and apparently the wondermega II had s-video and they just decided "hey, let's just remove it!"

Not surprising since they barely advertised the thing.

You don't have a way to install a region switch too do you? If it's not possible I could always play pulseman with a game genie but seeing some games turn from one version to another " streets of rage has two languages on one cart" is always pretty cool.

In any case let me ask a few questions.

1: do you have any other systems i could see you've done? Would be cool to see other work you've done.

2: Does anyone know what kind of sound this system has compared to say a "high definition graphics" sega genesis model 1? I've heard those are the best bet for s-video mods ad they have the best bass and what not but i'de like some opinions on the sound before giving the go ahead.
    I heavily modified a Dreamcast for someone on U-G that I believe has a presence here. LEDs, SD card slot, overclock switch, dual BIOS and probably other things I'm forgetting about. Most mods I do are designed around being internal without much external visibility as I believe consoles should look stock as much as possible with any addition looking like it SHOULD be there without some ugly switch hanging out the side.

The latest mod I did was this:
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=36563

Which admittedly is 100% internal. Currently I mostly get requests for modchip work and BIOS swaps for region free goodness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how is the sound on the JVC X'EYE vs. a "High Definition Graphics" SEGA Genesis Model 1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok so i definently want a region switch and an s-video mod.

This is going to be my main sega cd/sega genesis so are there any other cool mods you guys offer I should know about?

What about installing an overclock switch? I'vve heard this gets a few games to run better. Should I worry about Replacing capacitors? and most importantly, I think we might need to install some sort of signal amplifier to make sure the s-video works on all TVs.

My last sega genesis s-video mod needed to be sent back to have an amplifier added to make the signal stronger because it wasn't working on my trinitron from 2000.

No idea how strong the signal sent out by the X'EYE is compared to a model 1 genesis though so this might be a non issue.

PS: what does the wheel next to the headphone jack do? I've tested it out and it doesn't control the headphone's volume like I thought it would.
    Last edited by wingzrow; 01-29-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Be careful. Sega CD (and 32x, Everdrive, etc) are pickier about modded systems. I believe you need a separate region mod for the CD side. And given X'eye wasn't released in PAL, making no original PAL BIOS, I'm not sure what effect that has.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So is a region mod for an american X"EYE that lets you play japanese games even possible then?

I really do want to play japanese sonic cd and sol feace eventually ( i've tried burning patched games to no success )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is possible, I've made EPROMs with the BIOS files for others but I haven't done it myself.

You have to install a hacked BIOS or switchable BIOS, and also perform the standard Sega Genesis style region mods.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

I've never noticed anything about the sound personally, but I'm not a delusional audiophile either. The wheel is probably volume control for the karaoke aspect of things; when I owned one I never found any software to use with it.

I can look into a region mod for the SCD side of things. I own a programmer but don't have the appropriately sized EPROMs. I'd imagine the Wondermega BIOS would work but there is only one way to find out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    I've never noticed anything about the sound personally, but I'm not a delusional audiophile either. The wheel is probably volume control for the karaoke aspect of things; when I owned one I never found any software to use with it.

I can look into a region mod for the SCD side of things. I own a programmer but don't have the appropriately sized EPROMs. I'd imagine the Wondermega BIOS would work but there is only one way to find out.
    The JVC X'EYE ism literally a japanese wondermega II with a few components changed so i'm hoping it should work.

Send me a PM with your address and a price.

Services wanted

1: S-Video Mod
    2: Region mod to play SEGA CD and SEGA Genesis in Japanese

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks to APE992.

Hopefully this mod turns out ok.
    Last edited by wingzrow; 01-30-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post

What about PAL games? It's kind of difficult to work with a BIOS we don't have. Or can it be patched to get around the check? I don't recall SCD's region lock being complicated.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

It really isn't that complicated. l_oliveira has put out patched versions of nearly everything I can think of that basically bypass the region check entirely so it doesn't matter if it is PAL, NTSC-U or NTSC-J. However a few games do have issues:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=27562

Games I know you can't play on anything but the JPN BIOS:

3x3 Eyes: glitches badly on FMV
    Aisle Lord: freeze on boot
    Fhey Area: freeze on boot
    Heavy Nova: freeze on boot
    Ishii Hisaichi no Daisekai: freeze on boot
    Sengoku Densyo: resets the system back to BIOS

These games get either odd FMV or some minor glitches:

Wolfteam games that get red background on FMVs:
    Devastator
    Tenbu Mega-CD

Game Arts game that has garbled copyright screen on load:
    Gambler Jikocyushinha 2
    Probably would need to patch the games or just use the Japanese BIOS patched to be region free.