Holy run on paragraph. I'll separate your thoughts and address them individually.

Quote Originally Posted by okame View Post
I chose it because the Retro Duo Pro looked good and all, but I like the SupaBoy's retro, SNES controller look.
I'll fully admit that this was a good decision on Hyperkin's part. The iconic design of the SNES controller was a good thing to mold the portable at, just as many benheck forum projects have done before. That said, the RetroDuo Portable isn't a bad design either, and may actually be a bit more ergonomic.

Also, I needed something I could use on long car trips, in hotel rooms at Anime/Sci-Fi conventions, and on the convention floor itself.
It that's true, then you made a terrible choice. The Supaboy gets about 1.5-2.5 hours battery life, whereas the RDP gets 7-9 hours. It's a pretty massive difference.

To me, portable gaming means that all you need are the portable console, the games, and a power source to keep things going, either batteries or a power adapter. With the RDP, to play Gameboy games, you need the Super Gameboy cart, the controller adapter, and the 3rd party controller if you want to play fighting games on the console itself. With the SupaBoy, all you need is the SupaBoy, the Super Gameboy cart, and the 3rd party controllers.
Whoa, wait a minute. You aren't talking about a portable experience, you're talking about making a portable multiplayer console experience. I've never done that, but portable screens are meant for one person. Playing multiplayer on a single tiny LCD screen has got to be a frustrating, terrible experience. I'm sure this was the thought process that went into the RDP's design. Hyperkin meanwhile didn't consider this.

Besides, I hate the look of the RDP's 3rd party SNES controllers, while any 3rd party controller that looks like an actual SNES controller, not a smaller version of the non dual shock PS1 controller, looks great plugged into the SupaBoy.
Have......you ever actually used one? It seems very weird to me to judge a controller based on its appearance rather than the far more important factor of its feel and comfort level. Of all the third party SNES controllers I've ever come across, the Super Retro Controller is the most comfortable, well designed pad out there. I've even said it rivals the OEM controllers in terms of overall excellence. I would really suggest you try using one and judge it on how it feels rather than purely on cosmetics.