Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anger With Game Content Lock Spurs Reaction From Studio Head Curt Shilling [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Anger With Game Content Lock Spurs Reaction From Studio Head Curt Shilling [Slashdot]

MojoKid writes "Studios and publishers are fighting back hard against the used game market, with the upcoming title Kingdoms of Amular, the latest to declare it will use a content lock. In this case, KoA ups the ante by locking out part of the game that's normally available in single-player mode. Gamers exploded, with many angry that game content that had shipped on the physical disc was locked away and missing, as well as being angry at the fact that content was withheld from used game players. One forum thread asking if the studio fought back against allowing EA to lock the content, went on for 49 pages before Curt Shilling, the head of 38 Studios, took to the forums himself. His commentary on the situation is blunt and to the point. 'This is not 38 trying to take more of your money, or EA in this case, this is us rewarding people for helping us! If you disagree due to methodology, ok, but that is our intent... companies are still trying to figure out how to receive dollars spent on games they make, when they are bought. Is that wrong? if so please tell me how.'"

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

This is becoming a nightmare for the future. Can anyone imagine this board in 20 years?

"Hey, does anyone have that one piece of X game that was cut and included as a pass?"

There will be more interest in tracking this junk down than the games. All of the blame is being wrongly placed. The used market is a non-issue.

Publishers need to step back and realize how much of what they're doing isn't working. Oct./Nov. last year had 15 retail releases for a month straight on the 360 alone. When something in that pile, up against the Modern Warfare's of the world mind you, doesn't sell, it's because people buy used games. Uh huh.

Attack the customer. That always goes well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Maybe I'm alone on this.. I hadn't even heard of this game until this thread. The title of this game couldn't get much more generic.

This reminds me of the music industry almost ten years ago. Trying a bunch of tactics to stop their perceived loss of sales, meanwhile solely inconveniencing and screwing over their loyal, paying customers with copy protection and rootkits. This too only affects the consumer who is playing by the rules (by the very annoyance of having to deal with unlocking content, as well as relying on hardware to not FAIL - thereby losing access to part-or-whole of a purchased product).

I'm sure someone somewhere on the webz will have an unlocked version of this game that costs $0 and alot of people will take that route.

I wonder if this kind of thing will continue to proliferate until it angers the mainstream gaming audience and triggers a mirroring of what the music industry has had to deal with (vast drop in the volume of physical media sales, and survival through digital distribution). It certainly seems to be going that way.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 01-30-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

People aren't willing to pay $60 for a new game. This is the problem. New games cost too much. Period.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    up against the Modern Warfare's of the world mind you, doesn't sell, it's because people buy used games. Uh huh.
    It's not because the games aren't any good, though.

Activision got lucky and fell into a gold mine is what you could compare the Call of Duty series to. The series sells a good 10 million on day one for how average it is, the large amount of overpriced map packs sell in the millions, etc. Does it matter if Call of Duty gets used sales? Why would it when most of the fanbase buys it and doesn't sell it. I know a few people who have nothing but FPS titles and they have every single Call of Duty game.

Gaming in todays gen is mostly mediocrity. The developers that do develop great games usually don't get the sales and is overshadowed by a lot of AAA garbage that doesn't deserve the time of day. Final Fantasy 13-2 is coming out soon. I'm sure the game is going to sell a shit load despite how piece of shit the first Final Fantasy 13 was and how terrible the demo was.

I've heard about Kingdoms of Amalur, but I didn't pay it any mind until a friend mentioned it a month ago. When I originally saw it, like Space Harrier mentioned, the game just sounded generic so I didn't even bother paying it any mind. After having mention of it from a friend I looked it up, and it immediately bumped up to one of my most anticipated games. It's a more action oriented loot drop game. If you're not a fan of the genre, this game probably won't change you, but if you like the genre even a little bit, it's definitely a game to purchase. Preorder Kingdoms of Amalur from Toys R Us $45 plus shipping.

There's a demo on both XBL and PSN. I'd recommend downloading it and seeing if you like it. You get to play through the tutorial and once finishing the tutorial, you have 45 minutes to do as many quests and explore as you'd like. You can't go too far into the game, but in the areas you're limited to there's a lot to do. Pausing also doesn't waste any of your 45 minutes. It's unfortunate, but like Dante's Inferno, Mirror's Edge, and The Saboteur, Kingdoms of Amalur is probably going to be another one of these gems that no one has played.

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    People aren't willing to pay $60 for a new game. This is the problem. New games cost too much. Period.
    False statement. People are willing to pay $60 for a new game. Unfortunately, people pay $60 on the overhyped bullshit and then ignore anything good that comes along. Then they all jump on a forum thread and bitch about the developer.

I don't like DLC, especially disc locked content, but it's easy to see where the developer is coming from.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-30-2012 at 01:12 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    Then where do all the used games come from, I wonder.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about a distribution contract requiring x% of used profits to be paid to the publisher or the new ones don't show up for 30 days after release, that would fix the $60 new but how about $55 for the used one we bought for $15 from the schmuck who sat on it.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Do keep in mind - this isn't actually stuff on the disc - it is Day 1 DLC. Of course, one could just argue semantics...
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Perhaps he should have invested in a baseball MMORPG instead.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    How about a distribution contract requiring x% of used profits to be paid to the publisher or the new ones don't show up for 30 days after release, that would fix the $60 new but how about $55 for the used one we bought for $15 from the schmuck who sat on it.
    How about no? They have no right to the used market because once the game has changed hands at retail, the disc becomes the consumers. If there are so many used copies of a game showing up in those first 30 days anyway, the publisher has a bigger problem on their hands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    False statement. People are willing to pay $60 for a new game. Unfortunately, people pay $60 on the overhyped bullshit and then ignore anything good that comes along. Then they all jump on a forum thread and bitch about the developer.
    Or maybe they ignore the smaller titles because release schedules in this industry are wildly miguided. October/November of last year saw 15 retail releases, per week, on the 360 alone for a month straight. Who is stupid enough to release a $60 2D platformer during that period? Yeah, UbiSoft. Quality at that point doesn't matter; there's just not enough money to go around.

Yet, here we sit in December/January where there hasn't been a single retail release in two months for anything.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

To an extent I understand the "online pass" thing IF the developer/publisher maintains the servers. That I kind of get. Of course in the case of most games the console manufacturer maintains the servers and if one is already paying MS for XBL Gold then they really don't have any justification to me as long as its a non MS published game. Same thing really for PSN obviously except that MP is free I believe?

Locking out content on the disc is just ridiculous and I'm looking at you Namco for doing this. I recall that with SC IV a good portion of the DLC they offered was simply a key to allow access to something already on the disc, not really actual DLC. And that was even to people who bought the game NEW.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this somehow translated to some company in the future locking out the ending of a game for used purchases.
    "Oh, you bought the game used? Well for 1200 MS points you can download the passkey that allows you to finish your game"

The whole situation makes about as much sense to me as a car manufactuer saying that if you buy a vehicle used, you won't be able to use the power windows unless you come by and pay us 200 dollars to re-enable them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People are going to whine, kick and scream at first but most used games are going to go away folks.

I'd be shocked if fully downloadable games didn't make up a good chuck of new games sales come Next Gen.

The only question is whether the developers get greedy or not. If they price games reasonably when they're download only people won't mind as much. If they offer regular sales such as Steam does people will look forward to them and purchase a lot of titles. If they keep game prices at $$50-60 per however for a year after their initial release however then there's going to be a backlash.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's unfortunate, but like Dante's Inferno, Mirror's Edge, and The Saboteur, Kingdoms of Amalur is probably going to be another one of these gems that no one has played.
    I didn't know Dante's Inferno sold poorly. I don't follow game sells or anything, I just figured since it was an excellent game from popular publisher that it did well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    Then where do all the used games come from, I wonder.
    People who purchase games with the buy back/resell value in mind, mostly. Many of whom wouldn't be as likely to buy $60 games otherwise.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can understand developers wanting to make money on their creations...no one goes into business to loose money...but at the same time.....people who can't afford $60 bucks a pop on a video game aren't going to magically have the money to buy them when they have no other choice..they will just wait several months for price drops. I think this will cause games to drop in price faster. A lot of gamers rely on game recycling and even gamers that due spend 60 a pop on games would less inclined to buy more games, as I know a lot of them usually don't pay full price..they trade up. If you look at it as even...15% of gamers who always buy new, trade in games to get that new one...stops buying as many games as they do, due to no sell/trade anymore....thats a nice chunk of sales down the tube...I dont know many people that can toss 60 bucks around for every single big release.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Someone tell Shilling he needs to stick with baseball. If GM sells me a Chevy, they get money for it. If I sell it to someone else, they don't. It's that simple. Used car dealers don't pay GM for the resale. Not everyone can afford a brand new car. Now that brings in the concept of "leasing" a game, where you pay less and own it for maybe 6 months or a year or something. I just don't like the concept of download-only games.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

im just waiting for the day some brave studio decides to lock you out of seeing the ending of the game or even being able to get there if you buy used, jesus fucking christ this cant be real life....
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    im just waiting for the day some brave studio decides to lock you out of seeing the ending of the game or even being able to get there if you buy used, jesus fucking christ this cant be real life....
    I've never played Alan Wake, but I've heard this was the case.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

This is a future oriented problem. All these games are eventually going to have their locked content access expire, and essential bugfix patches no longer available, via shut down of the console's online service. We've already seen how classic Xbox Live ended.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've never played Alan Wake, but I've heard this was the case.
    I've not heard of this. Where did you come across this?