Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    qLeveR

Default Connecting my Model 1 Genesis to my tv using Rf switch

So i finally got my hands on a Model 1 Sega Genesis. I am currently having difficulties with the RF switch, i have a modern tv with the r,w,y hookups and I just need a walkthrough on how to use the RF switch.
    Thanks!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	231061-sony-bravia-kdl-hx800-rear-ports.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	4411 plug it in the cable/antenna slot and change the channel to channel 3. If your tv is actually one that lacks that, then you'll need a vcr.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    qLeveR

it has the cable/antenna slot but i'm unable to get my tv to channel 3, i go to the t.v input and when i try to change channels the screen says "use autosearch to change channel" and that does nothing.. Very weird.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

can you switch the TV to channel 4 at all? There is a switch on the back of the Genesis if you have to switch to that, but it is the only other one that will work. The only alternative if your tv won't let you push "3" or "4" on the remote is plug the RF switch into the VCR and run Y,W,R cables out of it to the TV's Y,W,R aux input while the VCR is set to channel 3 or 4. Or of course, buy the composite cable for Genesis 1. The problem with simply buying a cord instead of a VCR is that you'll run into the same problem every time you buy a retro console that doesn't come with composite cables.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    qLeveR

I appreciate your help! But sadly my TV is too stubborn and won't switch to channel 3 or 4. I'd love to have a VCR but I don't want to take up too much space. I suppose I will grab the AV cables! Thank you sir.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by qLeveR View Post
    I appreciate your help! But sadly my TV is too stubborn and won't switch to channel 3 or 4. I'd love to have a VCR but I don't want to take up too much space. I suppose I will grab the AV cables! Thank you sir.
    I had the exact same problem with my Model 1 and unfortunately couldn't fix it either. I ended up buying the AV cables and it was well worth the money. They present fantastic video quality not possible with standard RF cables. I got aftermarket ones (a bit more expensive then I had hoped) and I was blown away with how fantastic those old games looked on my dull TV. They were made by retrobit I think. Anyways if you come across those pick them up, you won't regret it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

Quote Originally Posted by qLeveR View Post
    If I remember correctly for most HDTVs, you can try to press the following combination on your remote control if possible:

03-0 for channel 3
    04-0 for channel 4

It was the case for my LG HDTV and it worked for me when I wanted to play my SNES or Genesis games via the RF switch

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're seeing that "Use autosearch to change channel" message pop up every time you try to change channels, it sounds like the TV just needs run a channel scan. Have you had any luck poking around your TV menu? What you'd be looking for is an option called Auto Program, Auto Setup, Auto Search (probably this), Channel Scan, that kind of thing. Start that and you'll see your TV flip through a bunch of channels in ascending order, following which you should be able to change channels freely when you're on the "TV" input.

Failing that, you might want to check your TV's user guide, if you don't have a paper copy you can almost certainly find one on the manufacturer's website if you have your TV's model number. There should be some section in the manual detailing how to connect the TV to analog cable, that's what you'll want info on.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    If you're seeing that "Use autosearch to change channel" message pop up every time you try to change channels, it sounds like the TV just needs run a channel scan. Have you had any luck poking around your TV menu? What you'd be looking for is an option called Auto Program, Auto Setup, Auto Search (probably this), Channel Scan, that kind of thing. Start that and you'll see your TV flip through a bunch of channels in ascending order, following which you should be able to change channels freely when you're on the "TV" input.
    Right, some models of TVs just won't let you change channels manually until you do this, for some reason. If you normally use a cable/sat box connected via HDMI or component, you may well never have bothered to run such a scan, so try that and see if it helps.

That said, getting a composite cable will send the TV a better signal, but really with old systems they aren't going to look great on a modern HD set anyway, so it's really up to you which way you want to go.

And in any event, you want to use the headphone jack on the front of the model 1 for your sound, as RF is mono only, and model 1 composite cables don't have stereo either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just turn your Genesis on & Scan it, Should work

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    And in any event, you want to use the headphone jack on the front of the model 1 for your sound, as RF is mono only, and model 1 composite cables don't have stereo either.
    Indeed. While it ultimately ends up looking a bit hackneyed, the combo of an RCA audio to 3.5mm stereo jack and your everyday model 1 composite cable ends up being a perfectly workable two piece solution. Plus, who doesn't enjoy the novelty of a functioning volume slider? I've never heard of anyone pairing the white RCA connector (mono audio) from the composite cable and the red RCA connector (right channel) from the headphone jack but.. don't. That's just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Just turn your Genesis on & Scan it, Should work
    Yeah, thanks for mentioning that. Forgot to note that the TV may need to be receiving audio-visual goods from the powered on, hooked up Genesis to find the appropriate channel in its scan.