Thread: NES Label Variation Question

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Label Variation Question

Hey i'm working on my own list for NES games... i was just wondering if Bunch Games had made a version of Baby Boomer... i think i once saw a foto of one but i cannot remember for sure. Also, was there black cart for the game (as well as the blue cart). I am looking for all and any variations.... i have the easy ones (metroid, zeldas, dragon warrior, mario/duck hunt, mario/duck hunt/wct, ect), so if anyone knows of other variations i would greatly appreciate it. I am also looking for box variations (special promotions, different cover, ect). Thanks for any help!

Josh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

I can help you out with the ones I can remember off the top of my head

NES Football has 2 different cart variations one of the 4 player logos has a white background and the other has a red background

Gunsmoke has 2 different types of boxes and I don't know if there are 2 different carts...All the carts I have seen have been the same so far.

City Connection has 2 differnt nintendo Logos on the box

Turtles 2 has the pizza edition book and box and the regular book and box

thats all I can remember off the top of my head. I know there are a few more, I'll list them later when I check my collection

hope that helps

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Complete list

I saved one of the most complete lists I have found from the webpage:
    http://www.mcs.net/~millert/public/c...e_nes_list.txt , but it seems it is down now. It has variations, cart colors, and license numbers. If anyone here wants me to email them this list, send me a pm or email and I will send it out to everyone who wants it sometime tomorrow

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks guys... pm sent

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Qixmaster I challenge you to a game of Qix where I will proceed to kick your ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wisdom Tree's King of King's has two different variations. I think a couple of the other Wisdom Tree games also had ones too.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

There's a ton, and a metric ton depending on how critical you are on variantions. I'm writing a variant doc for the NES, akin to the one for the 2600 detailing all major differences.

If you're being gentle, there are probably about 40-50 label variants out there.

If you're being sadistic, there's probably a good 300-400. -1 and 5 screws!

To answer your questions:

There is no Bunch Games Baby Boomer, and it does not come in black (This has been confirmed by the remnents of CD). There are very few dark grey Baby Boomer and Captian Comic shells, but they were used for consumer testing, and are more proto shells than anything.

It's late, but I can post all the major variations I've found tomorrow or so, but most notable are Gun.smoke, Impossible Mission II, Blades of Steel, Untouchables, Hollywood Squares, and Wayne Gretzy Hockey. (Not counting company variants like Ubi/Taito Last Crusade and the like). Gretzky has 3 different labels BTW.

And then there's Color Dreams variants. Ask me or ou812now, for we're fairly obsessed with them. As well a Sachen variants, but you'll die of boredom before you even identify all of them, let alone get them.

dave

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanX
    Qixmaster I challenge you to a game of Qix where I will proceed to kick your ass.
    challenge happily accepted

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    There's a ton, and a metric ton depending on how critical you are on variantions. I'm writing a variant doc for the NES, akin to the one for the 2600 detailing all major differences.

If you're being gentle, there are probably about 40-50 label variants out there.

If you're being sadistic, there's probably a good 300-400. -1 and 5 screws!

To answer your questions:

There is no Bunch Games Baby Boomer, and it does not come in black (This has been confirmed by the remnents of CD). There are very few dark grey Baby Boomer and Captian Comic shells, but they were used for consumer testing, and are more proto shells than anything.

It's late, but I can post all the major variations I've found tomorrow or so, but most notable are Gun.smoke, Impossible Mission II, Blades of Steel, Untouchables, Hollywood Squares, and Wayne Gretzy Hockey. (Not counting company variants like Ubi/Taito Last Crusade and the like). Gretzky has 3 different labels BTW.

And then there's Color Dreams variants. Ask me or ou812now, for we're fairly obsessed with them. As well a Sachen variants, but you'll die of boredom before you even identify all of them, let alone get them.

dave

Well i guess right now i could be "gentle" and gradually as time goes on get more "sadistic." thank you for all of your help and thanks for answering the baby boomer question.
    Josh

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only label variations I've noticed are Q-Bert with different colors for the Nintendo seal. One is gold and the other white.
    Also, Donkey Kong Classics has a variant. One continues the orange color of the cart label to the top label and the other has the top label being yellow.

PG

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Great topic..
    I was just going to ask this..about Dr.Mario

I have a Dr. Mario with a yellow top label...and I have another with a White top label..both carts have the same front label...

I thought the white top label cart was just faded..but it's too white to be faded and the letters are not faded..

Anyone have the white one..i figure the yellow version is the regular/common one because I find it all the time..I just got the white one..

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll
    Great topic..

I have a Dr. Mario with a yellow top label...and I have another with a White top label..both carts have the same front label...

I thought the white top label cart was just faded..but it's too white to be faded and the letters are not faded..

Anyone have the white one..i figure the yellow version is the regular/common one because I find it all the time..I just got the white one..
    ARGh! I had a copy of dr. mario with a white label, also thinking it was faded so when i got a yellow labeled one i sold it on ebay with some other nes stuff. dammit. Oh well, i'm sure i'll find one soon... and i do believe i have heard of this before on an auction and i just thought the person was selling a dr. mario with a faded top label.... well i guess it counts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by Qixmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll
    Great topic..

ARGh! I had a copy of dr. mario with a white label, also thinking it was faded so when i got a yellow labeled one i sold it on ebay with some other nes stuff. dammit. Oh well, i'm sure i'll find one soon... and i do believe i have heard of this before on an auction and i just thought the person was selling a dr. mario with a faded top label.... well i guess it counts!
    I have this crazy photographic memory that I can remember what carts look like no matter how many I own..so I remebered that Dr.Mario has a yellow top label and this one was different...
    I almost listed it with a bunch of other NES games..I was undecided if I wanted to keep it or not..I thought it might just be faded,,,until I really looked at the letters,,no fading..... it seems rare..so I kept it..and I collect carts with label variations..
    But I'm not sure if this is rare or verified to come this way..

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default in the past

At one time, I saw a person auctioning two versions of Klashball. I think one was a brown version and one was purplish (is this a word?). It wasnt on the list I sent you and I dont know if one was just sun faded. If anyone knows about this, I'd be interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

i have a puke green bible adventures. but i did vomit on it so that may account.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy
    i have a puke green bible adventures. but i did vomit on it so that may account.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Default Re: in the past

Quote Originally Posted by 1bigmig
    At one time, I saw a person auctioning two versions of Klashball. I think one was a brown version and one was purplish (is this a word?). It wasnt on the list I sent you and I dont know if one was just sun faded. If anyone knows about this, I'd be interested.
    There are. Rich Steinbomer was auctioning the two off when he liquidated collection #2 of his. (Or was it one...). I have a bunch of these variants noted - it's just been taking the time, effort, and cash to find the two and point out specifically what's different.

dave

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sorry to revive a ridiculously old thread, but did Portnoyd ever get this variations list finished?

if so, could i have a copy?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbertandernie
    sorry to revive a ridiculously old thread, but did Portnoyd ever get this variations list finished?

if so, could i have a copy?
    i don't think so. look for other threads about NES variations as it is an important and often discussed topic, but hasn't been thoroughly noted yet. As he said two + years ago, it takes a hell of a lot of time and money (to track down the variants).

My suggestion? Start looking for some yourself.

-Josh

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ive got a bunch of variants, just wonderied if there was a comprehensive list to see how many ive overlooked.