Thread: R2 Rendering Ranger - known issues with flash cards and/or emulators?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default R2 Rendering Ranger - known issues with flash cards and/or emulators?

Hi all, I've done some googling and haven't come up with anything concrete on this one - I loaded up Rendering Ranger this morning on my Super Everdrive, and the game will randomly not load between screens. For instance, between the Virgin logo and the next one; between the "Stage 1 Start" screen and the actual level; between the end of level 1 and the "Stage 2 Start" screen. It's a pain because I can actually play the game fine and it works great, but if it doesn't load the next stage, I basically have to use cheats to go to the next stage and that wipes out my weapons loadout and, more importantly, score. I've tried every dump of the game that exists, to my knowledge.

Obviously I can't justify buying a legit Rendering Ranger cart as the only one I can see on eBay right now is sitting pretty at $495 - but has anyone heard anything about this? I found some discussion about how older versions of SNES9X couldn't handle R2 because the game utilizes custom timings for the SPC700 DSP in the SNES' sound processor, and that this was causing the game to not load past the Virgin logo.

Anyone? I have posted in the Super Everdrive support thread at Assembler Games and am curious to see what Krikzz has to say, but I'm also interested in knowing if this is a bigger known issue.
    Last edited by nusilver; 02-06-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just bought a SNES powerpak and played Rendering Ranger yesterday on it with no loading problems so for, up to stage 3. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience or suggestions to help you to play it on a Super Everdrive.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, thanks, that's actually really good to know. It's possible that it's because I'm playing on a Pokefami DX as well, though I have yet to encounter any other non SA-1 games that run on the Super Everdrive via a real SNES versus not on a clone. I'll check when I get home.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you can always get a repro cart made for about $40

and since youre using a clone and not official hardware, Im going to start by saying thats ur problem.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    you can always get a repro cart made for about $40

and since youre using a clone and not official hardware, Im going to start by saying thats ur problem.
    I'm gonna have to agree with you. Loaded no problem every time on my bedroom SNES. At least the game plays fine on the Pokefami DX when i does load.
    Last edited by nusilver; 02-07-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Interesting... someone emailed me last year about my R2 cartridge. He said he had issues with his, and found another gamer who has issues with their copy as well

---

BTW - I would like to ask You one thing about Rendering Ranger R2.
    Have You ever had any problems with the cartridge? I mean like game randomly freezing/crashing, ship exploding without being hit, absence of boss music or anything strange at all?
    The reason I'm asking is because I have had a R2 cart for a year and all of forementioned things happened at least once during my gameplay.

I asked one guy at racketboy.com, he has R2 cart and that's his answer:
    "Yeah I have had problems with my cart - sometimes freezes and on one level it does not let progress. As far as I can tell my cart is genuine and not a copy so I figured it was to do with the production process... thats what I am hoping any way."

So that's two...

I was very upset when those strange things started to happen and I've taken the cart apart to see if the PCB is broken, dirty etc. And to see if it's original in the first place...
    My cart appears to be original so I guess there must have been something with the production process...or...?

Do You have such problems with R2 or are You The Lucky One with flawless R2?

---

I double checked my copy and it doesn't freeze or crash.... so I don't know what to say to those whose copies crash =/

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Steven

Hey, Steven, interesting stuff. Do you know if these problem carts were played on clones? Since R2 is such an uncommon game, I don't think it's tested very often on clones, at least where public knowledge is concerned.

Again, I'm playing the ROM on a Super Everdrive. It works perfectly on real SNESes, but on my Pokefami DX, sometimes fails to load between the opening logos, and between the ending of stage 1 and the beginning of stage 2. After that, I haven't had any problems.

Eventually, I'll get a real cart. Wonder if the issues with clones will remain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have problems, you should ask on the Everdrive support forums. In all likelihood, it is a ROM mirroring issue, which can easily be fixed the latest firmware update.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    Hey, Steven, interesting stuff. Do you know if these problem carts were played on clones?
    Hello, it was me who wrote to Steven about R2 crashing. The game was played on an american SNES and wasn't tested on any clone. I have to say that I managed to get my hands on 2 (yes, two) more copies of R2 during last year and test them. And You know what? They both were randomly crashing too! WTH!
    Is it my SNES that is faulty? I don't recall any problems with other games, well apart from music being stuck and strangely playing in Super Turrican. Geez, maybe my console just doesn't like the Manfred Trenz's franchise...
    I don't have any other console to test it on, I have a PAL SNES but I'd need some sort of Action Replay to test it on it.