Thread: Any drawbacks to buying or trading for a used Atari 5200?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any drawbacks to buying or trading for a used Atari 5200?

I've been trying to use the search function since they updated the site, but it doesn't seem to work, so I thought I would just ask the DP community at large if I should be concerned about buying/trading for a used Atari 5200. The guy said that he hasn't tested it, but I know that most Atari systems work better than, say, a disc-based system. However, I know I have read horror stories about the joysticks not working properly. Any suggestions as to how I should proceed would be welcomed.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most likely the joystick buttons will not work. They can easily be repaired by taking apart and cleaning the flex circuit button contacts. I have glued little pieces of aluminum foil on the buttons which work for a while. There is also a gold contact replacement kit. I would be more concerned with the Auto Switch if a four port console. A unique item that carries both the power and RF signal on one cable. Be sure that Auto Switch is included, these can fail if not plugged in the right sequence.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Often the plastic shell can get broken, particularly the controller storage bay cover, and they are rarely sold separately. The joysticks almost always need to be fixed with foil over the buttons inside the controller. Sometimes the controller boots, too, they get ripped. Otherwise, if the unit fires up with a game properly, you should be okay. Just make sure you get some kind of response from each controller port.

And don't forget about this wonderful tool!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I'm considering swapping a factory sealed Sony PS1 LCD screen for it, so I don't want to get stuck with a piece of junk if it doesn't work properly. But I've got a bunch of 5200 games sitting around.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Sadly...

What you read is mostly true and if a seller is claiming untested then be prepared for joystick issues. In the best of times even new fully functional joysticks are interesting and hated by many. I got use to them and appreciate them for what they were but yeah I also bought a nice Gold Refurbed controller form BEST ELECTRONICS. as I did not want issues right off the bat but you need to understand at some point they will need servicing and maintenance so don't bother if your not willing to do that.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?