Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Default New Xbox To Feature Tablet Controller

"CVG is reporting that sources close to Microsoft are claiming that the new controller for the Xbox 720 will “be a matt-black media hub with a mission to bring games to life in your living room with augmented reality, directional sound, and a four-player, finger-tracking Kinect.”

The sources claim that Microsoft is experimenting with a tablet-like controller that’s more comparable in size to the PlayStation Vita than the Wii U’s current tablet controller. It describes it as being “an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks.”
    http://www.webpronews.com/xbox-table...+Index+Feed%29

Looks like Nintendo will not have the upper hand in the gimmick department this time because Microsoft decided to copy their idea even before launch. Nintendo still has their franchises and may still do well, but not as well as they did with their Wii.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

They may say that microsoft is copying nintendo, but everyone knows they're both just copying the dreamcast...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It seems like a good idea to me. I love the extra functionality the 360's keypad attachment has brought just for typing messages, entering codes, entering your name in a game when you first start, etc.

Expanding that into a touch screen seems natural and would maintain that fuctionality while opening up a world of possibilities when actually playing games. Having a full scale map available at all times, accessing your inventory in things like Elder Scrolls titles, an entire range of multiplayer possibilities, rear views during racing games rather than pressing a button to look backwards, a console Intellivision collection that could do the system justice, etc. Doesn't take much of an imagination to come up with ideas to use this thing without ever even using the touch screen for your primary controls (I've still yet to play a game that relied on touch screen controls that impressed me), but that option will be there as well and open up more possibilities.

And if the rumor is true, there's still a standard controller there. People seem to forget that about the WiiU. They're so focused on that touch screen and attacking it that they apparantly forget that the thing still has a d-pad, dual analog sticks, shoulder buttons, and face buttons like any contemporary gamepad.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-12-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoProcess View Post
    They may say that microsoft is copying nintendo, but everyone knows they're both just copying the dreamcast...
    The Dreamcast memory card isn't really that similar. But if we're saying Dreamcast, might as well mention the Pocketstation which you could play some mni games to unlock extras and such on certain games. Only difference is that the Dreamcast memory card you saw a useless picture on screen as you played, while the Pocketstation it just goes in your memory card slot.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Only difference is that the Dreamcast memory card you saw a useless picture on screen as you played, while the Pocketstation it just goes in your memory card slot.
    That's not true of all games some dc games used it functionally.... not to mention it never reached its full potential due to the dc failing before developers figured out the best way to use it.

My comment was more to prove the point that everyone always says this company is copying that company when most of the time technology was headed in that direction anyway so naturally company's will be going in the same directions as each other...

I mean really think about it Microsoft hasn't tried to brake into the portable market yet, which is kind of odd since sony and nintendo are both in it. So microsoft to keep their edge by all logic should have gone into that market awhile back.... is it so hard to believe this was their plan to brake into the portable market the whole time? And this has been their plan for long before the wii u was announced? Because this seems to me it may have been their strategy all along...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The Dreamcast memory card isn't really that similar. But if we're saying Dreamcast, might as well mention the Pocketstation which you could play some mni games to unlock extras and such on certain games. Only difference is that the Dreamcast memory card you saw a useless picture on screen as you played, while the Pocketstation it just goes in your memory card slot.
    Useless picture? Didn't many of the sports games let you pick you plays from it without another player seeing? And where there other games that made use of it for inventory management and such?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm not a huge fan of this idea. I can see why MS might consider doing it though. I can see MS wanting to have a more App Store type appeal with their Xbox Live stuff next go round, and they probably feel like touch is something that should be another option to work with. One reason why I'm not too hyped on it, is that a little glowing screen in my hand is going to be distracting to me, while sitting in my dark room playing on my HDTV. The current 360 controller with the glowing green Xbox button on it is bad enough, yet, with a 3 inch touch screen or whatever they put in there, is just going to make it that much worse.

However, it will be good for stuff like secretly calling your plays on Madden or something. For Skyrim/Fallout type games, you'll likely be able to see your inventory on it, etc etc.

The downside, is that it's going to make the controllers much more expensive. I wonder if part of the reason for this idea is that Microsoft doesn't want to allow backwards compatibility with existing 360 controllers. This way, they force you to buy new controllers. It's a excuse as to why you can't just use a 360 controller. Sony will probably do something similar from a standpoint of not being able to just use a DualShock3 on the PS4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of this idea. I can see why MS might consider doing it though. I can see MS wanting to have a more App Store type appeal with their Xbox Live stuff next go round, and they probably feel like touch is something that should be another option to work with. One reason why I'm not too hyped on it, is that a little glowing screen in my hand is going to be distracting to me, while sitting in my dark room playing on my HDTV. The current 360 controller with the glowing green Xbox button on it is bad enough, yet, with a 3 inch touch screen or whatever they put in there, is just going to make it that much worse.

However, it will be good for stuff like secretly calling your plays on Madden or something. For Skyrim/Fallout type games, you'll likely be able to see your inventory on it, etc etc.

The downside, is that it's going to make the controllers much more expensive. I wonder if part of the reason for this idea is that Microsoft doesn't want to allow backwards compatibility with existing 360 controllers. This way, they force you to buy new controllers. It's a excuse as to why you can't just use a 360 controller. Sony will probably do something similar from a standpoint of not being able to just use a DualShock3 on the PS4.
    Well your first concern can be solved with a simple dimmer switch, which I can't see why they wouldn't put on it....
    Hardware Collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

And thus the touchscreen crazie continues

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I could see how a tablet controller would make sense and make some menu heavy games easier to play. It would have been nice even this gen with the menus in Mass Effect and the Fallout series alone.

I do wonder about the cost of said controller though. My guess is at least 150 bucks. Here's to hoping that they have serviceable batteries....
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A poorly made idea of what the new controller will look like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not shocking if they intend to go this way considering what they're doing with Windows 8.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's the size of the bottom touchscreen on the DS Lite? If they went with a small screen like that, then I think the controller wouldn't be too huge, but the problem with that is that it's small enough where a stylus would make more sense, and I doubt they want to also have a stylus. So, I'm guessing they will go with the smallest screen they can get away with, while still needing it large enough that you don't need a stylus. So, the thing could end up pretty freaking big...

Bad idea MS.... bad idea...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Useless picture? Didn't many of the sports games let you pick you plays from it without another player seeing? And where there other games that made use of it for inventory management and such?
    The Resident Evil/Dino Crisis games used it to display health and ammo count. It was usable in NFL 2K obviously for plays. In the NBA 2K games it was used to monitor players fatigue levels (GENIUS!), and it obviously was used for Chao support in the Sonic Adventure games.

That's just off the top of my head at the moment,
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zama View Post
    And thus the touchscreen crazie continues
    Yuppers. I really hope they have some good ideas in mind and are not going to just try and make this another gimmick.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.