Thread: 360 shmups?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 360 shmups?

Finally broke down and got a 360, but fairly new to the console. I like shmups and Arcade style games. I already have Deathsmiles and I am loving it. I know about Strania and Galaga DX. What other shmups can anyone recommend? Is the 360 region free and are there Japanese shmups that we didn't get?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Download Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga from XBLA. You should enjoy them as well.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 02-16-2012 at 04:03 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

360 games are region locked if the publisher decides to, which means most are. Check out Otomedius Excellent, Raiden Fighter Aces, Raiden IV, Space Invaders Extreme, and the Indie Games Shoot1up and Orbitron: Revolution. You may also like Child of Eden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Download Radiant Silvergun and Ikuraga from XBLA. You should enjoy them as well.
    Ahhh yes. Both excellent games. I tried the Radiant Silvergun demo and got my arse kicked, I need to figure that one out, it plays a bit differently. As far as Ikaruga, I had that on the Gamecube back in the day. I will surely have to get both of those games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duke.Togo View Post
    360 games are region locked if the publisher decides to, which means most are. Check out Otomedius Excellent, Raiden Fighter Aces, Raiden IV, Space Invaders Extreme, and the Indie Games Shoot1up and Orbitron: Revolution. You may also like Child of Eden.
    Mmmm did I hear Raiden? I love Raiden III on the PS2, I will have to check out the 360 versions. Didn't know they had Raiden on the 360. Haven't heard of those other games, I will have to check them out. Thanks!

Does anyone have any other recommendations for me? I downloaded the newer Ace Combat demo and REALLY loved the action especially the dogfighting. Any recommendations for games like that, with arcade style action?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

You may want to get Raiden Fighter's Aces and Raiden IV sooner than later. They're getting harder to find and their prices are consistently trending up.

XBLA games (not mentioned so far) also worth your time:

Triggerheart Excelica
    R-Type Dimensions
    Strania (edit: you mentioned this one)
    Guwange
    Last edited by heybtbm; 02-16-2012 at 07:17 AM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Stay away from Otomedius (disc) and Trouble Witches Neo (download). They're not very good.

If you're enjoying Deathsmiles, the sequel is on the XBL Marketplace in the 'games on demand' section. It's thirty bucks, which is a bit more than usual, but it has as much content as the original and is a little bit better of a game. It's untranslated, which may or may not float your boat.

The developer of Deathsmiles, one CAVE, has produced quite a few excellent danmaku shmups for the 360 in Japan, and most of them are region free. I highly recommend "Mushihimesama Futari", "Espgaluda 2 Black Label", and "Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets"(which a collection of two games). Cave also has a game for download on the U.S. XBL Marketplace called "Guwange", which is good. Rumor has it that two games that are not region free, "DoDonPachi Resurrection" and "Akai Katana Shin", are coming the the U.S. from a publisher called Rising Star Games at some point before the end of the world. So that would be neat.

I'll second R-Type Dimensions and of course Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun. I'll also throw in behind the 360 Raiden games. They're excellent.

EDIT: I almost forgot: if you have a decent sound system, you MUST purchase Rez HD. It's essentially perfect.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 02-16-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Otomedius isn't terrible, it's just not very inspired. If you liked the old Gradius games on the NES, Turbo, and SNES, it's pretty much the same thing with anime girls. It gets a lot of flack I don't necessarily agree with, but then, I liked those games a lot.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is Shoot 1Up still available for download? I just looked and can't seem to find it. Am I missing something?

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    Is Shoot 1Up still available for download? I just looked and can't seem to find it. Am I missing something?
    It's in the Indie Games section (read: buried) in the dash. Just go to Xbox.com and get it:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...5-d80258550455

Great way to spend a buck!

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, the european version of Dodonpachi resurrection is region-free, it was published by Rising Star Games which is rumored to have opened an office in the U.S. If you don't feel like waiting for a domestic version to be released, you can import the European one.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duke.Togo View Post
    It's in the Indie Games section (read: buried) in the dash. Just go to Xbox.com and get it:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...5-d80258550455

Great way to spend a buck!
    Thanks! I've been on Live for less than a year, but have been looking off-and-on for this game ever since. Not sure what I was missing when I searched (both through Live and xbox.com). Oh well, thanks again!

Chasing the chuckwagon. schnuth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mort View Post
    Actually, the european version of Dodonpachi resurrection is region-free, it was published by Rising Star Games which is rumored to have opened an office in the U.S. If you don't feel like waiting for a domestic version to be released, you can import the European one.
    I just picked this up and have had a lot of fun with it. It's also worth noting that it comes with a soundtrack CD. Zavvi.com has it for a low £14.95, which came out to around $25 after shipping. Got the game five days after it shipped too. Here's a link if your interested:

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms.../10566189.html

Aaron

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys! I will have to check some of these out, and resort to this thread when I am ready to purchase some games. I prefer having a disc in my hand that I can hold, but DLC is fine I suppose if it's a buck or two.

I tried some of the remixes and thought they were ok. Like Galaga and Space Invaders. Any other ones that style that I may like?

I do like the Indie game called Hydorah for the PC, if none of you have tried it you should, it's freeware and very retro Gradius style stuff with an awesome soundtrack. Anything like that other than the other one mentioned?

I forgot about REZ! Gonna have to get that one, and thanks for the tips on Raiden, should get it before the price goes up if that's the case.

I am surprised how cheap Deathsmiles was, even the version with the faceplate and soundtrack CD. $15. I have a feeling some of these shmups are all going to go up in price eventually so I want to snag them now. Seems like Shmups and RPG's hold their values the most.

Any arcade style shooters like Afterburner Climax out there?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Check out Aegis Wing, a free download with online multi-player. A great freebie.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

some good cheap indie stuff out there to. Deathsmiles is a must and of course ikaruga and radiant silvergun. mushime sama futari as well. the 360 is surprisingly quite good for shmups!