Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet Set Radio is coming out on XBLA, PS3 and PC!

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Default Jet Set Radio is coming out on XBLA, PS3 and PC!

Sega announced that they will release an updated port of their Dreamcast game Jet Set Radio (aka Jet Grind Radio) this summer for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/02/jet-set-radio-hd/

Now, if they could only release at long last Wonder Boy: Monster World IV!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

awesome sound track that game has ( i have i think atleast half of of it on my iphone!).

The game is awesome and original too!

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

They should make a sequel, they already ported it to the xbox 1
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I have a feeling this will be a half-assed port with a lot of the music replaced with generic sounding tunes.

You know, the norm for Sega these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

After that dreadful port of Crazy Taxi, I'm expecting this one to be pretty bad too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

With custom soundtrack support on the 360, it doesn't strike me as a significant problem if they strip out the soundtrack as long as everything else is done well.

I wish they'd release their next vintage collection lineup. Was announced almost a year ago. Has some neat things like the translated Monster World IV, the arcade Super Hang-On, the popular SMS Alex Kidd game (Forget the name, but it was the most well liked one), and another game or two.

I really want the arcade version of Super Hang-On to see the light of day in North America. The Genesis port is rather poor these days and the GBA conversion, while nice, still isn't quite the same thing.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-28-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    With custom soundtrack support on the 360, it doesn't strike as a significant problem if they strip out the soundtrack as long as everything else is done well.
    Custom soundtrack support is never actually 'supported' though, in my experience. It'll just play the songs in your playlist with no option to set certain songs for certain stages the way games do. The 360's custom soundtrack support isn't as good as the original XBOX's from what I've seen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's correct (And it's certainly too bad in some circumstances like GTAIV compared to how the Xbox conversions handled it with a radio station dedicated to just your custom music).

But unlike a game like GTAIV where you'd only want to listen to your music while driving a car, it doesn't seem like it would be much of an issue in this game to me, even if it isn't a perfect substitute.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-28-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Custom soundtrack support is never actually 'supported' though, in my experience. It'll just play the songs in your playlist with no option to set certain songs for certain stages the way games do. The 360's custom soundtrack support isn't as good as the original XBOX's from what I've seen.
    Playing Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge on the original Xbox worked perfectly with your custom soundtracks. But then I played Burnout Revenge on the 360 and realized the music was no longer intergrated into the game. Instead you have to go to the dash to change songs. I really wish they kept it the same way it was on the original Xbox.

As for Jet Set Radio, if Sega releases a few more games they may make another compilation disc like they did for Sonic Adventures and Craxy Taxi. DLC is ok but I get more and more hessitant about how accesible these games will be years from now once the servers go down.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 02-28-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoProcess View Post
    They should make a sequel, they already ported it to the xbox 1
    No, Jet Set Radio Future for the original XBox is a sequel, not a port.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    After that dreadful port of Crazy Taxi, I'm expecting this one to be pretty bad too.
    Aye, I had the impression that the Dreamcast Collection has numerous problems.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own it, but wasn't a huge fan of the original DC version. Jet Set Radio Future, however, is fantastic.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aargh! No Jurassic 5?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was bound to happen. Actually, licensed music is also a reason why some tv shows never get released on dvd.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

So, who bought Jet Set Radio? What are your impressions? Was it worth getting? This is another game I'm on the fence about -- I love the Jet Set Radio games (ok, not the one on GBA, because I *hate* isometric view in action games), but I'm just weary about this port missing its mark. Even checking out Metacritic didn't help, since the reviews are all over the place about the HD version. And I do own Jet Set Radio Future for the Xbox, so would it be redundant to also get the remake of the Dreamcast original?
    Last edited by Lady Jaye; 09-17-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Totally buying this today ("PC digital release" is available starting September 19). And Lady Jaye, fret not: this is going to be an aawesome release with two A's, that's how awesome it is going to be!

OK, let me provide some evidence. First, it'll have the biggest soundtrack for Jet Set Radio outside of De La Jet Set Radio. That's 61 tracks of music, much more than the original Dreamcast release or the expanded American release. The only bits of music it'll be missing are one American track and one European track... and the Euro track is no great loss. Next, it's got lots of new graffiti that's been added, so even if you've seen what was in the DC original, this has more in store. (See, much like the original American release, this release also had a real-world graffiti contest to choose winners to have their art included in the game.) Third, if you like Trophies or Achievements, this has them. Personally I got all the stuff available in Jet Grind Radio in its original release, but having the Achievements setup keep track of things for me will make getting them all easier by freeing me to focus on the tasks. And finally this will be both widescreen and in HD, so while the graphics haven't been remade, the whole thing will still look beautiful.

As for your other concerns, the reviews on Metacritic are all over the place for the same reason reviews were all over for the original release: Jet Set Radio is a love it or hate it kind of a game. Some people just don't "get it" and will give it a poor score; others "click" with the whole thing and they love it. And unlike Jet Set Radio Future, this isn't a remake, a sequel, or a re-envisioning: it is the original game updated to run on new platforms and have some modern conventions like 1080p graphics, Achievements, and run at 60 FPS.

Bottom line: if you liked the original release, buy this and you'll thank yourself.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I bought this today and I gotta say, "Woooo!" Glad to be back on the streets of Tokyo-to.

There's a few cool-bies I'd like to mention about the Windows/Steam version of the game. First up, for those who like keeping game saves backed up in the cloud or if you play on multiple computers, Jet Set Radio HD includes Steam Cloud support. No shuffling about game saves and manually uploading to servers for you!

Next, the game looks glorious running at 60 frames per second instead of the original 30. The difference in fluidity is amazing!

Jet Set Radio HD PC also includes full support for all game controllers supported by Windows (and not only XBox 360 controllers like a lot of multi-platform releases these days). So whether you have a PC gamepad, a 360 wireless controller, or a Dreamcast controller hooked up with a USB adapter, you are good to go. And keyboard-only people, worry not for key remapping is included too.

The only slight downside to this version is that the Shift-Tab-induced Steam Overlay doesn't work with it, but that's OK because you can easily Alt-Tab to the desktop and return when you are done checking what you need to check. No funky graphics artifacts or game crashes like other games when you go to desktop (such as Team Fortress 2 on many occasions).

And finally, for all of you interested in the developer side of things, there is a ten minute or so long documentary about the creation of Jet Set Radio as well as other bonuses which can be unlocked.

Are you ready to get game funky?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

So what's the missing song?

Please tell me it's Dragula. The version in the game sucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played the demo tonight for Xbox 360 and it didn't seem to be running at 60FPS. The frame rate was pleasant and solid, but it didn't seem liquid smooth 60 FPS.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    So what's the missing song?
    "Yappie Feet" by Deavid Soul from the U.S. release and "Many Styles" by O.B. One from the European release.

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I played the demo tonight for Xbox 360 and it didn't seem to be running at 60FPS. The frame rate was pleasant and solid, but it didn't seem liquid smooth 60 FPS.
    Keep in mind, I was playing the PC Windows version at 1440x900 resolution. It might be the only version running at such a frame rate (It could also be more than 60...) and only if the PC can handle that many frames per second anyway.