Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghosts n' Goblins

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Ghosts n' Goblins

Believe it or not, I never played these games as a kid. Not in the arcade, not on the NES, not even on emulators. I heard about them, but their legendary difficulty always scared me away.

But I'm playing them now and... I've never had so much fun crying like a baby. So far, the most amazing feat I've pulled is getting to level 3 in the first game without dying (and I'm pretty sure I did that by accident). In the second and third games, I can't even get past the first level. That double-jump is mocking me, I tell you!

Well, let's round this out with some actual questions:

1. In Capcom Classics Collection, unlocking all the bonus features also unlocks a code that allows you to change your weapon. This is done by holding a direction when the level starts. I HATE this code and I often find myself doing it by accident, so I want to know: is there a way to disable it (besides "don't play with a memory card")?

2. If I already have the Capcom Classics version on the PS2, is there any point in buying the Capcom Generations release of this trilogy for the Saturn (outside of just to support the system)? Are there any noteworthy differences?

That's all I really want to know. Thanks in advance, and let the armor-breaking commence!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even though I have no answers to your questions, I'm glad to hear that you're getting into Ghost n' Goblins, Dantes! I never played them (much) as a child either, but as an adult I have sipped a bit of the experience and enjoyed it. What impresses me about the game is that it is so hard but yet it doesn't ever feel like the game cheated you. I don't believe I ever made it to stage three, though, either on the PS2 ports or the NES or SNES versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I imagine you'll get proper non-interlaced video from the Saturn versions. It's been a while since I put in my copy, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The nes game is probably one of the most difficult games I've played. It took me quite a few times to get past the red devil on level one. I agree I don't feel cheated or that the game is "cheap" . Just feel like the game would take some insane skill level to beat.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    I imagine you'll get proper non-interlaced video from the Saturn versions. It's been a while since I put in my copy, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.
    I am a fan of every version, including the SuperGrafx version of Ghouls and Ghosts. A wonderful series that is challenging.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Well, someone on eBay is selling the Saturn collection cheap. Auction ends in eight days... I hope nobody else wants it.

Even though it doesn't sound like there's much of a difference, I'll grab it anyway. You can never have too much of a good game. And my Saturn needs more love. Only problem is, I don't have an Action Replay cart, so I won't be able to actually play it.

EDIT: Anyone have an Action Replay they'll let go of for an unreasonably low price?
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 03-11-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I figured I'd share a link to this thread here.

In response to your first question, I don't think there's any way to disable it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Well, that's okay. I unlocked everything using a cheat anyway (a lot of CCC's bonus requirements are ridiculous, and I swear some of them are bugged--I beat Armadillon in Trojan but for some reason didn't get the bonus associated with him), so since the weapon-select annoys me so much, I just deleted the save and started a new file.

And yeah, I've noticed the same thing you all have: GnG is harder than Satan's demonic willy, but it feels fair, somehow. Especially compared to other arcade games I've played, such as Rastan (which feels poorly-designed and cheap), or even console games like the NES Ninja Gaiden trilogy (which is hard mostly due to B.S. like forcing you to start back if you die at a boss)

BTW, found an Action Replay for $27 plus free shipping. I hope I'm the only one who bids on it, though I wish I could've found one for a lower price.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 03-11-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love this series, even though I haven't finished a single game. Even the home computer ports are fun.
    One of these days I need to pick up a PSP and take a crack at Ultimate GnG.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...hlight=goblins

Please see link above. I too went on a G&G adventure for a while and was determined to not stop until I beat the NES and Arcade versions...Then I beat Adventure Island for NES...equally insanely difficult!

For those scared of the challenge, know that with persistence, you can definitely beat these games...don't let a few hundred deaths stop you.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Please see link above. I too went on a G&G adventure for a while and was determined to not stop until I beat the NES and Arcade versions...Then I beat Adventure Island for NES...equally insanely difficult!
    I beat Adventure Island on emulation over the course of a week or two. I would never have had the nerves nor the patience to beat the game on the actual hardware in one sitting. 10-20 minute sessions were more than enough for me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Contrabassoon86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Ghosts n' Goblins, but I find that it is difficult to sit and play these games straight through. I sat down to beat Super Ghouls n' Ghosts on the SNES, only to give up half-way through the second time through the game due to fatigue.

The ability to save one's game has spoiled us modern gamers. Or does anybody disagree with me?
    I love buying stuff now, that I could never afford in the past!!!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    BTW, found an Action Replay for $27 plus free shipping. I hope I'm the only one who bids on it, though I wish I could've found one for a lower price.
    I'm not completely sure what you need, is the Action Replay just to play imports?... would an ST Key do the job? I've got an extra kicking around that I need to sell if you don't win the auction. It ain't pretty, but if you are just using it to play that shouldn't matter. Only problem is I'm not sure I have a way to test it out. Anyway, keep it in mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I'm not completely sure what you need, is the Action Replay just to play imports?... would an ST Key do the job?
    It depends. I primarily want to play imports, but the RAM expansion feature might come in useful too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Thought I'd revive this topic.

Well, I finally got past level three. Now, I'm stuck at level five, the one where you have to keep going up while dodging ghosts and those little imps with fireballs. Around my fiftieth attempt at this stage, my soul jumped out of my body and said "Why are you punishing me like this? What did I do to hurt you so?" I didn't want the poor guy to feel bad, so I called it a day.

One thing I've realized: a lot of people make a big deal about what an asshole Red Arremer is, but I've seen two enemies who I think are even worse.

1) Those fucking ogres, the ones that stomp back and forth and come after you if they see you, and can shoot blue fireballs. And for some reason, they gravitate around ladders which you need to climb. I got into the habit of hitting them a few times, then jumping over them, hitting them from the other side, repeat until dead. Hate how effing short-range the shield is.

And worst enemy 2?

2) Ladders. Yeah. it keeps catching me off guard that when Arthur reaches the top, you need to hold up a little bit longer so he'll finish getting off the latter. Worse than that is when you need to duck, but a ladder is right below you so he starts climbing instead. It's like geez, you stupid knight. I bet you made your own armor too, and that's why it breaks all the time.

Still, level five... what an achievement!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still, level five... what an achievement!
    Cheers to you sir, and the finest balm from Gilead for your poor soul!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Well, in bad news, I was outbid on both the Action Replay and Capcom Generation 2, though the latter is still running so I might try to win it at the last minute. But I recently had a chance to acquire some hard-to-find RPGs so I might end up having to skip it until next month. If anyone has spares of either you're looking to get rid of, hold on to 'em for me, will ya?

Also, would there be any interest in me uploading a video of me playing the game? I have a Logitech webcam that actually takes pretty good videos of games if I adjust the settings right, and it has a good microphone too, so it can pick up both the game sounds and my commentary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, would there be any interest in me uploading a video of me playing the game? I have a Logitech webcam that actually takes pretty good videos of games if I adjust the settings right, and it has a good microphone too, so it can pick up both the game sounds and my commentary.
    I'd watch a video of you battling Ghosts n' Goblins.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ghosts n' Goblins

Great series, just wish it wasn't so hard for me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Also just got to the second level of Ghouls n' Ghosts. Damn bridges that drop you right into the Antlion's maws. Where's Cecil Harvey when you need 'im?

Still trying to get the Saturn set, and I just read the trilogy is also on the PSP (Capcom Classics Reloaded), so next month I'll grab that and Ultimate GnG. That would mean the only game I won't have is the Wonderswan one, though I'm not sure I want that so much.