Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would make you sell your collection?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Ironically, NOT having a kid would be something I'd sell every game off to avoid. I'd fire sale it all in a heartbeat if Roe v. Wade got overturned and we needed to make an unscheduled pilgrimage to Canada, or somewhere besides Central America where women still had reproductive rights.
    I'm confused. Are you trying to avoid not having a kid? Ie, you want a kid? That doesn't make sense in light of your pro-abortion stance. My wife just had our first child and I'd give up all my games to keep him without a doubt. Once you've held your own child in your arms you will then not be able to imagine how you lived without one. I put off having one for a long time, but I knew I would die miserable with regret in a nursing home with no one to visit me if I didn't have a kid.
    Wanted and willing to fairly pay for:
    Final Fantasy III Hat/Cap (Official Squaresoft)
    Philips CDI 740
    NTSC Proto of Daze Before Christmas (SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocky412 View Post
    I had to part with of my Atari 2600 collection 2 years ago when I was unemployed for 5 months. I had every game for the system plus a large collection of PAL games. Last year I had to part with my Genesis collection due to open heart surgery and being out of work on disability for 3 months. Collectiing $170.00 a week on disability forced me to sell.
    Slightly off topic and I don't know if your open heart surgery was a bypass or not, but if it was, I highly recommend watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

Getting back on topic. Financial problems would make me sell my stuff. At this point, that's about it. I don't have such a huge collection that I could put 20% down on a house and I am looking at buying or building a house in the next year or two. Somewhere in a subdivision so my wife is not all alone when I'm at work and preferentially a few acres.
    Wanted and willing to fairly pay for:
    Final Fantasy III Hat/Cap (Official Squaresoft)
    Philips CDI 740
    NTSC Proto of Daze Before Christmas (SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by obesolete View Post
    I really didn't want to go for the condo route, but it's the difference between $200k for a er,... "affordable" living arrangement versus a near $400k small house with patio for a yard at best. I just cant stand sinking almost 2k a month into the rental I'm in now.

Ugh, Toronto housing...
    I hear you. I live in Newmarket and just bought a townhouse for $350k. This would be impossible for my family back in Ohio to understand, since there, an expensive house would be around 80k.

If you have so much video game related stuff that it would make a dent in your liabilities, then yes, I would sell. Prices for much stuff is relatively high right now. It sounds like you have a lot of stuff just sitting around that will never get enjoyed. Sell it for sure.
    Last edited by Zing; 03-12-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what would make me sell my collection hmmm... one hundred billion dollars per cell in the human body per game [there are roughly 13 trillion cells in the human body according to bill nye] do that math

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    I'm confused. Are you trying to avoid not having a kid? Ie, you want a kid? That doesn't make sense in light of your pro-abortion stance.
    Typo. Not having a kid is something I'd sell everything to do, i.e., I'd sell it all to avoid having a kid.

My wife just had our first child and I'd give up all my games to keep him without a doubt.
    I'd imagine so.

Once you've held your own child in your arms you will then not be able to imagine how you lived without one.
    You don't actually believe that, do you? I've held my child in my arms countless times, and I absolutely can imagine how I lived without her. Hell, I don't have to "imagine", I remember.

I put off having one for a long time, but I knew I would die miserable with regret in a nursing home with no one to visit me if I didn't have a kid.
    That's not something I've ever had a fear of, and I certainly wouldn't create more people just to have someone to visit me in a home one day...not that I think anything's wrong with anyone else feeling that way.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nothing outside of me collecting something new or desperate need of cash.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

A buyer with lots of money !

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I would sell my collection for a down-payment on a house, but not for a condo. I wouldn't even sell Gyromite for a down payment on a condo. A house has value to me, not so much on a condo. People are giving them away in some areas of the country. I heard a radio show about how people in Denver couldn't give away their Condos.

If the roof needs repair, YOUR MONTHLY dues go up. The fence needs to be replaced, your MONTHLY dues go up. Your neighbor stops paying their dues....YOUR monthly dues go up.

What is happening is some of the units are sitting empty because people lost their job, forclusure, they just cant sell the units,etc,...... you pay for it. If half of th units are empty, your dues double.
    Unrelated to the question, but this is absolutely false information. Condo boards have reserve funds that are applied to maintenance, in the event there is a large cost involved, the cost of the project is split throughout the owners based upon their total percentage of ownership of the building via a one-time special assessment fee. If you own a house and the roof needs repair, who do you think pays? Still, the owner. There is no difference there. If other unit owners due not pay their dues, my fee does not go up. I'm not sure where you came up with that, but you clearly do not own property.

To answer the OPs question, I can't think of anything that would make me sell other than just not being interested in any of the particular systems any more, which I've done so in the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    I hear you. I live in Newmarket and just bought a townhouse for $350k. This would be impossible for my family back in Ohio to understand, since there, an expensive house would be around 80k.

If you have so much video game related stuff that it would make a dent in your liabilities, then yes, I would sell. Prices for much stuff is relatively high right now. It sounds like you have a lot of stuff just sitting around that will never get enjoyed. Sell it for sure.
    Even in Newmarket the prices are that high? Sheesh! My parents just bought a house in Saint Catherines for $169k and I wanted to puke with jealousy.

My husband and I were searching prices on some games last night and holy bananas, sell sell sell.
    We agreed to unload all of the RPGs(and rares) that are selling high right now, pick up some usb controller ports for the mame cab and a couple of super comfy stools and rom it up.
    ...Then we pulled out the snes and played mario all stars until we had to go to bed and had second thoughts.

I think we are still going to get rid of the super golden goodies that are selling high for the mean time, and just wait for the rest. We're not in a huge hurry to unload but if the demand for say example, Earthbound(I know,... boooo) is insane right now, why not rake in the cash? It's not like I have time to sit down and play rpgs anymore.

Who wants first dibs on boxed RPGs?! JK
    I'll still probably end up making a thread in buy and sell first giving forum members the opportunity to take what they want before ebaying that stuff up.
    Closet Monsters: Custom and Retro Game Plushies Obesolete.etsy.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I live very reasonable so that in an event of a job loss, I would still keep everything. With that being said and with a solid stance on never selling my collection...I would if I was in dire financial need/family medical bills/etc. I hate even to think about it. I have talked to alot of longtime collectors. Many of them would never sell ever, but I think it depends on who you are and how healthy you are. If there came a time that I was not able to play my own videogame collection....then that might change things.

Until then, I am going to appreciate what I have collected and play it as much as I can, as well as help others collect videogames.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rakden
    PSN
    Rakden_Krell
    Steam
    Rakden

I unloaded a sizable collection of games and accessories to beef up my down payment for our first house. I've slowly been growing my collection back as time and money permits. I've been more focused this time around. I use to collect anything and everything. These days I gravitate toward things I'm really nostalgic for, NES, SNES, PS1, Classic Macintosh.

***Edit***
    RPGs were the money maker for me. One of the reasons it's been so slow building back up. It's rare to see some of these things at a price I want to pay so I bide my time. I did just snag a copy of Suikoden II at MGC this weekend so I'll be eating ramen for lunch for a while.
    Last edited by macdude22; 03-26-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Pft. Selling my collection would have to be the only way of saving someone's life. And I'd have to really like that person.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I’ve sold off lots of my collection to fund other things such as Mini MotoGP Racing..
    I just find racing MiniGP motorcycles more fun then collecting games...and I’ve collected lots of games in the past..I’ve had walls=rooms filled with games...I’d say I was a game item hoarder.
    after our apt move to a bigger place and having to pack up all that stuff,I started off new not having much on display in the new apt..It was a change of how I looked at collecting games for my own good...I no longer want to see walls and huge shelves of games,I want a little here and there and it to be specifics..
    I still collect games not as furious as I did before,mainly specifics,unique,if I like looking at it it goes on display,but in short time it piles up again.. ..I don’t know how I amass so much game stuff in such short time..it’s still in me though I don’t look at it like I used to
    So when I need something for racing,for bills,van repair..or say my kids,wife gets sick,the gaming stuff goes...

There are things I own that are on the never sell unless in dire need such as my arcade machines but gaming stuff can all go..

Right now I want to be racing with my family more then I want to do anything else....I still game,I don’t trade games back in,things I want to always play like Super Mario Bros is always on hand set up in a NES..
    ....as a kid I started off racing and collecting games..and it’s still with me today..I just don’t care for it like I did before s it’s not hard to sell it off.

I have a ton of stuff right now I'd love to get rid of..

I sold off game stuff to buy all these bikes.

Last edited by Videogamerdaryll; 03-26-2012 at 02:47 PM.