Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metal Slug Anthology - Functional differences between PSP and PS2 versions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I'm pretty sure that release is held in much higher regard than the Anthology versions.
    Cool! Do you remember why?

If its just better emulation then I will probably sell it. I always thought Anthology was good enough. But if it has some extras that the Anthology lacks then I might just have to open and play it.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shulamana View Post
    Traded up to the PS2 version, definitely still has many of the same silly loading issues, but being able to play it with a PlayStation analog stick (I'm using an old Dual Analog controller) is a pretty good upgrade in control.
    You can get HDAdvance and a hard drive arrangement for your Fat PS2, that should take care of the loading issues. Metal Slug for the PS2 works beautiful with an Arcade stick.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Kinda off topic, but just wanted to say that I tried this game on a friends Vita, and it looked absolutely gorgeous on that Vita screen. I was pretty shocked by how good it looked.
    Now that you mention that, I just wanted to address my findings that having the texture smoothing and Vita color depth features can cause some instability in some PSP titles. (crashing, etc.)

I didn't want to make a whole thread about it, but as long as we're mentioning how nice PSP games look on Vita (they do!) know that it's probably best to run them in standard mode if, like Metal Slug, it's not a game that auto-saves.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Cool! Do you remember why?

If its just better emulation then I will probably sell it. I always thought Anthology was good enough. But if it has some extras that the Anthology lacks then I might just have to open and play it.
    Mostly it's better performance (And they're actually ports from the original source code, unlike these Anthology versions).

Some things I recall reading though besides that for the standalone Metal Slug releases on last generation consoles are that Metal Slug 3 on the Xbox sends you back to the beginning of a stage when you continue (Making the game basically impossible for most people) and has extra content.

The subject of your question, Metal Slug 4/5 on the PS2, doesn't have any additional modes. Only additions I've ever seen mentioned are that it has a achievement/trophy system and level select options. And it returns to a more conventional continue system.

Considering picking these up myself one of these days. Thanks to this thread, I'm really getting into this series for the first time and becoming much more fond of it.