Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retro games rock...everything else makes me sick...it's crap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Somebody needs to play a little bit of Pac-man C.E. and Afternurner Climax.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    I seem to recall marketing for pretty much every system ever that was at least in some way tied to how much better the graphics were than a competing/previous generation system.
    Except the Wii since it's pretty much just a Gamecube in terms of graphics

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

gaming was more magical and hardcore in the 80's and 90's and there was a much better variety of companies, systems and games. the internet brought gaming to the mainstream and modern gaming is too popular and mainstream now and has lost a lot of magic, also way too many sequels these days. Not enough cool original stuff. So ya I blame the internet.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

actually IMHO you can blame progression. every new system tended to out do the last graphically, however they were still kinda behind (compared to arcade and pc) and had something to look forward to. now I believe we've hit a wall and tactics are being used to coax the gamer in (motion controls/3d/dlc)

now you want to get into discussion of newer games that don't suck.

I'm a huge fan of the borderlands series (I love rpgs, I love good fps's, I love mad max:winner). but I also love the style (best cel shading Ive seen) and the humor.

and I know this one got some flack, But I absolutely love shadow of the damned, I just wish it had better replay value. and the indie games coming out now on XBLA are extremely addicting.

A new game coming out for all the consoles via download would be right up OPs alley: Retro City Rampage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6sMr-qKmD4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    gaming was more magical and hardcore in the 80's and 90's and there was a much better variety of companies, systems and games. the internet brought gaming to the mainstream and modern gaming is too popular and mainstream now and has lost a lot of magic, also way too many sequels these days. Not enough cool original stuff. So ya I blame the internet.
    At the same time, without the internet retro gaming would not have experienced the renaissance that it has enjoyed. The internet giveth and it taketh, good sir.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    At the same time, without the internet retro gaming would not have experienced the renaissance that it has enjoyed. The internet giveth and it taketh, good sir.
    Yes and no I say. I think retro gaming would still be very popular without the internet. I mean like with ebay, I can go on there and easily buy tons of games for cheap, it takes away the special feeling that I had in the 80s or 90s when getting 1 game was a big deal. i mean like if you saw an ad in your paper someone selling games it was exciting no matter what price they were asking! Then along came the internet and we are flooded with cheap games to buy lol. which is not a bad thing in the investment sense but in the gaming sense it really took a lot of magic away for me. too many people have too many games these days and i think we have a hard time appreciating them like we did back in the day when we all didnt own boatloads of games. in the 90s i was happy to have 5-10 games for a system i owned at the particular time now its more the norm to have 50-100 games for TONS of systems lol. i think a lot of us are overwhelmed.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Nostalgia is a funny thing. Twenty years from now, there will be people talking about how they don't make games like Skyward Sword and Halo Reach.

I play good games, no matter what generation they are from. Retro games are not immune from being crap. Think we have too many FPSes these days? In the 90's there were too many one on one fighting games and platformers. There were good ones, sure, but most were just mediocre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

What's funny is that the EXACT same argument was being made for "retro" systems when the NES and SNES were current gen systems.

As far as the whole holodeck thing, technology doesn't usually make huge jumps like that, it transitions. To get there, there has to be many smaller transitions. Modern systems are simply a necessary part of that transition from pong to who knows what's next. But I'm sure the OP knows this which is why I'm not sure why they feel the need to rant.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

This is exactly what I'm trying to explain to the other kids at my school. A few of them get it, but most are gimmicked by graphics and enhancements that are unnecessary and stupid. Why no one just buys old systems off ebay for 20 bucks rather than 300 and gets 3 times the fun I dont know. It dosent make any sense man, it just dosen't make any sense.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    What's funny is that the EXACT same argument was being made for "retro" systems when the NES and SNES were current gen systems.

As far as the whole holodeck thing, technology doesn't usually make huge jumps like that, it transitions. To get there, there has to be many smaller transitions. Modern systems are simply a necessary part of that transition from pong to who knows what's next. But I'm sure the OP knows this which is why I'm not sure why they feel the need to rant.
    Well...yes...of course I know that genius. But until we get there...I'm not wasting my money anymore. Like I said...for retro games I'm forgiving ad understanding since they started everything....but for the newer games...it's just gimmicks and graphics. We still have to hold that f*cking controller and stare at a stupid screen. I refuse to do either. I want to be in the game...calling the shots and moving around like I do in the real world. Only thing I see meeting this criteria is the holodeck.

And all this talk about "but there are gems in current systems" blah blah blah is just a bunch of crap. These are the same people who line up to buy re-released versions of Ocarina...further supporting the stupidity of companies...so yeah...your opinion means nothing to me.

thank you.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I'm just going to take a seat and watch the show
    is the seat next to you free?

on a side note i bought my v2 sega genesis with games lot off a guy who does nothing but retro game. He says newer consoles and games feel too confusing with all the buttons and such *shrug*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ziggy3008

Props OP.

A quick list of excellent games that are more modern. If you think these games are crap, you are wrong. I could easily make a much longer list, too. When you make broad sweeping statements saying modern games "are a bunch of crap" you need to be able to account for games like these.

Diablo 2
    Deus Ex
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Unreal Tournament
    Half-Life
    Metal Gear Solid 1,2,3,4
    Half-Life 2
    Skyrim
    Morrowind
    Diablo
    Diablo 2
    Fallout
    Grand Theft Auto (almost all of them)
    STALKER
    The Witcher 2
    Fallout 3
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Planescape: Torment
    Baldurs Gate
    System Shock 2
    Bioshock
    Amnesia
    Limbo
    Machinarium
    Minecraft (yeah....graphics are everything....)
    Mass Effect
    Mass Effect 2
    Battlefield 3
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    Dead Space
    Dead Space 2
    Supreme Commander
    Crysis ( I have no qualms about saying how much graphics are a big part of this game, but it is also a damn good FPS.)
    Wizardry 8

I am sure anyone else could make a similar list or a better one.

I suggest you put away your security blanket and forget about "being in the game" cause its not happening in your lifetime, pal. Do yourself a favor and put a controller (gamepad/keyboard/mouse) in your hands and "stare at a stupid screen" displaying any one of these fine games.
    Last edited by Gooch3008; 03-16-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    I don't think I'll ever get bored of my NES and SNES...with all their flaws and imperfections...those 2 systems are the only ones that matter to me. Retro games in general I have nothing but love for. But modern video games are complete crap. Just utter and total garbage. I don't know why soo many morons buy the stuff. I realized that tonight while playing Lolo for my NES...taking a break and trying to play something more recent...giving up...and playing Lolo again.

Seriously...all the modern stuff is garbage. It's nothing but gimmicks and fancy graphics. Every mother f-ing new system is just an update to graphics. I don't give a rats behind about graphics...WHY?!?? Because I still have to hold that stupid controller in my hand while staring at some stupid television. I don't want to hold an f-ing thing in my hand. I don't want to stare at a damn screen. I DON'T want to play AS Link. I WANT TO BE LINK. Why the hell can't they make the holodeck from Star Trek. That's what I want. I want myself...physically...to walk around a world and tell Gannon to stop d*cking around and let Zelda go. I want to be able to approach NPC's and tell them to their face that I reject their idiotic sidequests. I want to be Megaman and slap Dr. Wily and then blast him right between the eyes. That's the kind of system I want.

So until that day comes...you'll find me in front of my NES and SNES. The rest...I leave to all the moronic fanboy pricks out there. I'll save my money for a real improvement and update.

thank you.

Calling people that buy current gen systems morons? Calling everything now just fancy graphics and gimmicks? I would normally go into why you're wrong and show you some of the amazing games this gen but you come off as a troll so it's hard to waste anytime with a troll.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    Yes and no I say. I think retro gaming would still be very popular without the internet. I mean like with ebay, I can go on there and easily buy tons of games for cheap, it takes away the special feeling that I had in the 80s or 90s when getting 1 game was a big deal. i mean like if you saw an ad in your paper someone selling games it was exciting no matter what price they were asking! Then along came the internet and we are flooded with cheap games to buy lol. which is not a bad thing in the investment sense but in the gaming sense it really took a lot of magic away for me. too many people have too many games these days and i think we have a hard time appreciating them like we did back in the day when we all didnt own boatloads of games. in the 90s i was happy to have 5-10 games for a system i owned at the particular time now its more the norm to have 50-100 games for TONS of systems lol. i think a lot of us are overwhelmed.
    Yeah, unfortunately, you're right. This would be a significant part of how the internet "taketh." As great as it is to have the ability to nab so many games at low prices, the magic of having the games has inversely diminished. The first lot I bought off ebay was such a high. The second and third, not so much. Of course, there are new highs to be had with internet video game collecting. Who hasn't been stoked when they won an auction for a game or system they wanted at a low price? Waiting for a game to arrive in the mail really builds up the anticipation in the whole experience. Yet, as you wrote, at the end of the day, having a hundred or so games for multiple systems does overwhelm at times. I think this might take away from certain aspects of the collecting experience, but as a gamer, I do appreciate having such a vast library of games to choose from. While I am playing, say, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, I don't really think of how I have crates filled other games lying around. I just enjoy playing the game and wonder in the back of my head if I will ever beat Mike Tyson. There isn't that much concern over the fact that I don't have the second release of the game with Mr. Dream when I'm eating a Tyson haymaker.
    Last edited by treismac; 03-16-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamers are a pretty damn diverse group of people. We all have pretty specific tastes. I'm going to say I generally agree with you. I don't game nearly as much as I used to. Its not because I'm older with more responsibilities either. It's because the amount of games coming out that hold my attention are slowly declining. I personally don't feel that 95% of all modern games don't challenge the player like the classics did. I broke my fair share of controllers of the years, but now its all pretty easy. I think its because gaming has evolved over the years from being only for gamers..to for everyone. But the term gamer has even changed over the years. I didn't know a single person growing up with a game console that didn't treat it like their prized possession and play it religiously. Now a days everyone has game consoles, people of all walks of life and they have become more like the family DVD player, its just there for convenience when you feel up to using it.

There are still some good modern games. I've been playing Skyrim a lot lately, but again - its the 1st non retro game purchase for me since...November.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    In the 90's there were too many one on one fighting games
    Sir, there can never ever be too many one-on-one fighting games.

Ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Sir, there can never ever be too many one-on-one fighting games.

Ever.
    Hahaha!!! I agree, but, to play Devil's advocate, have you ever heard of Time Killers?

*shudders*

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    I have to take a shit. Excuse me.
    Why bother? The OP has clearly taken one already.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just one? I seem to recall something about Earthbound... But it's retro-awesome right? Oh, shit...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Just one? I seem to recall something about Earthbound... But it's retro-awesome right? Oh, shit...
    For reference;
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?153089

Just to be ahead of the curve.