Thread: Next PlayStation may be called Orbis

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Next PlayStation may be called Orbis

From G4,

The next PlayStation console, the PS4, may be called (or codenamed) Orbis. The latest next-gen Sony console rumors come from Kotaku's sources and reveal a holiday 2013 release date.

According to the Kotaku's sources, Orbis will have an AMD x64 CPU and an AMD Southern Islands GPU, a high-end PC card. The Orbis would also have a resolution of 4096x2160. Most households don't have HDTVs that are capable of displaying that, yet. The Orbis will be powerful enough to play 3D games in 1080p.

That's all the good news. The bad news: The system reportedly won't be backwards compatible with PS3 titles. If you think that's surprising, then you're not going to like this. The Orbis will have some type of feature that will prevent gamers from playing used games. Supposedly, Games will be purchased on a Blu-ray disc or via PSN download and only be playable on one PSN account. It's not clear how Sony would limit the use of retail copies. It's possible a used copy would only give you access to a trial of the game.

So what does Orbis mean? Wikipedia says it's a Doctor Who audio play. That doesn't help us at all unless Kaz Hirai will be the 12th Doctor. In Latin Orbis means "circle, orb, ring, disk, orbit, coil/ round / rotation." This could indicate the shape, the logo of the console. Orbis could just be the codename, similar to the Kinect's first name: Natal.

No matter what it's called, I'm going to be honest; this doesn't sound like a console I would buy. The anti-used games policy seems to punish gamers. Are these the features you want from the PS4?
    Hopefully the whole "used games" thing is just a rumor. If it isn't, I have a feeling that the Wii U will win this console war.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

See I think when it comes to "used discs don't work", I think it's better off to just download the game instead of buy a physical copy. 1 - costs less. 2- it's tied to your account for re-download. 3 - the game is married to your console anyway, so what's the difference of buying a disc in this case. Especially if they decide to go green and make manuals digital only.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    See I think when it comes to "used discs don't work", I think it's better off to just download the game instead of buy a physical copy. 1 - costs less. 2- it's tied to your account for re-download. 3 - the game is married to your console anyway, so what's the difference of buying a disc in this case. Especially if they decide to go green and make manuals digital only.
    Downloads will never be "used", and missing that whole aspect will result in higher priced games. Then again, this is shaping up to be an endless argument of tangible physicality versus convenient practicality.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

For these last 2 cycles, the only consoles that they haven't said "it won't play used games" about have been Nintendo console. It hasn't been true yet, and I won't believe it is about the next console releases either until it's actually proven.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Will this new Playstation Orbis also allow me to book the cheapest rates on hotels, flights, and car rentals like that website?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not worrid about the lost of backwards compatibility if that rumor turns out to be true. But not allowing used games to be played is pretty annoying. We have now heard the same rumor for both next gen consoles. Yes it's just a rumor but I have a feeling that each system might have a method of employing this for all games but may only use it to test on certain titles. It's a rumor that hopefully turns out to be false for both systems.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Will this new Playstation Orbis also allow me to book the cheapest rates on hotels, flights, and car rentals like that website?
    Maybe with the built-in browser, but that's Orbitz. It doesn't even rhyme with Orbis. Orbis rhymes with Ogg Vorbis, which like web browsing will probably be supported at launch and removed 10-12 months later.

Judging by their track record, if this IS a real plan, the 2000/slim revision will remove the optical drive entirely. They're not going to give us Linux again, so expect existing features to evaporate/evolve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While reading about this console on two other sites it also says that this new system would require a constant internet connection to be able to play any of your games. That just can't be true, unless Sony wanted to willingly forfeit the next gen to their rivals.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone is going to take the dive and require a connection. It's going to happen eventually. If anyone can do it, though, it's Sony. The market might not be ready for it just yet, but it will be in five years when the PS3 is finally on its way out. They're the only company ever to be able to sustain two home consoles at once for extended periods. The PS3 will still sell in areas without accessible broadband, while the PS4 will flop around like the PS3 did in 2006-2008. It might be slow, but it works.

If the iPad can move crazy numbers, it's time for a connected console.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

thank god i held on to my original launch 60 gig ps3, best 3 systems ever released all on one console! lol

if all 3 next gen systems have some sort of anti used game feature included, just off principle u can count me out, i had a good run, gives me more time to catch up on my ps1 rpgs

i dont even really buy used, im usually a day 1 preorder so it shouldnt affect me, but i cant in good conscience support something like this, they pull shit like this and then want to act like somehow WE'RE the entitled ones, they shouldnt get a cut out of something they already got their money out of the first time, but its not like they havent found ways to get money out of that, why do you think cod, the most popular game of all time doesnt include any online code? because even if you bought the game used, theres a good chance that you'll still pay for the ridiculously overpriced dlc....again and again and again and again
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

Well if you think about it the whole one-time use strategy has already been implemented in some 3DS and Vita games, and to a smaller degree with the requirement of online passes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    For these last 2 cycles, the only consoles that they haven't said "it won't play used games" about have been Nintendo console.
    lol the only console who's games I'm not interested in playing.

While reading about this console on two other sites it also says that this new system would require a constant internet connection to be able to play any of your games. That just can't be true, unless Sony wanted to willingly forfeit the next gen to their rivals.
    Forfeit it to who, the rival who has the same rumors circulating or the one which is rumored to have only current gen graphics in its next gen console?
    Last edited by Griking; 03-28-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I am really tired of the PC-ifying of consoles. I have both and play both frequently for entirely different reasons. If I have to deal with more PC bullshit without any of the benefits then I wont be buying the next round of consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Huh? This kind of shit is the exact opposite of PC, where no company can impose these kinds of anti-consumer policies on the entire platform.
    At least when a PC game has some bullshit DRM, you can just choose to buy a different game that doesn't have it. With a console, every publisher will be forced to operate the same way, so there's no choice, and no chance for consumers to reward good publishers at the expense of the bad ones.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think they are gambling that a majority of people will but games new. That these are the customers they want to sell the consoles to and those who buy used games will have to buy an activation code which will cost how much??? the same price as the new game???

It seems there will be no backwards compatibility. They are moving from the Cell Processor to and AMD processor. Emulation of the PS3 does not seem like an easy task; if it were compatibility would probably start low (like the Xbox 360).

I don't think you will need a constant internet connection, just an internet connection that will allow you to activate the games. They will want to make the system as accessible as possible.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    I think they are gambling that a majority of people will but games new. That these are the customers they want to sell the consoles to and those who buy used games will have to buy an activation code which will cost how much??? the same price as the new game???

It seems there will be no backwards compatibility. They are moving from the Cell Processor to and AMD processor. Emulation of the PS3 does not seem like an easy task; if it were compatibility would probably start low (like the Xbox 360).

I don't think you will need a constant internet connection, just an internet connection that will allow you to activate the games. They will want to make the system as accessible as possible.

maybe im a cynic, but that entire "no backwards compatibility" seems to be by design, they'll use the whole "incompatible architecture" of the new chip as an excuse, then a year or so down the line, they'll just resell "updated" ps3 games that we probably already own except now instead of 720p, maybe it'll run at 1080p or some shit
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Forfeit it to who, the rival who has the same rumors circulating or the one which is rumored to have only current gen graphics in its next gen console?
    Neither Microsoft nor Nintendo have been rumored to require a constant internet connection in order to play ALL games for their next gen consoles. That one just started with Sony's Orbis and if true(we all know it's just a rumor for now) would certainly drive potential PS4 consumers to Microsofts or Nintendos next consoles that didn't require a constant internet connection to play all games, including single player ones.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Maybe it will give you a sparkling smile, each time you use it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

The big three have totally sucked the fun out of gaming for me. I guess the biggest issues for me is the MASSIVE expansion of DLC . I don't blame these companies for doing this because it's better for their investors but as a gamer it's getting way too unecissarily complicated and expensive. Retro Gaming (in this case last gen and before) has never been so attractive as it is now.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Next PlayStation may be called Orbis

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    The big three have totally sucked the fun out of gaming for me. I guess the biggest issues for me is the MASSIVE expansion of DLC . I don't blame these companies for doing this because it's better for their investors but as a gamer it's getting way too unecissarily complicated and expensive. Retro Gaming (in this case last gen and before) has never been so attractive as it is now.
    Amen! Glad I've got so many retro consoles! Or just play what I have and say screw 'em!