Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Games you don't normally play for story, that actually have interesting stories?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Games you don't normally play for story, that actually have interesting stories?

I know we've all heard it before: "I don't play games for the story." (At least when talking about platformers, fighting games, shmups or what-have-you, unlike RPGs or point-n-click where the story is expected to be a drawing point). But even so, have you ever found that there's a platformer, shmup, fighter or otherwise "don't play for story" game that has an actually unexpectedly interesting plot?

Here's some I've found lately:

Shadow Dancer for the Genesis - The manual claims that the terrorists are controlled by a reptillian creature who gives orders not by words or thought, but by pure instinct. I have no idea how that makes any sense, but it sure is an interesting idea. Someone, novelize this!

R-Type (whole franchise) - Dude, the alien threat is a time-travelling biological weapon. What else do you need?

Contra - Shirtless commandos vs Terrorists who are actually H.R. Giger aliens. In the Japanese timeline, its in the future and the fourth game deals with the rebuilding of society and has criminals trying to steal alien embryos after the fall of the Red Viper. I'm sure Hasbro could incorporate this into the G.I. Joe line somehow, if they wanted.

Anyone else want to add to this pile?
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 04-18-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Clash at Demonhead for the NES by Vic Tokai has an interesting story with non-linear game play, different interesting characters, actual plot twists, and entertaining dialogue. You play as Bang, a secret agent, who is trying to save a professor who created a Dooms Day bomb. For an 8-bit platformer, its story ain't too shabby.

I recall my older cousin playing Golgo 13 for the NES, another Vic Tokai action game, which had a story to go along with the game play. Since I haven't seen it (I'm not sure I actually ever played it) in years, I have no clue what the story was about, but it is apparently based on a manga and anime from the '70s that is the Japanese equivalent of James Bond. Pat the NES Punk does an entertaining video review of the game that is worth watching, by the way. There was a sequel to the game, which I never saw but I assume it has a typical spy story with the standard betrayals and revelations as well.

Edit:

Oh, snap!! The Ninja Gaiden series for the NES. All three have an actual story line complete with cut scene animation.
    Last edited by treismac; 04-14-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is subject to one's definition of RPG. I'd say The Battle of Olympus has a pretty good story for its time though.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Snatcher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Comix Zone for Genesis. Also Spider-Man and Venom Maximum Carnage for either Genesis or SNES.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Echo Clash at Demonhead. That game probably set the stage for my anime years.

Bionic Commando I also enjoyed the story for - even if it was only really told through radio/etc. I remember getting more excited as I got near the end and how elated I was to save Super Joe.

The first Metal Gear Solid for PS1 was pretty exciting too. The second... Eh...
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Insert Coin (Level 0) cholkavich's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cholkavich
    PSN
    Cholkavich

fatal rewind is one that i enjoy. the story is mainly in the manual. kinda reminds me a bit of running man.

id also say ecco games have pretty good story

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If you consider the fifth generation to be classic, then there are plenty.

Blood Omen Legacy of Kain. What starts off as Kain seeking revenge on those that killed him, turns into him eventually being led on to the downfall of the pillars of Nosgoth.

Soul Reaver. The sequel to Blood Omen, although by a different developer and following the events of Raziel rather than being focused on Kain. Soul Reaver has a good storyline, although it's a clearly only part of a game and sets the story for Soul Reaver 2, which finishes off with Defiance, both on the PS2, Defiance also on the XBOX. The basis of the storyline is that Raziel is the only one that has free will and is manipulated by others into changing the past and future.

Resident Evil series.

Tecmo's Deception. Being framed for murder the murder of your father, the king, your character sells his soul to the devil and kills intruders to a mansion you take over.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Clash at Demonhead for the NES by Vic Tokai has an interesting story with non-linear game play, different interesting characters, actual plot twists, and entertaining dialogue. You play as Bang, a secret agent, who is trying to save a professor who created a Dooms Day bomb. For an 8-bit platformer, its story ain't too shabby.
    I saw the Happy Video Game Nerd's review of this (a friend of mine has the actual game too, but I haven't played it in years). Certainly qualifies!

I recall my older cousin playing Golgo 13 for the NES, another Vic Tokai action game, which had a story to go along with the game play. Since I haven't seen it (I'm not sure I actually ever played it) in years, I have no clue what the story was about, but it is apparently based on a manga and anime from the '70s that is the Japanese equivalent of James Bond.
    That's one way of putting it, though I'm not sure I agree with comparing Golgo to Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    The first Metal Gear Solid for PS1 was pretty exciting too. The second... Eh...
    Do NOT diss MGS2. Just don't. *Holds up sign proudly proclaiming "I like Raiden!"*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNtd View Post
    Snatcher
    Snatcher falls under the category of point and click. Sure, it has action sequences, but for the most part, it is a pnc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You wouldn't know until beating it, but Fantasy Zone has a strangely serious and seemingly interesting plot. As transcribed from the closing scene of the TG16 port:

Opa-Opa (the player) has now destroyed the invading army and restored peace to the "Fantasy Zone".
    However, he has mixed emotions because his long lost father was the chief of the enemy forces.
    One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days...
    "Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

Resident Evil series.
    This^

Think about the Mortal kombat series. Say what you will but the series had alot of story for a fighter.

Kung Lao / Shang tsung /liu kang story.
    The scorpion / sub zero thing.
    Subzero and his brother.
    Sonya , Kano and jax storyline.
    The deadly alliance.
    It goes on and on!!!
    Last edited by hellraiser; 04-15-2012 at 01:47 AM.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More PC games than I could list....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Don't get too hung up on the "non-RPG" thing. What I really meant was "games that you normally don't play for the story."

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Shaq Fu has a lot of story for a fighting game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Splatterhouse series had a pretty cool storyline thru all three, tho the first game had most of its story hacked right off.

The Valis series also has a decent story told thru anime cutscenes and in-game text.

And who could forget the thrilling, philosophical story in Bad Dudes? First, you have to answer the question of whether you're a bad enough dude; and then, if you are, you share a burger with the president! FUCK YEAH!
    Last edited by mobiusclimber; 04-15-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

I thought Startropics 2 "Zoda's Revenge" had a good story that you didn't really expect that was non RPG

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post

And who could forget the thrilling, philosophical story in Bad Dudes? First, you have to answer the question of whether you're a bad enough dude; and then, if you are, you share a burger with the president! FUCK YEAH!
    Same with Final Fight

one charecter gets his ass handed to him by his best friend so his g/f can go up to him and comfort him.... Riveting story!!!!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always loved the story of Myst. Atrus learns The Art from his father Gehn, but their philosophies conflict. Gehn writes links to worlds to show his power, but Atrus is more of a scientist-explorer. In the mythology, The Art is about linking to existing worlds within infinite possibilities, but Gehn believes that he is actually creating those worlds with his writing.

Mega Man X always fascinated me with its story, even though there's not a lot to it. In most stories where the robots rebel, they all turn on the humans together because it's the logical thing to do or they're just all in agreement. In MMX, the reploids are divided. Many turn on the humans as a result of the virus, but there remain those who choose to fight for the humans. Even more interesting is the fact that some like Vile and Dynamo are in the middle, not really caring about either side or merely acting in their own best interests. It's a nice contrast to the original series - where Mega Man fought in response to Asimovian logic, X fights because he chooses to.

The Guilty Gear series reminds me of Blade Runner, with the Gears being the equivalent of Replicants. By fighting game standards, I thought it was interesting. It makes more sense than BlazBlue...

Out of all the classic point-and-click adventure games, I think The Dig had the best story. The asteroid that almost hits Earth turns out to be a space ship sent out long ago as an invitation to to share their technologies. The senders were unable to recall their invitations after learning the terrible nature of what they created and eventually left reality, so those who answered the call found themselves marooned on the alien's planet. I always wished they had made a sequel to explain what kind of welcome the crew had when they returned to Earth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I've always loved the story of Myst. Atrus learns The Art from his father Gehn, but their philosophies conflict. Gehn writes links to worlds to show his power, but Atrus is more of a scientist-explorer. In the mythology, The Art is about linking to existing worlds within infinite possibilities, but Gehn believes that he is actually creating those worlds with his writing.
    If you like Myst, check out the three books. I might even say the books were more interesting than the games. I've only played Myst, Riven, and Exile though. The names of the books are Book of Ti'ana, Book of Atrus, and Book of D'ni, if I recall.