Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAN'T do both. Console and computer gaming.... opinion's needed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    lakerstowin

Default CAN'T do both. Console and computer gaming.... opinion's needed.

I have a pretty decent collection of games that range from atari 2600 through ps vita. I have been a hardcore gamer since I was eight. Over the last 15 years, I have been off and on, back and forth, pc and console gaming. I do have every North American system since the atari 2600 that has come out. Almost all my games are in cherry condition and I do treasure them. I have sold, bought, sold, bought, sold, bought many times. Sometimes, I make money and sometimes I lose money. I got into computer's from a hardware, gaming, building, fixing, etc point of view starting in 1995. Maybe I am screwed in the head or something but I can't dedicate myself to both, not at all. I am either in 110 percent with console gaming and collecting and zero with pc, or the other way around. It drives my wife crazy. The thing that bother's me is when I am out of pc gaming, I seem to not have an interest in the pc community at all. I have skills with pc's that can help people{ family, friends, etc}. I just wanted to know if you guy's have any info or opinion's on this and what would you do.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my opinion, PC gaming is for multiplayer and more independent stuff. Consoles are where you'll find more polished experiences and consistent quality.

If you're a collector first, PC gaming isn't going to be a very worthwhile front unless you're into specific developers or have some kind of scope. If you're an enthusiast, however, PC gaming is more interesting than console gaming. PC gaming is going to switch to digital sales before console gaming, so keep that in mind.

If you want to dedicate yourself to PC gaming, I suggest getting into the modding culture. Learn UDK or Hammer so you can make maps and content. Half the fun of PC gaming is the openness of it all, and the freedom to create what you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought pandora's tower from europe and am emulating it in 1080p using a wii remote on my PC.

again, how exactly can you not have the best of both worlds exactly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Before the newer flatscreen TVs, there was more of a distinction between consoles and PCs. Now a TV is basically a large PC monitor and PC gaming is much more like a console. You can even hook everything to one TV. I don't see any reason you couldn't dedicate a PC for gaming and consider it as one of your consoles.
    WANT LIST:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...older=Wishlist

ALSO WANTED: Dreamcast Sports Edition empty box

FOR SALE/TRADE:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...r+Sale%2FTrade

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxstnj View Post
    Before the newer flatscreen TVs, there was more of a distinction between consoles and PCs. Now a TV is basically a large PC monitor and PC gaming is much more like a console. You can even hook everything to one TV. I don't see any reason you couldn't dedicate a PC for gaming and consider it as one of your consoles.
    This.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I just think of my computers as other gaming systems even thought they're not connected to my PC. Then again, I suppose things are a bit different for me. I'm not huge on newer games. Most of my collecting is older games even thought I do get some new games from time to time. Also, I tend to bounce around with my hobbies, and I have a lot of them. It keeps me from getting burnt out on any one hobby.

I just can't imagine choosing between my consoles and my computers.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

I have my Desktop hooked up to my 55" Samsung Television. I have a GTX 580 graphics card connected via HDMI, and a sound card with Optical Audio out connected to the Samsung Soundbar that I bought. The thing does not have a single issue, and playing games like Battlefield 3 on a 55" television at 60 FPS, WITH 16x Anti-aliasing is absolutely amazing.

It has also given me the ability to play retro console games out in the living room with the graphics smoothed up a bit. I bought a USB to SNES and USB to n64 adapter for my PC.

Last night I even played a little EverQuest on the thing, its absolutely awesome

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    lakerstowin

I appreciate the responses guys. The problem is I have tried to do both and I always neglect one or the other. For some reason I can't just have both things at once. So based on what you know of my situation, what would you do besides seeking a shrink

If I do decide to sell my collection again, it would be on here first of course!
    Last edited by lakerstowin; 04-16-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want to stop purging your collection, Steam would help you break that habit.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    lakerstowin

Okay, then the majority here is to leave console gaming and collecting and get back into full pc gaming, hardware, industry, etc? I just want to know, because either way I go, it's the last time. I hope...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Do whatever will make your wife the least unhappy.

If you're in this to play games, then play games. You talk about computers from "a hardware, gaming, building, fixing, etc point of view", which really doesn't sound much like playing games at all. If you are unable to pull yourself away from hardware/building/fixing etc and you want to play games then perhaps you shouldn't bother. (And never mind your l33t h4x0r sk1llz. Being dragooned into providing tech support for friends and family can end badly.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    lakerstowin

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Do whatever will make your wife the least unhappy.

If you're in this to play games, then play games. You talk about computers from "a hardware, gaming, building, fixing, etc point of view", which really doesn't sound much like playing games at all. If you are unable to pull yourself away from hardware/building/fixing etc and you want to play games then perhaps you shouldn't bother. (And never mind your l33t h4x0r sk1llz. Being dragooned into providing tech support for friends and family can end badly.)
    That link is funny as heck. I am into playing games, but I also love computers, especially the technology side of it. I just always give 110 percent to either one. If I am into computer's all way, I don't even have an interest in the console stuff. Sits here in boxes and looking nice on shelves. I mean I have been back and forth so much I have a TON of games on steam.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am both a PC gamer and a classic console gamer/collector. I don't find it hard to go between. I don't play many PC games anymore as all my favorite genres have seemed to of fallen to the wayside..such as point and click adventures. But I do play all of Blizzards games including World of Warcraft and other MMO's. I don't find it a problem...PC gaming is just another platform that allows more customization and can be upgraded. I guess I can't wrap my head around it being a problem that your either or? So be it some people stick to one or the other..but thats generally because they can't get into one of the other forms.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    I am both a PC gamer and a classic console gamer/collector. I don't find it hard to go between. I don't play many PC games anymore as all my favorite genres have seemed to of fallen to the wayside..such as point and click adventures. But I do play all of Blizzards games including World of Warcraft and other MMO's. I don't find it a problem...PC gaming is just another platform that allows more customization and can be upgraded. I guess I can't wrap my head around it being a problem that your either or? So be it some people stick to one or the other..but thats generally because they can't get into one of the other forms.
    I'm pretty similar except for the MMO part. My previous game was Batman AA on the PS3, and now I'm playing Mass Effect on PC. Part of my switching back and forth is influenced by the modern-ness of my PC. I upgraded the video card recently, so I feel like I can play more recent games on it now. But that's only part of it, because I have such a huge backlog of Steam and console games that I usually have no need to play the most recent stuff until my hardware catches up and/or it is a lot cheaper to get the games.

It sounds like the problem is your physical collection taking up space. Maybe you just need to pare down your console systems and games to ones you actually play regularly (when you are in a console mood/phase), rather than giving them up entirely for PC gaming. That way after a phase of PC gaming you can still go back to consoles without the burden of them sitting there idle and taking up space. And I really don't see how it is possible to give up the PC gaming possibility. You are still going to have a PC no matter what, I'd assume. And if you like to tinker with PCs, well, they don't really take up that much space comparitively unless you get really nutso. It has been enough for me to just build a new PC every 5-7 years when needed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    lakerstowin

All good point's. Thanks guys.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Someone's up to something, aren't they?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this thread was dumb anyway
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    lakerstowin

I admitted to everything I did and explained in detail to why that happened. Tom got his money back and I am paying paypal and american express back the money in payments. I have never cheated or done anything wrong on this forum, I have good feedback as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

It wouldn't seem so fishy, had you not wrote the exact same stuff on several different sites.

Especially this!

If I do decide to sell my collection again, it would be on here first of course!
    Obviously, this would be a lie, since you've posted it on several sites.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 04-17-2012 at 11:16 PM.