Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Need some Contra opinions

So now I'm looking to get into this series. The only game I actually own is Contra: Hard Corps and the phrase "work of art" barely begins to describe it.

Things I want to know though, are:

1. How good are the arcade emulations on the "Konami Classics" for X-Box 360? What's better, those compilations, or importing the Oretachi Contra disk for PS2?

2. I know Legacy of War is considered bad but I wanna play it anyway. Are there any notable differences between the PS1 and Saturn versions?

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The emulations are good, but the arcade Contra games just plain suck, to be honest. The control is extremely sluggish. Stick with the NES versions. Operation C for Gameboy is pretty decent too.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Stringfellow78

Contra 3 on snes is awesome too. There is also Super C on the nes and Contra shattered soldier on the PS2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The arcade Contra games are irritating with your full-body flips whenever you hit the jump button. Actually, a rotating flapjack would better describe it. Also, the arcade Super C has limited continues, at least on MAME. I don't know how the Xbox 360 version addresses that. Stick to the NES versions.

In my Contra-lovin' opinion, the PS2 game Shattered Soldier is the best Contra game ever! It's f'n hard, but it has fantastic level design, creepy bosses and multiple endings. It's also a game that rewards those who learn its mechanics. In fact, you won't even see the last couple of stages if you play lousy in the first few levels.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed Brother View Post
    Also, the arcade Super C has limited continues, at least on MAME.
    For some reason a lot of Konami arcade games do that, including Haunted Castle and both the Contras.

I played them on MAME and personally enjoy them, but I haven't played the NES ones in years so I don't know how they measure up.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I DO love the NES version of Contra, I've got lots of love for the arcade version of the game.

I know that's not a popular position, but I put plenty of time in to that game in arcades prior to ever playing the NES version so I prefer it.

The 360 ports of Contra and Super C are very good IMO and don't suffer from any slowdown. I believe that the limited continues are in place in both games.

As stated above Operation C on Gameboy is awesome too.

There's even a colorized version of it on a 4-game collection that Konami made available in Japan and Europe.

Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-20-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed Brother View Post
    Also, the arcade Super C has limited continues, at least on MAME. I don't know how the Xbox 360 version addresses that.
    I think you can use the Konami code for inifinite lives but you're stuck with a rapid machine gun throughout and no achievements while using the code.

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Not really. The PS1 version sucked. The other PS1 Contra game(C: The Contra Adventure) also got pretty low reviews but I felt it much better accomplished being a Contra game than LOW.
    I've played the Saturn LOW but not the PSX version. It's 3D gimmick was having to wear those 3D color lenses so the game would pop out from your tv screen, which I've never tried. Otherwise the game is a sorta like an angled overhead/topdown view with a loose, floaty feel to it. The last stage is notable in that it is on a 3D world, kinda. The whole fight takes place on a small moon or asteroid and you just run all over it, and it'll spin around, almost like the world of The Little Prince except instead of scrubbing volcanoes you're trying to kill the alien that pops out of them.

C:The Contra Adventure wasn't much better, especially since it was only single player if memory serves. The only good parts were the three stages that most resembled 2D, which got worse as it went along. The first stage was a 2.5D stage and was decent. Then the game goes into some terrible 3D mode for about the rest of the game, except for a weightless 2D boss stage and the very last stage. The weightless stage had good music. The final stage was an uninspired 2D level.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

If you like the overhead shooting levels of Super C, Neo Contra (PS2) is a pretty decent game. It's not great, but it's still pretty fun to play.