Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game console you wanted but never got originally?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Game console you wanted but never got originally?

I want to know, what video game console did you want back in the day, or to be more clear, when it was released and commercially available at retail but you never got? Maybe you have it now, maybe you got it years later or maybe you never did get it, whatever your story please share and let us all know about the one video game console you wanted originally but never got?
    As always leave a comment or EVEN BETTER do a video response (on Youtube obviously) and tell your story or maybe even show us the actual console if you have it today! Please LIKE this video and share it and spread the word!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always wanted a TurboGrafx-16, especially after getting the Internet in the mid-90s and learning about all the Japanese games that never made it here. I still haven't gotten one because they tend to be expensive and I can never decide whether I want a U.S. version and get a converter, a Japanese Duo, or what.

Now I've bought a lot of the titles I wanted off PSN (Japanese), and have kind of cheated over the years with emulation and seeing videos, so I feel like I've already explored the system's library without ever actually having owned one of the systems.
    Last edited by stalepie; 04-21-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Sega CD. I also didn't get my PS1 until 2001, but there were still games around for it in stores. I probably won't get any current gen stuff until after market as well. But that's more of me being totally content with retro gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Pioneer Laseractive i thought it was cool that it could play LD,Genesis and TG16 games at the time.Still it's price was out of my range.I can say the same for the neo-geo aes but in the end i got a neo-geo mvs,back in 06.

By the way osg funny you mention the sms i to wanted one in it's day.Around the time i just had a nes in the 80's,now i did have friends that had the sms.Any time i got to play phantasy star,wounderboy and choplifter at a friends house made me want it badly.Now onto the present a "few years ago" i did get a sms from ebay and a bunch of games for it.At this point i had a famicom to but when i played both.I just didn't enjoy playing the sms at all by this point.So afther a year or so i sold the sms to a member here.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 04-21-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Tie between:

Wonderswan Color. Game selection looks great.

and

Virtual Boy. I don't know, I thought this thing was awesome. VB Wario Land is something to behold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess the only thing that came close was the Virtual Boy, I wanted to get one when they were on clearance for $30 but my 12 year old self was about $10 short. While I wasn't below begging my mom for a new game I don't remember thinking it was worth bothering at that time.

I can't think of any others that I really wanted but didn't get, but I was a sheltered Nintendo head who went NES > SNES > N64 and then hopped over into the PlayStation camp when the N64 failed to deliver RPGs. Got a Game Boy, sold it less than a year later, same general thing with the Game Gear a few years later. I don't remember seeing the TG-16 at all in stores, and while I played the Genesis at the video game counter in Sears every time we went I don't remember really wanting one.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    The Sega CD.
    funny you say that. My little brother wanted a sega saturn back when they were the it item to have. and he got a Sega CD. ehh whatever i guess haha

Lets see i wanted a PS1 originally but i got a N64 instead... I am kinda glad i got the n64 too.. For some reason i feel it made me appreciate games more. On the PS1 they pump out a hit every once in awhile and then a bunch of 3rd party garbage that somebody spewed up within a weeks time or so. while N64 they aimed to try to make everything a hit game. But yea thats what went on there.

I originally wanted a Dreamcast but i got the xbox instead (which i asked for right around when it came out and saw the Dreamcast starting to decline badly).

Worst case of i wanted but never got originally is a Sega Genesis or SNES.... i wanted it badly... instead i got a used NES from a yard sale (but hey it made me understand the wonders of the classics so i am still grateful for getting that!).

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to stare down the NeoGeo display ever time I went into Media Play ...still one of the few systems I'm yet to own...one day NeoGeo...one day ::shakes fist::
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Home console: The original PlayStation. Our household opted for the Nintendo 64, and while I was satisfied with it, there were a number of PS1 exclusives that struck my interest. There was a point where I could have got one as a birthday gift, but by that time, the PS2's launch was around the corner and I decided to wait for that and its backwards compatibility. I eventually acquired a original PS1 for $4.99 at a Goodwill, and last year, I bought a PSOne with the official LCD screen for $35 at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

Portable: Game Boy. My mom wouldn't buy me one because she didn't like the screen. She did get me a Game Gear, though, and I was pretty satisfied with that. To this day, I still don't own an original Game Boy (although I do have two Game Boy Colors - which were also $4.99 Goodwill finds), and didn't start collecting original GB games until I acquired my first Game Boy Advance in 2004.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Practically all of them. I remember making a "letter to Santa" where I asked for every game console that I saw listed in the Sears catalogue.

But the biggest ones had to be the Sega CD and the TurboGrafx, both of which I have now (two different versions of the latter, in fact, so you could say I overcompensated), followed closely by the Game Gear (had, then sold to pay some bills).

Saturn and Dreamcast are distant 3rds.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was apparently one of the few kids who had both the Genesis and the SNES (and a Pico too!). But after that, I never got anymore SEGA consoles. I always wanted them, though. My cousin had a Game Gear, a Saturn, and a Dreamcast. I think I wanted the Dreamcast the most for obvious reasons, especially since I was older when it came out. I still don't have any of them yet, but I'd like to get more SEGA consoles someday. I love their sleek design, and in the case of the Dreamcast I'm really eager to try some of the newer indie shmups on it.

Ironically being a clone console nerd, I did get a GenMobile last year just for the fun of it, and now I find myself impressed with the many third-party variations of the Genesis and would like to get more. I know I'm not supposed to like them, but they just look so cool.

EDIT: I guess it's also worth mentioning, my first handheld was the DS, but I always had an interest in the original GBA and the earlier GameBoy models. I feel kind of guilty for basically pirating all the games I wanted for the GBA (some of them I downloaded when the games were new). To this day I don't actually own any of those games, but I might see if I can pick them up someday.
    Last edited by Dr. BaconStein; 04-21-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Razo00

The only one I always wanted back in the days was the Neo Geo. I remember as a kid dreaming about it. There was one Japanese family living in my neighborhood and I remember the oldest son bragging to my older brother on how badass it was. Only got a taste of the Neo Geo at a local arcade playing SamSho2, Super Sidekicks, and Sengoku. 20+ years later I got about 50 Mvs Carts, 20 Aes Carts, Aes Consoles, CMVS, and a Mvu Candy Cab. Suck IT! I always wanted a super famicom and famicom, but with cart converters out there, I just don't see the need for owning the systems. Every other system I wanted I already owned and either sold or kept. The only systems I could I see not ever letting go of is the Neo, Genny, and Snes. Maybe the Nes also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I remember seeing an article in Electronic Games & Computer Entertainment magazine, about the Vectrex. I've never seen one personnally, but I did see an old Star Trek Game laying in the bargain aisle at Toys R' Us. I'd still like to get one, but I can't see myself spending that kind of cash. The same with the Neo Geo, far too much money for a system I can play through emulation and compilation discs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Thanks!

Much appreciated all these great replies, stories and comments! Great stuff guys thanks!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stalepie View Post
    I always wanted a TurboGrafx-16, especially after getting the Internet in the mid-90s and learning about all the Japanese games that never made it here. I still haven't gotten one because they tend to be expensive and I can never decide whether I want a U.S. version and get a converter, a Japanese Duo, or what.

Now I've bought a lot of the titles I wanted off PSN (Japanese), and have kind of cheated over the years with emulation and seeing videos, so I feel like I've already explored the system's library without ever actually having owned one of the systems.
    What's funny is all I wanted for Christmas was an NES but I got the TurboGrafx-16 instead. As the time I was pissed, but I grew to love that console. If you were to get one, I would recommend a PC-Engine Duo-R or RX with a converter for the hucards. The CD Games will work regardless.

As for the console I wanted BADLY, but never got when it was available? There's a few of em, but I think that award goes to either the Turbo Duo, or the original TurboGrafx CD add-on. I didn't get either one of those consoles until I was a married adult with a big-boy job.
    Dig it old-school?
    Visit http://www.retronick.com
    or follow me on twitter: @Retron8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

For me it was the NeoGeo which i got years later...i just remember wanting one so bad back when it came out...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

All I wanted for Christmas 1995 and 1996 was a Sega Saturn. I had a chance to get one for my birthday in 1997, but decided on a PlayStation, then changed my mind again got a Nintendo 64. I didn't get my Saturn until Sunday, August 18, 2000.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    Much appreciated all these great replies, stories and comments! Great stuff guys thanks!
    You're welcome by the way i keep thinking i may get a snes again. I miss owning one and with flash cartridge such as the,super everdrive i was thinking why not.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Genjackson's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

I wanted a PSP when it came out, but like every other system, I waited until I got one for next to nothing like 3 years later.

"If I cannot swear in heaven, I won't go there." Mark Twain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Not so much a console but in the 80s I'd always craved either an Amiga or an Atari ST. Both looked amazing at the time but were both also amazingly expensive, especially as my mum insisted on buying everything from mail-order catalogues that had a stupid mark-up over retail stores (that trend didn't end until I got my Dreamcast in 1999). The one console I always wanted but never got would probably be the Playstation 2 I asked for for Christmas 2001. This denial only lasted for about a week though as by then I was 18, working full-time and simply went out and bought one anyway.