Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Playstation All Stars Battle Royale

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It was added the same day the beta was added for the Vita version, so a week ago.
    SONAMAGUN! How did I miss that? I thought it was a Vita-only beta.

Off to download and enjoy on the big screen....

*EDIT*

YES, MUCH better on the big screen! Day 1 purchase!
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-23-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

The swag looking opening sequence, reminds me of Street Fighter 4's opening and original theme song.

Also, they dusted off POLYGON MAN to star as the final boss!

"And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Kat from Gravity Rush and Emmett whoever from Starhawk are the first announced DLC. Will be released sometime in early 2013. Free if you download during the first two weeks.

Also. Only posting this since my name got publicly announced because of my mad Parappa skillz.

As the full game is being released in just a few days, I wanted to use this opportunity to shout-out the top 5 PSN PASBR beta players (in order):

XxSPADEZxX
    PerfectCell21
    orpheus_telos61
    Deadpoolite
    NeithZanar

I personally sent them messages on PSN (name: Strider_Doom) to reward them with a SuperBot gift, but only one responded! If you know any of these beta monsters, tell them to check their PSN messages to claim their prize.

Also, a few weeks ago we had an event where I played the beta online and recorded the matches of me losing for our YouTube page. Unfortunately, there was a technical glitch and that footage was unusable. My record that night was 10-2 FFA and doubles was 6-0 (I had Ed and Maj on my team!). The two players that beat me were kupomogli, who had a really impressive PaRappa, and xTatsumaki, who won with Kratos. We'll be doing these more in the future, and we've already made sure that glitch won't happen again. Sorry about that.

Who's hype for next week!?

Clock

http://community.us.playstation.com/...3841#U38813841
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

So I've put a bit of time into Playstation All Stars. As everyone here already knows, the game has a lot of fan favorite characters, and has 12 normal stages plus six training stages, three plain flat stages small medium and large, and a the other three like it could have potentially been another stage but in the training stage background.

At first, I was disappointed with their choices of third party characters, and I still am somewhat, but Big Daddy, a character I expressed disgust for being in the game since it was exclusive on the 360 for a year before, is actually a great addition to the game for the reason that they did so well to create a unique character based off of him. He's slow, but he's got a lot of armor so it might take a couple attacks before he actually gets stunned. Like every other character he also has a completely unique skillset.

For those who have only experienced Super Smash Bros, and not bashing the game for this, but you have no more than four special attacks and everything else is either your four attacks on ground or air, and your three smash attacks on the ground. Every character isn't really the same as they have speed differences and obviously different attacks, but all characters are "similar." On Playstation All Stars, each character in the game is very different in control, even the combo oriented characters. Not just their move set, but the same as Smash Bros, their AP gain from their attacks, speed, extra armor like Big Daddy or Sir Dan(but only on certain situations with Sir Dan.)

Now since the basic style of the game is similar to Smash Bros, here's a comparison. Smash Bros Brawl has an adventure mode. This has an arcade mode with a mini story with each character. Playstation All Stars also features a list of trials, but unlike most fighting games that have a feature like this, this game doesn't assume you're already professional and could go from a jump kick, high medium punch, low weak punch, low high punch, hold L/R to interupt immediately after the attack connects for an unblockable, tap forward forward to cancel, random special attack, random super attack. On the trials of Playstation All Stars, you'll need to do stuff like land a certain amount of supers with infinte supers, earn AP to gain supers with one set of attacks(square, triangle, or o, and of course, use each attack in an amount to . Basically stuff that in a way is teaching you how to get used to each character. There's also more advanced trials as well like ones where only combos gain AP, etc, and in all of them you're given a certain time limit. Multiplayer is the exact same, where you can choose stock or timed, but this also has reverse stock, so whoever or whichever team reaches a certain amount of kills first. There's slight customizability to your characters, as you can put your characters in different costumes and alter between four color schemes for each costume, choose one of four opening scenes after you level enough to acquire them all, choose one of four taunts, and choose one of four win scenes. There's also a Call of Duty like card thing where you choose the background and icon, and then you can choose one of two different labels, one for free for all and one for 2v2, but instead of being like Call of Duty where you get them for killing someone a certain way, you have to win a certain belt before the tournament has ended. So getting black belt during nine tournaments will get you every single label(black belt takes quit a few wins, where every second third or fourth place will count as a loss.)

Now it's not perfect. You kill only with specials, and while the system is great, the problem with it is how cheap level one attacks are and not every character has a confirmed level one. While the game is "somewhat" well balanced to the point where you can get good with most characters and do just as good as any other character, the two characters that are easily the worst of the bunch are Dante and Toro. Toro might be good in any situation with his transformations, but he's more like a jack of all trades kind of characters. Dante has very poor AP gain unless you get someone in a full combo, which is more difficult with this characters play style using his handgun as cancels to link into other attacks, and when this character does attack, he doesn't have very good range and a massive recovery if he misses. These two characters have something else in common though, you can't guarantee a level one attack from a combo, which makes them even worse off.

The other thing is when both you and your opponent are good players in a 1v1. Like Smash Bros, battles turn into fishing the same few attacks with blocks and evades until one connects and then you can combo your opponent, then if you get a level one, you're usually alternating for AP gain or fishing for the attack that will get you a confirmed level one l, level two, or level three kill(s.) Five stock 1v1 can sometimes take between 10-30 minutes to finish.

Overall, the game is very good. If you're interested in fighting games at all, even if it's interest in Smash Bros clones, then it's worth getting.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Played some multiplayer matches at NAVA and picked up my copy today.

Even if people want to hate on it for being a Smash Bros. style game, it's got a shit ton of polish and I get the feeling that a tremendous amount of thought and play testing went into it.

I'm pretty sure that even the characters that seem unbalanced/broken will be fixed with future updates and ones that don't seem to be top tier will be mastered by dedicated players and be shown to be formidable in practice.

I totally love it, it's just good fun for people who want a Smash-type game on PS3.

With the free cross-buy this is a super value for PS3 and Vita owners.