Thread: Ebay Prices For (S)NES Increasing Over Past Year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Ebay Prices For (S)NES Increasing Over Past Year

Only about a year ago, you could easily find a CIB SNES Zelda for not much more than $10 plus shipping. Now they're regularly going for $30 or more. It seems like prices are going up a lot over the last year for many (S)NES games. And it looks like most of Pokemon game prices have about doubled over the past year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think there are any Pokemon games for SNES, but yes the prices for it have been exploding right now. If you've got a copy of Earthbound to unload you'll definitely get some money out of it.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Don't know about CIB SNES Zelda being worth $10 a year ago, I could get $20 for a loose cart going back several years.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Pokemon prices are crazy... even for the 1st and 2nd generation games. Make me wish I'd fished out a bunch of sealed copies of Pokemon Crystal back when my Wal-Mart had them in the $15 bargain bin.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sold a loose copy of snes Zelda a little more than a year ago on eBay for $10 plus shipping. CIB was selling for more than $10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was watching the CIB SNES Zelda prices closely the last summer because I wanted to buy a copy (and still looking for one), and several of them were selling for about $10 plus shipping (looking at completed auctions). I missed out because my $20 snipes were outbid (not for these same auctions). A lot of NES prices, such as for CIB Koei strategy games, are going up a lot too, but I bought my Koei collection a couple years ago. I sold a Fire & Ice for about $40 several months ago, and now it's selling for nearly $100. And price for loose Final Fantasy and Bubble Bobble 1 is not as cheap as a year ago. SNES Breath of Fire and Lufusia are getting crazy for even cart only.
    Last edited by Casati; 05-12-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The popular/in-demand games are going up in price, but the common games are all becoming cheaper. It used to be easy to sell off extra commons for $5 each, now they're worth around $2-$3 each. I avoid buying them now because they're practically worthless. Since most of the games for the NES and SNES systems are common, I feel the prices are going down. People just tend to focus on the good games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, you do have to practically give away common games like Tetris as of late, but some games are transitioning to uncommon due to increased demand such as Super C and Journey to Silius. I type the low price when I add to my Amazon wishlist, and many of the SNES games are no longer available for cheap, according to what I typed a year ago, even relatively obscure shooters. I'd say it's worse for SNES than NES and Genesis, and most N64 cart only is still cheap.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can corroborate that Casati. I am going for a complete NTSC Cart-only collection for the SNES and I am only 3 games away. However, considering that this has been a decade long search, I have been making price lists for the games I still need for a long time. Even though I have most of the games now, it is funny to go through my lists from two or so years back and see how the prices on pretty much everything have skyrocketed. Sure, maybe the common stuff has stayed about the same, but that still leaves nearly 200 games that are exploding in price.

Basically I would write down what I could buy a loose game for at its absolute cheapest on eBay. If I was in the wild and saw it for cheaper, I would buy it. Looking back a year or two, I could get a Demon's Crest for $12, now it is more like $35. Harvest Moon I have listed for $48, now it is more like $100. Ghoul Patrol was like $15, now it is $25. Hagane is a game I still need. I should have picked it up like two years ago when it was only $60-$70, now it goes for sometimes more than $120 loose. Other non "uber rare" games have gone up too. Sure, a simple game like Brandish might have been only $5 two years ago and now it is over $10. That doesn't seem like a lot, but it did DOUBLE in price, and that is significant. As I look at this list of like 50 games, I can't like a single one for the price listen two years ago. All of them have gone up by about 20%, even the super common ones I was missing. The rare/high demand games have gone up even more.
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    Pokemon prices are crazy... even for the 1st and 2nd generation games. Make me wish I'd fished out a bunch of sealed copies of Pokemon Crystal back when my Wal-Mart had them in the $15 bargain bin.
    I actually did pick them up, bought each individually, and have kept the original sales receipts for each copy so I can verify single-owner/factory sealed. This was 9-10 years ago I think. I thought I'd wait until the 6th grader of 2002 was just getting out of college and into the workforce with money to blow. Is it time, or do I wait a couple more years? I bought up Zeldas for Gameboy as well.
    Completed 60+ trades here on digital press.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm still waiting for Earthbound to show up in the wild, then Bam