Thread: Street Fighter Alpha 1 Arcade :)

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

comments!? about my videos or the game? i think its one of the best fighting games ever. I know people tend to like Alpha 2 and 3 more but I like the original for its simpleness, kind of like how my favorite SFII version is the original or champion edition and not turbo or super.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

It was interesting what Capcom did in that era with their follow-ups to the Street Fighter II family of games.

Both the first iterations of Alpha and III were like "beta" versions of each game, introducing players the new systems and art style and giving them just enough character selections to get comfortable for what was to come.

Ultimately I prefer Both of the final games in those respective series, but if I'm forced to play the first game in either series I'm capable of enjoying them just fine.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I guess I am just a sucker for originals :P Sequels tend to lose their appeal to me unless the game is entirely new and awesome.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    I guess I am just a sucker for originals :P Sequels tend to lose their appeal to me unless the game is entirely new and awesome.
    I totally share your affinity for SFII The World Warrior.

Where I think that Alpha and III evolved with the proper amount of changes that benefitted the player, I think SFII just got wacky and messy by its last of many updates.

When I have a choice of that series I play straight up original Street Fighter II The World Warrior.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I totally share your affinity for SFII The World Warrior.

Where I think that Alpha and III evolved with the proper amount of changes that benefitted the player, I think SFII just got wacky and messy by its last of many updates.

When I have a choice of that series I play straight up original Street Fighter II The World Warrior.
    Ya SFII WW and CE are my favs Im sure I would love alpha 2 and 3 but just never really played them much. Reason being I sold my playstation in 1996 before alpha 2 came out and got an N64. In the arcades, I never even played Alpha 1 and only watched my friends play 2 and 3 a few times. But loved SFII WW and CE in arcades and CE on Genesis especially as a kid. Gotta say my fav SF game though is Alpha 1 on Arcade PS1 or Saturn. Guess maybe I should get into alpha 2 and 3. Even SFIII I havent even played I think. Maybe once or twice :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Massive love here for the alpha series, alpha 3 might be the game I have put more time into then any other. As for SFII I pretty much enjoyed all its versions and updates but after SFII Turbo/hyper and the new challengers the games AI got pretty unbalanced, Im not the best SF player ever but im not hopeless and the AI kicks my ass in SSFII Turbo to the point I cant enjoy it, Alpha 3 and Third Strike are great though.

But Alpha 1, 2 or 3 are perfectly playable and fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use to avidly play the original Alpha. I had stopped playing video games for a while before I discovered that Street Fighter was properly resurrected at last (like so many, I felt that the seemingly endless revisions of the original SF II were both shameless and increasingly irrelevant). Street Fighter was back.

There was a Wal-Mart that had the Street Fighter Aplha arcade cabinet, and I made frequent trips to devoutly offer it my quarters. Street Fighter II was one of my favorite games of all-time, and Alpha took the series beyond anything I could have ever hoped for with its new memorable character- can't say the same for the majority of III's cast- revamped look, and reworked controls and moves. The game was and is a masterpiece. I never lost a match to another person on that machine, and I beat the game repeatedly with different characters (mostly Ken and Ryu, but I took others for an occasional spin too) hardly spending more than a quarter to watch the respective endings.

There was a pizza place called The Loop that I worked at that was right next to the Wal-Mart with Alpha. I'd play Alpha before, after, and sometimes during work if I went on a cigarette run for the boss. That machine weaved so much magic into 1998. If there was an arcade game I became better friends with, I can't recall... other than the Double Dragon at the Circle K next to my childhood home, of course. The game disappeared many years ago and, eventually, so did the Wal-Mart, but sweet memories of that Alpha cabinet still gently drift back to the shore of my conscious mind sometimes when I shop at the World Market that replaced the old Wal-Mart.

So here's to you, Street Fighter Alpha!!!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Great story treismac I always hear so many people downplaying the original Alpha in favor of Alpha 2 and 3 but I dont think that is fair because of how awesome a game Alpha 1 is Back in 1995 a lot of the gaming magazines were hyping up the playstation version and thats what got me interested in the game, dont think I ever played it in the arcade, but got it close to its release in 1995 for ps1 and it really was an amazing game back then. and still now. Game just has a great feel about it. I always find myself coming back to it. Ive been so busy I havent played any video games in months and finally decided to play some Alpha, so I recorded it. No practice and using a not so great controller with lame button layout as well! But street fighter is like riding a bike

So do you think im pretty good at the game? Surely you are better lol but I like to think im pretty good :P Always loved playing as Ryu. Do you think he is one of the stronger fighters in the game or? As can probably tell I play more old school style SFII and dont really mess with combos too much. and I use strong punch and kick almost 100% of the time lol. Is this normal? I have heard in the past Ryu is one of the toughest characters to master? not sure about this. I always thought he was the most popular character to use. In alpha Ive really only played with him and Guy maybe a little Sagat. Ken too of course. I like Ryus persona though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So do you think im pretty good at the game? Surely you are better lol but I like to think im pretty good :P
    I'd have to play you to give you a fair assessment, but it looks like you have definite skill and timing. Actual humans are such a total different animal than AI; AI is like a semiconscious practice dummy. With humans, you can get in their heads and psyche them out, which is a large part of my strategy on Street Fighter or Tekken. Making your opponent try to adapt to one tactic and then switching to another as they are reacting to your old tactic is just the most satisfyingly cruel experience in video games. An old friend of mine shattered a fighting stick of his out of frustration and despair so furiously that parts of the joystick almost hit the ceiling of our two story loft. We didn't play for a year or so after that.

Always loved playing as Ryu. Do you think he is one of the stronger fighters in the game or?
    There are in my opinion three fighters worth mastering in the Street Fighter universe: Ryu, Ken, and Akuma. Yeah, I like to learn and play around with others, but I don't concern myself with making them an extension of myself. Although I haven't played IV much, in the rest of the Street Fighters, I'd probably have to give the edge to Ryu over Ken (especially in III: Third Strike).

As can probably tell I play more old school style SFII and dont really mess with combos too much. and I use strong punch and kick almost 100% of the time lol. Is this normal?
    Throws aren't as powerful as in SFII in Alpha, plus fighters can sort of roll out of them, dramatically decreasing their damage. I use throws in Alpha, but only as part of my psychological strategy. All things being equal, if I can hit someone with a combo or power move, I go with that instead.

Strong attacks are great... providing they follow lighter attacks. There is no reason not to tack on extra damage if it is possible, and using combos allows this. Let's say that a light attack is worth 1 point, a medium is 3 points, and strong is 5 points. Landing a jumping medium, three low lights, and finally a strong is good for 11 points, whereas a solo strong crouching or jump kick is only worth 5 points. Go for the combo always, my friend. Remember: go from light to strong. You can, also, land a medium jumping attack and go into a combo too.

There are a few principles for fighting games (as well as real fighting) that are universal when applied to real human opponents. I'll tell you one basic principle, and let you look into it further on your own, if you like (Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do section on mobility on page 138 isn't a bad primer, actually): Control distance. It takes a while to get the hang of using this principle in fighting games but it is invaluable- especially against humans. Using distance and understanding the attack zone of your enemy and your character is vital.

I have heard in the past Ryu is one of the toughest characters to master? not sure about this. I always thought he was the most popular character to use. In alpha Ive really only played with him and Guy maybe a little Sagat. Ken too of course. I like Ryus persona though.
    Mmm... I've never heard that Ryu was tough to master, but then again I don't discuss SF often on forums. Well, actually, when I first started playing the game, it did take me a while to master the motions needed for fireballs, hurricane kicks, and dragon punches. That same problem applied to Ken, too, of course.

You are right about Ryu's stoic badassness equaling a great persona. I like Ken, but Ryu is the ideal warrior.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like Alpha 2 and 3 more because I'm not a fan of chain combos, but I still play Street Fighter Alpha on playstation for the awesome arranged soundtrack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm one of those Alpha 2 people, but I dunno, maybe it's all the chemtrails I inhale here in California.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Alpha I fascinated me when it came out on the arcades; the graphics, the controls, the feel were amazing.... as I saw it, it took the SF games to another level. Alpha I is the game that got me into playing with Sagat; his then-new design was SO badass - especially compared to the skinny Sagat in SFII.

My favorite is Alpha III, though, for two reasons: more players (while keeping the same feel as the first one) and Blanka, which was my favorite caracthter in SFII. Finally I could go back to kicking the ass of those fireballers who underestimated him, which as a MAJOR joy for me back in the day.

As for SFIII, I didn't play it much (mostly 3rd Strike on my friend's Dreamcast). I like to play with Sean.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987