Thread: Is my Pichu Plush Real or Fake?

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is my Pichu Plush Real or Fake?

Hi everyone,

I was cleaning out my room, and found my old Tomy 1/1 Scale Pichu plush. But I'm not sure whether it 's authentic. I bought it back in August 2000, from a kiosk in West Edmonton Mall. However, I do remember that there was some pretty sketchy merchandise at the booth as well.

When I first got it, the hang tag, was hanging around Pichu's neck with an elastic string. I've done a bit of research myself to find out what the legitimate hang tag looks like, but all I could find was an Ebay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Pok...#ht_1414wt_911

Of course, because the seller is located in China, I doubt the legitimacy of the plush. I've also discovered that this plush is designed after one of the Pichu Brothers from the Pikachu & Pichu short. There's apparently another plush in this set that looks like the other Pichu brother (the one with the tufts of hair on it's head).

I've attached some photos of my plush. Due to attachment limit, I wasn't able to include the photo of the other side of the tush tag. It reads "TOMY" and underneath "MADE IN CHINA".

Anyway, if anyone could give some insight into this matter, I would be most grateful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pichu Plush Back.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	5091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pichu Plush Front.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	5092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pichu Plush Hang Tag Back.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	5093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pichu Plush Hang Tag Front.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	5094  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pichu Plush Tush Tag Back.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	5095  

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VexingEnmity
    PSN
    VexingEnmity

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA_Queen View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was cleaning out my room, and found my old Tomy 1/1 Scale Pichu plush. But I'm not sure whether it 's authentic. I bought it back in August 2000, from a kiosk in West Edmonton Mall. However, I do remember that there was some pretty sketchy merchandise at the booth as well.

When I first got it, the hang tag, was hanging around Pichu's neck with an elastic string. I've done a bit of research myself to find out what the legitimate hang tag looks like, but all I could find was an Ebay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Pok...#ht_1414wt_911

Of course, because the seller is located in China, I doubt the legitimacy of the plush. I've also discovered that this plush is designed after one of the Pichu Brothers from the Pikachu & Pichu short. There's apparently another plush in this set that looks like the other Pichu brother (the one with the tufts of hair on it's head).

I've attached some photos of my plush. Due to attachment limit, I wasn't able to include the photo of the other side of the tush tag. It reads "TOMY" and underneath "MADE IN CHINA".

Anyway, if anyone could give some insight into this matter, I would be most grateful.
    Aren't there usually nintendo logos on licensed pokemon stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enmity View Post
    Aren't there usually nintendo logos on licensed pokemon stuff?
    Well, I know that official U.S. merchandise has the Nintendo seal of approval, or at least the early stuff did. But I'm not sure if the same is true for Japan.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The copyright information and "Safe Toy" designation (that's what the ST is for) are present, and it looks very well-made. I think it's legit.

(Warning: the info I have has been gleaned from 2 years' worth of Greg Ayres "how to spot and hopefully avoid bootleg crap" panels at OMGcon and may be incomplete.)

One of his panels is available here (the plush-relevant part is in the linky) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEbQD...791&feature=iv
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorneorune View Post
    The copyright information and "Safe Toy" designation (that's what the ST is for) are present, and it looks very well-made. I think it's legit.

(Warning: the info I have has been gleaned from 2 years' worth of Greg Ayres "how to spot and hopefully avoid bootleg crap" panels at OMGcon and may be incomplete.)
    Ah, so that's what "ST" stands for. Oh, and thanks for the link, I'll check it out when I have more time.