View Poll Results: In what year will the final US PS1 game be released ?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is the last year

11 19.64%
  • Next year, 2003 will be the last year

19 33.93%
  • Give it another couple of years 2004

9 16.07%
  • Around the time of the planned PS3 release 2005

7 12.50%
  • As long as people keep buying the game there is no end in sight 2006+

8 14.29%
  • What do I care. All I collect is NES

2 3.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When will the PSX die?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Default When will the PSX die?

Its been kickin since 1995. Thats a long time for a console to survive esp in this day and age with such competetion. Best buy still has more shelf space dedicated to the PS1 than they do for the Xbox or the Game Cube.

So when do you think the last game will finally be released for this system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Geeze do systems ever really "die" especially for denizens of this particular board?! :lol:

As far as when the store will stop selling it.. hmmm I'd say give it another 2 years.

As far as the 'last game release'. hmmm I'd say this is the last year.. for sure.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO, I think the PS1 is going to ba around until next year some time. there are still games coming out for this aging system(well nothin i want :lol: )

My PS1 is still going to be used around here for a good while now. I still love it. great games. I got my system in July of 97 and it still works perfect. No skipping, no problems. Most people dont believe me about this...but I know the secret to keeping it workin properly :lol:

In closing, the ps1 will be out for about the middle of next year sometime. remember, not everyone can afford a PS2, or Xbox, or...you know, the other one lol. :wink:
    I love the smell of spray cans in the morning

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Somebody has been stealing my thoughts. I think as far as games, this is the last year, but the system will still be sold for 2 years or so.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing is that since the games work on the new systems companys will still make game for PSX that do not need the power of the PS2 all they will do is package it like a PS2 game in a DVD case. I hope it stays around for a long time.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i bet the last game will be this year or 2003. I think the last game will be a company game(i.e. hooters for hooters road trip, or mcdonalds for some crappy ronald mcdonald game.)
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, the last game will be:

Mary Kate & Ashley: the retirement home adventure. 2056.

:wink:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

With the portability of the PS1 +screen and that fact that many of the games are cheap brand new (and compilations are being released for rock bottom prices) I can see this system lasting for a couple more years. Hell the system alone for $50 is worth it for a family who wants to get their kids a decent system with a ton of titles. There may not be a lot of games coming out for the venerable system (if any) but the sheer amount of titles will keep the system alive for some time.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, Atari 2600 was released in '77 and kept selling well into early 90's ('91 or '93?) and I wouldn't be surprised if PSX continue to sell through mid 2000. Maybe by then there'd be a PSp with build in screen like the one on VCSp site.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope it'll keep chugging along for a while yet. I'm really liking some of the "twilight" games that are coming out now - i.e. One Piece Mansion, Creatures, Pipe Dreams 3D, Sheep. They're more interesting than the largely uninteresting proliferation of FPS, RPG, sports sim and fighting games that dominated the PS1's heyday. Now that the games aren't expect to all be million-sellers, more interesting and varied stuff is slipping through the cracks. Granted, there's also a lot of outright crap getting out there too, but some things never change.

I'm enjoying the new PS1 games coming out now more than I have any batch of new titles in several years. I hope this trend continues. (Remember, some of the most interesting 2600 games were "twilight" games too. Gravitar, anyone?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see PSX games being produced for quite a few years to come...even if they are from some strange unknown game designers. The system will not be sold in stores for more than another year, but the games will still come. I know this isn't Europe, but look at the SMS over there. The last game made for the system was in 1997 I believe....and that system was released in the mid-80's!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My guess is that at least SOME companies will continue making PS1 games as long as the PS2 is still current since you can play PS1 games on it.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmmm...

i say take a look at the japanese marketplace for part of the answer. most new psx games there are budget reissues of classic psx games, with few new "A" titles. i think this is the last year for new titles here, and the last new u.s. psx game will probably drop around spring 2003. after that, sony should re-release & repackage it's greatest hits games to $9.99 and phase the system out gradually before ps3 format software is released.

there's probably about 3000 psx games (maybe more) that have been released worldwide- an impressive figure (to put it mildly). i look at the 650 or so games i have here and shake my head sometimes- i keep wanting to double what i have, but i'll need half a room just for the psx stuff! i'm just stacking games near the tv until after the walls get done- then i'm putting up shelves (sturdy ones, lol)...

the system lasted so long not because of the quality of the software, but because sony's marketing of the system succeeded beyond its wildest dreams. there are still what, 100 million psx systems in use worldwide (or some insane figure like that), and sony's not going to let those dollars go so easily. funny thing- some guy walked into the shop last sunday, looked at the game boy advance stuff, and said "damn! the game boy is turning into the playstation with all these games!" that made me laugh for a while...

the smartest thing sony did was to never enter the handheld market- nintendo would have killed them outright. but in retrospect, nintendo's strength with the game boy systems has been an achilles heel in a way, especially when you consider that some gb games were far better than n64 titles (ouch).

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the 80's, the Atari 7800 was the most-advanced system on Atari's catalog... but because it was backwards-compatible developers kept making 2600 games.

Ditto the Commodore 128. C=64 games continued to be made.

I think the same situation applies with the PS2. Its backwards compatibility allows niche companies to continue releasing budget PS1 games.
    TROY'S GAMING HISTORY
    1977- Atari 2600 (primitive)
    1985- Commodore=128 (8-bit)
    1989- Amiga 500 (16-bit)
    1991- zzzzzzzzzzz :scatter:
    2002- Playstation 2 (128-bit)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Personally, I'm looking forward to Black & White for the old PS1, and I plan to get C-12: Final Resistance (is that's what it's called?) when the price drops.
    You should visit...
    www.videogamebible.com
    ...for all your NeoClassic gaming needs!

And don't miss...
    www.geocities.com/the32xmemorial
    ...for all the goods on the crappy Sega 32x!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by theaveng
    In the 80's, the Atari 7800 was the most-advanced system on Atari's catalog... but because it was backwards-compatible developers kept making 2600 games.

I think the same situation applies with the PS2. Its backwards compatibility allows niche companies to continue releasing budget PS1 games.
    I have to agree with that. Espically since making a PSX disc is a lot cheaper than a 2600 cart, it's alomst a no brainer.

Personally I'd love to see more quirky Japanese stuff come over (Vib Ribbon, anyone?) But I know there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

well, what WOULD have been nice is if scea put as much effort into promoting net yaroze games as the japan branch did. there were a few that actually got released there that were not bad efforts at all...

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I hope PSOne fans here have been heeding my (obvious to many) advice and have been picking up these "late release" titles as they come out. You have to realize that very few people are paying attention to this system's games and the releases are in extremely low numbers. Just about everything released now will be a RARE some day.

See if I'm wrong!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default yup!

i forgot to bring that one up. a LOT of people are ignoring these budget games and some of the other recent PSX titles (sample comment: "well, if it's 10 or 20 bucks, it must not be any good, right?"). wait a year or three and try to get a copy of darkstone, the italian job, or any of the other budget games for that 10 bucks...ain't gonna happen...=^P

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are any of the "late release" games worth buying? I have Darkstone but don't recall any other games worth buying (according to reviews).
    TROY'S GAMING HISTORY
    1977- Atari 2600 (primitive)
    1985- Commodore=128 (8-bit)
    1989- Amiga 500 (16-bit)
    1991- zzzzzzzzzzz :scatter:
    2002- Playstation 2 (128-bit)