Thread: Help?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help?

I ordered a GBA flash cartridge from http://www.easybuy2000.com last Friday, and today I received the following message in my inbox...

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for placing an Order with Easybuy2000. Due to fraudulent practices on the Internet we will have to request to see some Identification:

1 copy of Your I.D with the address on it

2 Copy of two side of the Credit Card that you used to make the Order with your Name on it.

You can scan and email it to shipping@Easybuy2000.com or Fax it to 1-514-481-6062. Please make sure that your order number is included on your scanned E-mail or on your Fax.

Once we have received these documents they will be used confidentially with the utmost discretion. We appreciate your understanding on this subject matter, as we are a small Internet Company that feels the need to protect ourselves against the harsh realities of Online Retailing.

If it is possible do not call us, (only if you send your id by fax), it is easier for you and for us keep in touch by e-mail and do not forget to write your order number.

Regards"
    Doesn't this seem a little bit strange? I used my dad's credit card, and specified the item to be shipped under my name. Is this a scam of some sort? Perhaps I'm just a little jumpy on the subject. Any replies are appreciated. Thanks!
    yep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno, sounds real seedy to me. I don't understand the point of emailing them a scan of the credit card/ID. How is that going to prove to them that it isn't stolen? Just stating the expiration date on the card is usually good enough for any other online retailer. And the whole "do not call us" makes me even more skeptical of this place.

EDIT: ohhh, credit card AND id scan (thought it was just one or the other). Makes sense now but still....

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man I wouldn't do this. This seems like a big scam. Especially when they say don't call us. DON'T DO IT MAN!
    My Game Collection, Doubles Are For Sale: http://www.rfgeneration.com. User name is Shaggy. I will entertain any other reasonable offer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No way...don't do it. That has to be a scam. There's ZERO need for that with modern security sites. They're obviously running a scam, as otherwise they wouldn't want the back of your card, which has a hidden security number on it that one needs to make online or phone purchases. They're trying to swipe your info.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I replied to him asking why this information was necessary when it was already given in my order.

Wish I had just ordered it from Success-compu.
    yep.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There have been email scams going around on the internet to obtain people's credit card information so if I were you I would try to directly contact them.

Don't use the number in the email either, try to find a number on their website, or even an email on their website as opposed to the one sent to you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I made post on their support forum. I knew something sounded a little fishy.
    yep.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let us now how it works out. I'm really curious.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I cancelled my order since they would not proceed without that ridiculous "verification" of identification. I highly suggest not purchasing anything from that store. Its ethics are enough to make me, and any other sane person vomit. My entire order was plagued with problems...

1. After waiting for months upon months of EasyBuy2000 changing the ETA on the flash cart, It was finally "In Stock", and I promptly placed an order.

2. It seems the company actually got tired of changing the ETA, so they listed it as "In Stock" on the item page, but put up a notice on a scrolling news bar on the main index. It was hardly visible at all, and very easy to glance over.

3. I alerted them of this problem, and told them I felt ripped off because I would have to continue waiting for an indefinite period of time to receive my flash card. The only reason why I placed an order in the first place was because they listed it as "In Stock".

4. It was at this time that I received the infamous email seen above, wanting a scan of the credit card I used, and a piece of picture ID with my address.

5. I emailed them saying I would take my business to Success-Compu unless they reconsidered. The next day they cancelled my order.

I'm not the only one to feel dissatisfied when dealing with EasyBuy. After visiting their support forums, one person posted that 15% of the mod chips he purchased through wholesale were defective.

In closing, don't deal with these jerks. It is a complete waste of your time.

I took my business to Success-Compu just like I promised, and saved $20.00 on the same item which they have in stock.

-Tom
    yep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would recommend notifying eBay of possible fraud activity.

That's identity theft just waiting to happen...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    I would recommend notifying eBay of possible fraud activity.

That's identity theft just waiting to happen...
    Uhhh, what does Ebay have to do with this?