Thread: Dragon's Lair-DVD or CD

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dragon's Lair-DVD or CD

I just saw at the Digital Leisure website that they've now come out with a CD-Rom version of the game, only $20 plus shipping. I was curious if anyone here has either copy or if someone knew if one version was better than the other. Your thoughts...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have either one, but let me tell you this: If the digital leisure DVD version of Dragons Lair is anything like the digital leisure DVD version of Time traveller (or whatever that holographic game is called), then you're better off with the 3DO version of Dragon's Lair. Or the GAME BOY COLOR version of Dragon's Lair for that matter. The pauses between actions are horrible.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have it on DVD, and have had problems, on 3 differnt computers. I could never get it to run right. I think i should just buy it for the atari jaguar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamestop was blowing out the dvd versions for $4.99 and still are if you can get em, I got DL, DL:time warp and Space ace for under 16.00 on DVD they run fine on my XP 1800+ 512meg ddr, GeForce4ti4200 128meg computer..

but I hear if your using an under 1ghz machine and an old TNT2 type video card then the games don't play right.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I can vouch for the regular old, works in any DVD player version. There is a pause using it on the PS2, but from what I understand, some players handle this better than others (with the cheap-o Apex players apparently handling it the best.) The pause is nothing that really takes away any enjoyment from the game (not to me anyway) but you do notice it's not as smooth as the arcade.

BTW, there are supposed to be new versions coming out with extra scenes and whatnot, so you might want to save your money anyway.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default CD vs. DVD

For the CD that's a bit high.

You should be able to pick up the PC CD three pack (DL, DLII, Space Ace) at your local Toys R Us for $10. Comes in a big red/orange box, can't miss it. Great bargain, never had a problem with the gameplay.

If that's not your thing, the only other choice is the 20th Anniversary Box Set on DVD. It includes cutting room floor scenes from Dragon's Lair that you can play the game with or without.

Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone tried copying the DVD video version of one of these games to a hard drive and then using a computer-based DVD video player to play it? I was just wondering if the faster access time of the hard drive would improve or eliminate the pauses, because I am thinking about picking up the Dragon's Lair and Space Ace DVDs.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't had any problems with the plain old DVD-Video version myself. Really, aside from access lag, your biggest problem there will be what kind of remote you have, and whether or not it lends itself to gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone ever sit and compare the DVD /CD versions to the emulated version with Daphne?

From what I hear, the DVD/CD versions are missing "something" and have a slightly different feel from the arcade game, but the emulated versions are perfect. But I could never verify this for myself..

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing that's cool is that I have a portable DVD player, as well as DL, SPace Ace (signed by Bluth at CGE 2001!) and Time TRaveller on DVD. THere is absolutely NO lag time when selecting moves on DL and Time TRaveller. I've slain Singe at 30,000 feet on a flight to Chicago once. Sadly, Space Ace will not work on the prtable, though it does work on my PS2 and other DVD players - with the lag, of course.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can anyone get me DL & DL2 DVDs for $4.99?

PG

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    Anyone ever sit and compare the DVD /CD versions to the emulated version with Daphne?

From what I hear, the DVD/CD versions are missing "something" and have a slightly different feel from the arcade game, but the emulated versions are perfect. But I could never verify this for myself..
    From what I understand, the DVD rom version has all the video, and decent control. Most perfectionists (the kind that normally have Mame machines to play it on) rip the video from the DVD-rom version, then emulate the boards for perfect control and tiltle screens.

Since people have gone into the DVD-video version I won't go into it more.

CD versions:
    DOS--forget it, hard to control, missing scenes (you can't fit much video on a CD with Cinepak compression)

Win 95-- better than DOS, I think it may have more scenes (uses better compression)

20th Anniversary pak is supposed to be the best version on CD, with the most scenes on CD .