There are so many games out there we couldn't possibly review them all. Welcome to Snapshot, where highlight games that might fall outside our usual coverage but are still something we think you should know about. Today: Datura for PS3.

Standing amongst fallen leaves in an unknown forest, a face stares at me from the side of a tree. It's not a real face, of course, only a mask. Expending considerable effort, I pry the mask from the tree, revealing a hollow behind it. Housed within the hollow is a small pickaxe. Upon grasping the handle, I black out.

I wake up in the middle of a frozen wasteland. Crawling along the hard surface, I clear away some snow with my forearm, exposing the ice underneath. It's not a wasteland at all; it's a lake. Beneath the ice is a golden chalice. A noise from behind prompts me to clear away more snow, exposing a horror underneath: A woman is trapped below the ice, and she's still alive.

The pickaxe still rests in my hand, so I immediately go to work, chipping away as the woman squirms against the surface. My heart pounds as the axe falls again and again, slowly cracking the ice. Finally, the ice gives way - directly beneath me - and I tumble into the chilly abyss, sinking down as I watch the light of sky recede into nothingness. Again, I awake in the forest, the mask in my hand, which I quickly discard.

This is a moment pulled directly from Datura. Did I do something wrong? Something right? I haven't got a clue.Continue reading Snapshot: Datura (PS3)
Snapshot: Datura (PS3) originally appeared on Joystiq on Thu, 17 May 2012 12:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments