Thread: Sleeping Dogs

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Sleeping Dogs

I've been interested in this game since it was True Crime Hong Kong. My most anticipated game of the year. Looks amazing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYG8moUy_rM
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-25-2012 at 04:01 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Needs more Donnie Yen

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

It looks interesting. Not motivated to buy it day-one yet as I'd like to play a demo first. I loved the TC games so I'll probably love this one too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked the live action trailer they made for this game. Since then I'll checked out some of the gameplay videos on XBL and it looks like it will be a pretty cool game. It's also worth noting that SquareEnix will now be the publisher of several games I'm interested in, although none of them have anything to do with rpg's.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

oh.
    my.
    dear.
    lordddddddddd!!!!!

sweet 9lb 3oz. baby jesus, this is the only game this year that i will be purchasing....thank you digitpress, dear god thank you!
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Sleeping Dogs officially added to the US PLUS instant game collection this week!

Only about 7 gigs too. Not too bad a file size for a full-fledged PS3 game.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...me-collection/
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Sleeping Dogs officially added to the US PLUS instant game collection this week!

Only about 7 gigs too. Not too bad a file size for a full-fledged PS3 game.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...me-collection/

Its a great game, youre going to like it, its the best thing i played last year tied with journey, great pickup for ps plus

Question about plus, are all the free games they add, only free for a limited time? Like say i signed up today, would i be ale to download every free game that was EVER added to the service? Or is it like games come and get replaced by newer games and the older ones get taken down?
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    Its a great game, youre going to like it, its the best thing i played last year tied with journey, great pickup for ps plus

Question about plus, are all the free games they add, only free for a limited time? Like say i signed up today, would i be ale to download every free game that was EVER added to the service? Or is it like games come and get replaced by newer games and the older ones get taken down?
    If you sign up today you get access to whatever is a part of the "Instant Game Collection" and any other games that are currently "free".

You don't get access to what was previously free if you sign up today. Stuff only stays free for however long Sony or the game developer determines.

HOWEVER, anything that you add to your shopping cart and "purchase" (at zero dollars) while you're a member will forever be accessible in your download list as long as you are a PLUS subscriber. Even if you let your subscription lapse and then join again a year later, the things that you have previously downloaded while a PLUS member will be available for free download.

That goes for games. Anything like avatars, themes, soundtracks, etc. that are free on PLUS you get to keep always even if your membership ends, and obviously anything that was purchased for a PLUS price discount you get to keep.

Check out what's free now:

http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus/
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 05-08-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I saw that it was free and looked up a few gameplay videos on Youtube. Doesn't seem particularly interesting, just GTA: Hong Kong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The combat is what makes this game. It's similar to the Batman Arkham games but it's more difficult to master. After you get good at it though it's amazing. Once you get end game and get all the upgrades though, combat starts to get worse because there's one move where you grab them and break their leg you'll probably use over and over because it's so op.

The storyline is pretty good and all the characters that are the main story characters are pretty likeable. The shooting aspect is alright, pretty generic, but gets the job done. The slowdown ability while shooting should have had some sort of gauge though so you couldn't use it repeatedly by vaulting over cover or off a bike, etc. Then the driving is alright as well, but only after you get used to it. The first time you get in a vehicle, you'll probably immediately lose control and run into something because the game is a little bit too arcade like, but you'll quickly get used to the driving and it's good as well.

Despite the flaws within the game, it was a great game and I'd purchase Sleeping Dogs 2 if they ever decide to turn it into a franchise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It's similar to the Batman Arkham games but it's more difficult to master.
    That's all I needed to hear to know this game isn't for me. The combat was easily my least favorite thing about the Arkham games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's similar in the way that you use triangle to counter attacks and you can't use certain types of attacks against certain enemies. It doesn't use the free flow combat system or anything like that though. Not coming back to say that it's not exactly like the Arkham games because you said you didn't like it, but maybe to clarify and give more detail on the combat system because maybe you didn't like certain aspects of the combat system and my generalization made it sound like that.

If you were to take triangle to counter attacks which is dependent on enemy position to yours, enemies completely immune or strong to certain attacks depending on their types, like a fat enemy being strong against grabs but doesn't block melee. Then slightly Yakuza like you have your attacks with finishers, but instead of hitting triangle for a finisher attack, you press square for a light attack, and you hold it for a heavy attack or a finisher. Light and heavy attacks work with grabs as well, some attacks not being able to be used until you learn it. You can also drag enemies around and environmental attacks in grabs, which are sort of like heat actions in Yakuza but instant kill attacks, whether it's throw someone in a dumpster, shove their head into an air conditioner vent, open a car door and slam their head in it repeatedly, etc, etc, etc. Combat isn't as stiff as it is in Yakuza though.

So okay, maybe it's not so difficult to master, but more difficult than the Arkham games where the combat is extremely easy. I had a lot of fun in both games though. Search some videos before you just blow the game off as not being worth it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) cholkavich's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cholkavich
    PSN
    Cholkavich

downloaded it last night with PS+ gonna give it a try tonight. stoked!