Thread: Another "mystery game" for the experts out there...

Insert Coin (Level 0) mightykendar's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Another "mystery game" for the experts out there...

Perhaps someone out there can help me solve a mystery that has been nagging at me for many years now...

When my brother and I were in late elementary or middle school ('92-'96), we acquired a computer game that I remember being very fond of. Unfortunately, as an adult, neither he nor I have never been able to remember what it was called and/or track it down. I was under the impression that it was called "Quest" -- or perhaps that was involved in the title; certainly not the obvious ones like King's Quest, Space Quest, etc. -- and I thought that we got it from the computers at our school, but I am not certain that this actually was the case.

The game was very simple, graphically -- it was an overhead view with a black background, and everything in the game (to my recollection) was constructed of ASCII characters (walls, items, etc.). Gameplay-wise, I think you had to collect items (weapon upgrades maybe, swords/daggers?) and consume food/drink, as well as fight enemies. There may have been some sort of treasure involved as well. I'm sure that sounds like a LOT of games, but this is what little of it remains in my memory.

At the time, we would have been running a PC (286, maybe?), probably with Windows 95.

In discussing it with my brother, we thought that it could have been a small/limited release by an independent or unknown programmer, which might explain why I've never been able to find it again. If anyone out there has any idea as to what this game might have been, I would be EXTREMELY appreciative, as I've been wanting to solve this "mystery" for a long time. Thank you!

EDIT: It's possible that "QUEST" may have been the name of the .exe file used to play the game, which could be why I remember that being the title.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mightykendar's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I found it!!

Prompted to try a few Google searches one last time after asking you folks...I found the game! It's CAVEQUEST, and it is exactly as I remembered it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PThBJ...feature=relmfu

Thanks for reading my question, at any rate -- sorry if I wasted anyone's time!