Thread: Games Just Like Ogre Battle

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games Just Like Ogre Battle

Are there other SRPGs that are really similar to Ogre Battle 64? Specifically, I'm looking for games where I control an army and not a few band of men like Shining Force? Fantasy setting strongly preferred.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Dragon Force on the Saturn would be your best bet. It has an over world map like Ogre Battle where you move your generals around and take castles and keeps. Each of you generals can control up to 100 soldiers at one time so when two maxed out generals are fighting you have 200 characters running around the screen fighting. Its a really good game and a shame we never saw the sequel.

Another game that you might like is Warsong (Langrisser) on the Genesis. It looks and plays like a cross between Shining Force and Advance Wars. It was a huge series in Japan, but the only english version we got was courtesy of Treco for the Genny.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

If by "just like," you mean "Sort of like," then perhaps Dragon Force... or the Langrisser series...

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd... on both counts... by a fellow Oklahoman no less...
    Last edited by SpaceFlea; 05-29-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFlea View Post
    EDIT: Damn, ninja'd... on both counts... by a fellow Oklahoman no less...
    Lol!!! Great minds think alike!

Here is a video for Dragon Force to give you an idea of what its like.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

There's really nothing like Ogre Battle.

Bahamut Lagoon is tactical like rather than strategy like and when attacking an enemy brings it up to a Final Fantasy style battle system, so in a way that's similar, but the similarities really end there. I don't think the game is any good either. Amazing graphics, just a pretty boring game.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-29-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    There's really nothing like Ogre Battle.
    That's what I'm learning. :/ Fortunately, Dragon Force looks pretty cool. Warsong doesn't look bad either. I may have to look more into the series. And is Bahamut Lagoon really that bad? I've never played it, but it did look interesting from what I saw of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Brigandine might appeal to you.

Dark Wizard is kinda like Shining Force on steroids - you wind up with an army of 40 units (all but three of these are up to you to choose from a wide variety of hired units of four races and a variety of summoned monsters) ) and fight over really large battleifelds.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Bumppo View Post
    Brigandine might appeal to you.

Dark Wizard is kinda like Shining Force on steroids - you wind up with an army of 40 units (all but three of these are up to you to choose from a wide variety of hired units of four races and a variety of summoned monsters) ) and fight over really large battleifelds.
    Brigandine and Brigandine Grand Edition are amazing, just don't play like Ogre Battle unfortunately. Dark Wizard is also a good game. I played Dark Wizard after I played Brigandine and it plays a lot like Brigandine which I really liked. My favorite Sega CD game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle 64.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle 64.
    I get the feeling you didn't actually read the OP.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Glitch695's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well it's a PC game, but... the Heroes of Might & Magic series has similar strategy points to Ogre Battle, as far as sending large numbers of creatures/ troops controlled by a single hero (or several heroes) onto the map to fight other heroes and their armies (turned based), while also gathering resources. AND, technically, there are two entries available on the Gameboy if we want to keep it console based.
    I also have to second Brigandine, although I would advise turning off the battle animations shortly into the game. Though cool at first, they are long and literally double the time it takes to play a map- imagine playing FF7 and sitting through Knights of the Round in every fight. Damn fun game though, and playing through as every character gives it tremendous replay value.
    Well Versed in the Classics Podcast - http://wellversedintheclassics.blogspot.com/
    Check us out!

07/04/11 - RIP, Frank Garrett

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Are there other SRPGs that are really similar to Ogre Battle 64?
    Well, there's the original Ogre Battle, on SNES, Saturn and Playstation. There's also an NGPC exclusive chapter called The Knight of Lodis (this was only released in Japan sadly).

I seem to recall the old DOS game War in Middle-earth being somewhat like it as well, though for awhile you only control Frodo and company.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^Don't you mean Ogre Battle Gaiden: The Prince of Zenobia? I thought Knight of Lodis was closer to Tactics Ogre than Ogre Battle/OB64, and it also had a GBA release, too. I'm also well-familiar with the original Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, although finding that on the SNES for a reasonable price has become impossible. I love it and all, but $50 for a cart is way more than I'm paying atm. I'm just lucky that I've had Ogre Battle 64 for years to enjoy. Thanks for the tip on War in Middle Earth, I'll have to seek that out. Seeing as it's an old DOS game, it shouldn't be hard to find in one form or another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    ^Don't you mean Ogre Battle Gaiden: The Prince of Zenobia?
    That's exactly what I mean, thanks for correcting me.

I'm also well-familiar with the original Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, although finding that on the SNES for a reasonable price has become impossible. I love it and all, but $50 for a cart is way more than I'm paying atm.
    The Playstation version can be had for much cheaper. Unfortunately it adds load times, but at least you get to play the game.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    The Playstation version can be had for much cheaper.
    Am I just looking in the wrong place for it? I only see one super-inflated price on eBay, although Amazon does list it for $45. And wow, I didn't realize the carts have gone up even more! I thought they were in the $50s range. I wonder if they'll ever come back down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I got a rather nice copy for only $30, this was last year. Though I did have to bargain-shop as yes it usually goes in the $40-$50 range. On the other hand, a PS1 copy is more likely to be complete as well, and personally I found the manual helpful for this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lords of the Rising Sun for TurboGrafx-CD is similar to Dragon Force and Ogre Battle. There are also a few extra styles of gameplay, which happen less often and are kind of like mini-games. When you storm a castle, you guide a samurai through a maze, Zelda style. When defending a castle or from an assassination attempt by ninjas, you play a first person perspective similar to the bonus rounds in the original Shinobi. After finishing off a general's army altogether, you chase him down on horseback, from a side scrolling perspective.

For most of the time though, you guide your generals across the map like Ogre Battle and Dragon Force and battles play out with you giving commands to groups of soldiers. I'm not a fan of war sims or sim games in general, but I love this game.