Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want a PSP, does anyone have some input on which to get?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SlowGolf2004
    PSN
    ownerizer
    Steam
    WDENNIS5280

Default I want a PSP, does anyone have some input on which to get?

I posted this in the "what's it worth" forum, but it got little response.

I've been looking on Craigslist and eBay, trying to get a general feel of what the different models of the PSP are worth. I know the PSP Go, is basically worthless, as Sony stopped supporting it, but there are so many other models of PSP, which is the most robust and what is a fair price to pay? I found a couple on CL, that I would have to drive almost an hour to, for $50 with accessories and no games, but without knowing the model number, what should I pay?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Don't get a 2000, the disc drive doors end up having a problem where it keeps asking you in the middle of the game if you want to quit or continue. It's because it thinks the drive door was opened when it wasn't. I've never had that problem with my more heavily used PSP 1000.

Also if you want video output, the 2000 only works with the component cable, while the 3000 works with both the component cable and the composite cable. So I would say 3000 for video output, 1000 for a sturdier machine with no video output.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I know the PSP Go, is basically worthless, as Sony stopped supporting it,
    Sony stopped selling it because it didn't sell well, but they didn't stop supporting it. The PSP Go will still receive the standard firmware updates and such just like any other PSP model.

Anyways. Here's a breakdown of the PSP.

PSP1000. This one I is the one I would recommend the least. While it was my first PSP and I loved the system, there's no output, which is an amazing featurue that only the 1000 doesn't have, and an odd placement for speakers. The speakers on the 1000 are on the bottom of the system. The sound quality is more drown out this way because instead of the sound going towards you, it's going towards the ground, maybe muffled by something your PSP is resting on while you play, etc.

PSP2000/3000. I think either are the best versions to get. With both systems I've never had a problem with what Rick stated, so I'll have to skip on that one. However, I have had the problem on both the 1000 and 2000(my 3000 I only use to rip games now and I play all my games on the 2000,) is that the motor eventually stopped working in the systems. Because this has happened on two different systems, I no longer play the games on disc, but rather rip them off the disc and play them through custom firmware.

So anyways. The PSP 2000/3000 both have their speakers on the front on both sides of the screen. Never have a problem with audio being muffled or anything any longer. Both also have video out, which it's far more enjoyable playing the games you love on the big screen. They'll receive a loss in quality sure, but overall will still look great. The 3000 supposedly has a more vibrant screen, but I wouldn't be able to tell you since I haven't compared it.

PSP Go. Then there's the Go. Now the Go isn't bad, but unfortunately, there are a few games that will never be available for it without assistance from custom firmware. Both Star Ocean titles, Mega Man Powered Up, Crisis Core, among a few other good ones aren't playable because they're not on the PSN and never have been.

I like the feel of L and R on the Go better than that of any other PSP, and this is one thing I'm thankful that carried over to the Vita. The buttons work all work fine. The analog works well. The only problem with the Go unfortunately is when using the L and R buttons and resting your hands on that portion to make quick use of them. The major problem with the Go is that with the screen going upwards, your fingers are pressing L and R behind the screen, so games that make a lot of use with L and R are quite annoying on the system as you don't have as much room to rest your fingers as you can never center them because of the screen. The 3DS has this same problem infact. If it's not such a bother to you on the 3DS then it should be fine with the Go if you were to purchase it.

Now here's the reason to purchase the Go though, and in one way it makes it the best PSP system. TV out on the Go is the best. Now if you purchase the component only, the Go unfortunately only has one spot for an input so you're going to have to use it for either tv out or power, so you're pretty much required to also purchase the PSP Go Cradle. So with the PSP Go Cradle, you have the Go on there, you have your power cable, and you have your tv out cable. Do you have a PS3 controller? Link your PS3 controller up with your Go and right there it's the best non portable version of the PSP. Overall the other versions are better, but if you purchase the Go with the idea of using it for tv out only, then it beats out all others in that specific aspect. Although if you don't have a PS3 controller, then forget about getting the Go for tv out as it's the worst of them in that case.

So I would say pick up a 2000 or 3000, and then if you already have a PS3 controller and some expendable cash, pick up a Go and turn it into a consolized PSP.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-10-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'd go with the 2000. Loading times and ghosting are worse on the 1000. It's a big enough difference that some games go from having practically unbearable load times on the 1000 (like PoPoLoCrois and Ys: The Ark of Napishtim) to being quite comfortable to play on the 2000. And ghosting is irritating even on the 2000, so you don't want it to be worse yet. With the 3000, for some bizarre, stupid reason, Sony gave it an interlaced screen, even though PSP games weren't designed with an interlaced screen in mind. Makes the games look like poo. I wouldn't even consider the Go, so the 2000 comes out on top for me. I do have the aforementioned problem of the tray thinking it's open, which was very worrisome at first, but I learned that if I once in a great while gently pull on the four metal prongs on the flap (with my finger or tweezers), it'll just barely bend them back in place, holding the UMD more firmly against the system, eliminating the problem until the metal prongs flatten out slightly again.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

PSP 2000

Love the system. ALso the load times are so much better

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Another vote for the 2000.

Better form factor, some improvement on load times, Skype compatible (if you're even remotely interested, but you need to buy a compatible microphone, nothing built in to the 2000) and a very good screen.

The 3000 has slightly better video output features, but I'm just not a fan of the screen technology they utilized for whatever reasons that they did that.

I also like the Go, but I'm not going to recommend it as a primary PSP unit over the 2000.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SlowGolf2004
    PSN
    ownerizer
    Steam
    WDENNIS5280

I appreciate everyone's input, and I think for all intents and purposes, the 2000 model will fit my needs the best. That being said, what is a reasonable price to pay for one?

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

One more count towards the 2000 here.

I've owned a 1000, 2000 and GO with the 2000 being my favorite pretty much because of all the reasons mentioned above.

I would however suggest you get a GO if you ever plan on picking up a Vita so you can build a PSN PSP library before hand, instead of having to double dip later down the line. The screen, buttons and compact size is all great on the GO too, really just don't think releasing a UMD less PSP was a smart decision at the time and it sold terribly because of it. The point here is that the hardware is great on the GO so I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, and with custom firmware you aren't missing much without a UMD drive.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I've only ever owned a 3000 and I have not had any problems with it. It is my most played portable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by ownerizer View Post
    I appreciate everyone's input, and I think for all intents and purposes, the 2000 model will fit my needs the best. That being said, what is a reasonable price to pay for one?
    Ideally less than $100. I'd say $75-$80 is fair, if you can get one for lower even better.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Ideally less than $100. I'd say $75-$80 is fair, if you can get one for lower even better.
    This is about right for what I see too. I picked up a 3rd PSP recently (a GO, as mentioned previously for the benefits for using it as a home version) with a fair amount of accessories for $60.

It's harder for me to find just a loose system on CL though, as most people want to bundle it with their junk games and then raise the overall price on the bundle.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Sounds like you've settled on the 2000, which is probably good. It is what I have, but I've never used the 3000. Amazon warehouse has some 3000s right now, though: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...A2L77EE7U53NWQ

Actually, now that I look they've got some 2000s too. You might look at some of the special edition ones. They've got the Jak bundle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...A2L77EE7U53NWQ

I love AWD, most stuff is just a damaged box, returns are easy if it is worse than you were expecting.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I've only used the 3000, so I can't compare with the other versions, but one thing about it that sometimes annoy me is the on-off/sleep button placement. During intense action gaming, it's happened quite often that I've accidentally put my game to sleep with the palm of my right hand, or even worse, shut down my PSP without having saved recently.

So, if that button is better placed on the other models, that may be a factor to consider as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    I've only used the 3000, so I can't compare with the other versions, but one thing about it that sometimes annoy me is the on-off/sleep button placement. During intense action gaming, it's happened quite often that I've accidentally put my game to sleep with the palm of my right hand, or even worse, shut down my PSP without having saved recently.

So, if that button is better placed on the other models, that may be a factor to consider as well.
    Nope. It's the same place on all of them, they're all subject to accidental sleep mode/power down via that action.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    This is about right for what I see too. I picked up a 3rd PSP recently (a GO, as mentioned previously for the benefits for using it as a home version) with a fair amount of accessories for $60.

It's harder for me to find just a loose system on CL though, as most people want to bundle it with their junk games and then raise the overall price on the bundle.
    You picked up a GO for $60? Damn, I envy you. I want one, but am not willing to pay over $100 for it.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    You picked up a GO for $60? Damn, I envy you. I want one, but am not willing to pay over $100 for it.
    Haha, I'd been watching Craigslist for quite awhile but I'm pretty patient. I'm in an area with a lot of military and rather than keep things long term they tend to just want to sell off stuff for cash when they're leaving or just getting back from deployment. The Go just returned from Afghanistan according to the guy I bought it from, but it's in great shape.

I can't resist a bit of bragging though
    Here was the bundle, it's a crappy picture I know:

psp go and accessories by xelement5x, on Flickr

Black PSP Go with 16GB internal memory
    Additional 2GB card
    Hard case and soft case for the unit
    Charger/USB cable
    Component cables

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I'd pick up a Go if there was a way to transfer UMDs to it.

Actually, isn't there a way? I've heard of programs that can copy UMDs to the memory and allow you to boot them from there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I'd pick up a Go if there was a way to transfer UMDs to it.

Actually, isn't there a way? I've heard of programs that can copy UMDs to the memory and allow you to boot them from there.
    A second PSP with CFW is required. Also, CFW is required on the Go to play them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Are all of the models equally moddable? Do you still need one of those Pandora batteries, or have things advanced beyond that point?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The Go and PSP3000 have the soft mods that have the official source code embedded in them so all you have to do is open the CFW, allow it to switch your firmware and then after turning your PSP off and then on, the firmware will be back to official. You can use another that will allow it to be permanent as well, and you can also remove the permanent as well, I think.