Thread: Blizzard's banhammer visiting Diablo 3 cheaters in 'near future' [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Blizzard's banhammer visiting Diablo 3 cheaters in 'near future' [Joystiq]

Have you used any "hacks, bots, or modifications in any form" that would violate Diablo 3's instinctual scroll wheel-friendly end user license agreement? Well, don't come crying to us when the company drops the banhammer.

"Playing Diablo 3 legitimately means playing with an unaltered game client," Blizzard warned today. "Suspensions and bans of players that have used or start using cheats and hacks will begin in the near future."

The permaban from Battle.net means players will not be able to access their account for Blizzard's single-player, online-required game. Perhaps Blizzard would be so kind as to allow purchase of an unbanning from the real-money auction house?Blizzard's banhammer visiting Diablo 3 cheaters in 'near future' originally appeared on Joystiq on Mon, 11 Jun 2012 16:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This coming from a company that thinks it is totally acceptable for players to Multi-Box in an MMO? F*ck Blizzard. I'll never purchase or play another game from them. Ever.

On the other hand. I say GOOD. Any person that has to cheat or run hacks that may degrade another persons gaming experience deserves to get banned. Play games the way they were made and meant to be played or don't play at all.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about people that cheat on the single-player game? Aren't they entitled to play or modify THEIR GAME the way THEY WANT TO? I mean, Nintendo took Galoob to court over this type of thing in the early 90s (source) and the Supreme Court ruled that a user had the right to modify copyrighted works for their own use. It might be possible to sue or take Blizzard to court if they ban you from the single player game if you cheat on that. The mulitplayer game is totally different, of course.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 06-12-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

This is less about this article and more about Diablo III in general but I still fail to see how people can defend Blizzards stance on this.

Even at its most basic form they could of had a single player offline mode completely independent of the online auction house system, just don't see how that would of interfered with their idea at all. It seems like it would of been simple to have a non-offline mode without streaming assets into a single player game, while having an auction house enabled online mode with both single and multi options. That way people who aren't/can't be connected online can still enjoy their game while those who want to take advantage of the auction house concept could do so while allowing Blizzard to keep control of its flow. Its just baffling some of the defenses I've seen people write of this very bullshit practice that impedes lag free single player gaming which mostly come down to "Its Blizzard!!" or "Its Diablo!!". Its really just a flaccid excuse for another form of bullshit intrusive DRM that punishes the end user and I can't support it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    What about people that cheat on the single-player game? Aren't they entitled to play or modify THEIR GAME the way THEY WANT TO? I mean, Nintendo took Galoob to court over this type of thing in the early 90s (source) and the Supreme Court ruled that a user had the right to modify copyrighted works for their own use. It might be possible to sue or take Blizzard to court if they ban you from the single player game if you cheat on that. The mulitplayer game is totally different, of course.
    The problem is that there isn't an offline single player only version of Diablo III, even if there should be.