Thread: Trying to get the best video quality with my consoles (and other problems)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I suppose. The baseline of standard console' ideal video is what its graphics chip generates. Can't get better than raw form without some kind of scaling/filtering magic or hardware upgrades. Though sometimes dithering effects are bad enough to make some blur a popularly accepted trade-off.

Unusual systems like Virtual Boy are special cases, those have effects few TVs if any will show perfect.
    Lum fan.

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thought of a 30 year old console outputing component is amusing. Still, even a video mod where you just add wires and connectors would be changing the system from it's original design. And if I mod one system for the best video then I will want to mod them all, even the rarer ones. I don't really think anyone expected the ColecoVision to be used with component. If they did then they would have included the ports on the back. Using the best unmodded video shows how the consoles would have looked like back in the day, if they had HDTV. Someday HDMI on PS3 will look terrible compared to the new stuff, but I will still use it because it is how it was meant to be played.

Sometime next-gen or the one after that they are coming out with 4320p. Imagine how PS3 will look on that! I'm just hoping that by then TVs will have CRT emulators.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by markusman64ds View Post
    The thought of a 30 year old console outputing component is amusing. Still, even a video mod where you just add wires and connectors would be changing the system from it's original design. And if I mod one system for the best video then I will want to mod them all, even the rarer ones. I don't really think anyone expected the ColecoVision to be used with component. If they did then they would have included the ports on the back. Using the best unmodded video shows how the consoles would have looked like back in the day, if they had HDTV. Someday HDMI on PS3 will look terrible compared to the new stuff, but I will still use it because it is how it was meant to be played.

Sometime next-gen or the one after that they are coming out with 4320p. Imagine how PS3 will look on that! I'm just hoping that by then TVs will have CRT emulators.
    That leads to a question of hardware designer vs game developer. Who's to say who's really correct?

In my opinion I view it from the other side. If graphics artists wanted their work to resemble composite video, they would have drawn and envisioned such.
    Lum fan.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    In my opinion I view it from the other side. If graphics artists wanted their work to resemble composite video, they would have drawn and envisioned such.
    Some did, with the Genesis some games were designed to take advantage of RF and composite video blending colours together to expand the colours capable by the system. Plus shadows and transparency effects were created in similar ways.

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyways, let's get back to the questions.

If I leave my old systems plugged into a power strip that is turned off but plugged in, will it still damage the systems?
    Is there a power strip with an on/off switch for each outlet?
    Will AV switchboxes bring down the video quality?

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by markusman64ds View Post
    Anyways, let's get back to the questions.

If I leave my old systems plugged into a power strip that is turned off but plugged in, will it still damage the systems?
    Is there a power strip with an on/off switch for each outlet?
    Will AV switchboxes bring down the video quality?
    Well if the power to the power strip is off then no power is being fed to the DC transformers so that they don't have constant wear on them.

Ask for switch boxes, if it's a powered switched box, minimal to no signal loss is introduced.

Unpowered switch boxes, most every box I've ever used, every input introduces a signal loss.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

At some point you'll have to thrown in the towel and mod some consoles for better picture. Once you can get component or RGB output then you're pretty much set for the future unless a replacement DAC is created.

The other point is that eventually RF input and composite video will likely be removed from TVs completely. I'm sure there will be signal converters but they will be god awful ugly in terms of picture quality.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?