Thread: Factory Refurbished Playstation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Factory Refurbished Playstation

Can't imagine this being worth anything but I feel compelled to ask. Basic Playstation in a factory refurb box from Sony. The box is the only unique item (Playstation is used, no unique documents included). Are there weird refurb collectors out there? Can someone let me chuck this on the box pile in the garage? Pleaaaaase?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Don't have an answer for you but man that box brings back memories of FuncoLand.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt they are worth much, NOTHING is worth much except for the first model, the VCD model and all DEVkit models.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    I doubt they are worth much, NOTHING is worth much except for the first model, the VCD model and all DEVkit models.
    Well it looks like the box says SCPH-1001 on it. It's weird, it's unique, and you don't see them too often. I wouldn't be surprised if someone would plop $40-50 on it. $30 or so as a floor imo.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I'd pay $30 for it, provided it was actually repaired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I'd pay $30 for it, provided it was actually repaired.
    I'm sure it's repaired, you just might need to put it vertical occasionally though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guess I'll take this off my porch.

Yeah, it was repaired (has a REFURBISHED sticker on the bottom). No foam inserts or anything, sadly. Guess I'll take some proper photos of this thing and get it listed, thanks all!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaruff View Post
    Well it looks like the box says SCPH-1001 on it. It's weird, it's unique, and you don't see them too often. I wouldn't be surprised if someone would plop $40-50 on it. $30 or so as a floor imo.
    There was the short period of time when people were paying crazy amounts of money for the 1001 launch model because they were purportedly better than a high end CD player and because of the built-in video out which worked with any RCA cable. I think that day has mostly passed although if it's nice and clean, you could still probably get $20-$30 for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

This. DON'T think about flipping PS1s. It'd be one epic cash sinkhole. After also hunting down cables/controllers and all that, unless included... Just no.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    This. DON'T think about flipping PS1s. It'd be one epic cash sinkhole. After also hunting down cables/controllers and all that, unless included... Just no.
    For sure, a worthless console (though PSOne's aren't as tough to move). OP was in reference to the collector-value of the refurb box.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FanOPants View Post
    For sure, a worthless console (though PSOne's aren't as tough to move). OP was in reference to the collector-value of the refurb box.
    I don't know of too many people who collect system packaging variants, most would rather have the less generic looking normal pack. It probably does tack on a premium but I can get a boxed PlayStation of most models for $10-20 on a bad day. It just isn't worth much, this one being a SCPH-1001 is probably $40-50 not because it has a box but because it is a SCPH-1001, which is in demand from audiophiles and some lightgun users who lack the SCPH-1160 adapter which is rather rare. A normal box version would easily double that.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The SCPH-1001 is still worth around $30, that's what I sold them for when I got them and they went pretty quick. The thing is they need to be working, I came across one that only worked upside down so I try to avoid them now. I think it's funny how people want them as a high end CD player, but the disc drives are complete garbage that will just die if they're used often. I used to find PS1s complete with hookups and memory cards for under $10 total at thrift stores but now they raised the prices on them, a bare deck can be priced more than $10. It's not worth the risk to me to buy them when they're so expensive, if something doesn't work I can't sell off the parts to break even anymore.

Most PS1 systems seem to work when I find them but maybe 1-2 out of 10 aren't fully working. That's a higher failure rate compared to old Nintendo or Sega consoles, though still not that bad overall. I used to sell PS1s somewhat regularly for $20, now it's probably harder to do. I picked up a bunch while looking for a modded one so I had several to sell off, I still have some including a few spare modded ones but I have to fix one with some video problems first so I haven't bothered listing any for awhile.

Complete PS2s are getting to be worth $20 where I am so PS1s aren't really in demand at all unless they're modded.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't know of too many people who collect system packaging variants, most would rather have the less generic looking normal pack. It probably does tack on a premium but I can get a boxed PlayStation of most models for $10-20 on a bad day. It just isn't worth much, this one being a SCPH-1001 is probably $40-50 not because it has a box but because it is a SCPH-1001, which is in demand from audiophiles and some lightgun users who lack the SCPH-1160 adapter which is rather rare. A normal box version would easily double that.
    Your pricing data is way outdated. The audiophile SCPH-1001 era is long dead. Take a look at recent completed Ebay auctions, several nice looking boxed SCPH-1001s with several games and controllers went unsold with low starting bids and $40-$50 BINs. There are several others sitting up there with no bids right now. Sadly, SCPH-1001s are worth very little unless they are new in the box.