Thread: Genesis Shining Force fans, what strategy guide is this?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genesis Shining Force fans, what strategy guide is this?

I ran across my second copy of Shining Force today and, even though I already own a copy, I bought it. Inside I was surprised to find what I thought were some old torn out pages from and EGM or Gamepro; turns out they formed this guide once I put them together. Does anyone recognize it? Here is the cover, notice Sega's California address on the back.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0484.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	5335

Inside I was happy to find some original artwork from Camelot/Sonic Software planning. Some of the character portraits are in the manual, but it's nice to see the other team characters too, all in color.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0485.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	5336

It is beaten up and I'm surprised it wasn't thrown away long ago. I spent a good 30 minutes taping the front cover back together. To keep the cover preserved I carefully sealed both sides with packing tape. Finally, I put the pages back together again and added staples to make it back into a book. It is resting between two heavy flat objects right now to try and help the awful bend in the middle from being jammed inside the game case for more than 15 years.

It is going to look great next to my other guidebook oddity, the rare "Rise of the Dragon for Sega CD" hintbook. Now I just need to find the hintbook for Phantasy Star II.

EDIT: Ah, google search comes in handy. It turns out Game Player's magazine was a funny, fondly remembered Sega/Nintendo focused mag from back in the day. I even found a scan of an issue. No telling how this guidebook came into things, maybe a magazine supplement? I guess they had access to some sort of press materials to get the character illustrations...

More info from Shining Force Central, yup, it was a magazine supplement. Cool to find out more info about it! http://www.shiningforcecentral.com/?...les&id=sf&c=84
    Last edited by ifkz; 06-21-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Too bad Gort's name is spelled wrong, but game players is one of the best magazines from the 80s/90s they always had fun stuff like that in them.