Thread: July 2012 Finds

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

@The 1 2 P - You can sell that Windows but the OEM policy changed a year or two ago. Back in the day, you could sell them with a random memory module included. Nowadays I think you have to include a hard drive or the entire PC.

Even then, I don't think they're bringing more than $20-25 sealed now. Windows 7 has decreased the demand for XP. I have a box with 20-30 Dell ones that I keep around for repairs/cheap PC flips. I can get a good 75-100 for a Windows XP laptop with decent specs.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaruff View Post
    @The 1 2 P - You can sell that Windows but the OEM policy changed a year or two ago. Back in the day, you could sell them with a random memory module included. Nowadays I think you have to include a hard drive or the entire PC.

Even then, I don't think they're bringing more than $20-25 sealed now. Windows 7 has decreased the demand for XP. I have a box with 20-30 Dell ones that I keep around for repairs/cheap PC flips. I can get a good 75-100 for a Windows XP laptop with decent specs.
    The change wouldn't affect the existing ones, only ones made after the change, however I wouldn't count on Ebay to understand that.

Edit: My finds for $25 worth of trades
    1 Gamecube (broken)
    1 Dreamcast (wierd possible pre-release, it has a terminator block where the modem is like the early Japanese ones but is a US release.)
    1 Gamecube Broadband Adapter
    Last edited by Tokimemofan; 07-06-2012 at 02:27 PM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    1 Dreamcast (wierd possible pre-release, it has a terminator block where the modem is like the early Japanese ones but is a US release.)
    Uh. Isn't that a kiosk unit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post

These are from last Friday. Total was nine bucks. Items include:
    Aero Blasters (case and manual only)
    Some AD&D game for the TG16
    TMNT: Coming Out Of Their Shells soundtrack tape
    Dragon Magazine Archives (complete in box)
    Two different Action Replay 8MB memory cards
    Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003

Guess the valuable item in there.

These are from today...

Genesis Justifier
    SNES Justifier
    P2 Justifier gun

Two SCPH-1080 PS1 pads with... Ethernet cables?

Anyone have any clue what those are for? I got some comments on twitter about these being hotel pads.
    Nice Find..

a friend of mine from CA sent me a set of these PS1 controllers many years ago to add to my collection.
    He picked them up at a flea market.

We both tried researching them with no avail..

I sold them on ebay earlier this year..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Yup, it should have some additional cooling heat sinks on the CPU and the GPU as well as a different identification on the sticker on the bottom, I think it's KS for "kiosk" if I'm remember correctly.

EDIT: Forgot to post my lone find. Got a loose copy of Wipeout 64 for $2.99 at a local indie record store.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 07-07-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SlowGolf2004
    PSN
    ownerizer
    Steam
    WDENNIS5280

1 Gamecube Broadband Adapter
    Just, FYI, I sold one on Father's Day, for $45 plus shipping to the Netherlands. It sold within about a week.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Yup, it should have some additional cooling heat sinks on the CPU and the GPU as well as a different identification on the sticker on the bottom, I think it's KS for "kiosk" if I'm remember correctly.

EDIT: Forgot to post my lone find. Got a loose copy of Wipeout 64 for $2.99 at a local indie record store.
    No it isn't, but it has a lot in common with the one here: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ighlight=modem
    the main difference is mine has a July 1999 date code and is a REV1 (I actually have a REV0 from August 1999)

Quote Originally Posted by ownerizer View Post
    Just, FYI, I sold one on Father's Day, for $45 plus shipping to the Netherlands. It sold within about a week.
    I've done that before too.

Edit: When I bought the Dreamcast I was specifically looking for unusual units such as the REV0 units with the heat pipes and kiosk units, the oddball was the only one worth writing home about, though there were a few REV0 and REV2 units that were trashed so I passed on them.
    Last edited by Tokimemofan; 07-07-2012 at 04:15 AM.

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bad News Baseball - $5
    Worms 3D - $5
    Family Guy Star Wars Trilogy - $20
    S-video to composite adapter - $10

Insert Coin (Level 0) Esquire Fox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picked this up at my local pawn shop today. I've been stopping by consistently for over a year, so I've gotten to know the owner very well.
    He is like the old man straight out of Pawn Stars, but he doesn't do any price research on games.
    Typically, he just counts the number of games and gives me a number off the top of his head.
    If I only paid $30 for this, imagine how little the people who brought them in got.

Mario Kart: Double Dash
    Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
    Pokemon Battle Revolution
    Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland
    Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland
    Ar Tonelico Qoga
    & Jak X: Combat Racing (just because)

-----

These next two came from my trip to the local flea market today:

These two Pokemon games were $5 each.
    Oddly enough, I think even GameStop pays more for them than that.

The Nintendo DSi was $5. The guy obviously had no idea what it was or how it worked.
    He had tried to jam some random plastic object into the stylus areas.
    There was also a SD card jammed into the cartridge slot.

This probably damaged the slot, as it won't recognize any games.
    So I'll be taking it apart to have a look at it in my spare time.

-----

As for Yard Sale stuff, I picked up some goodies for about $20 total:

Golden Sun (CIB)
    Golden Sun: The Lost Age (CIB)
    Q*Bert (for Gameboy; CIB)
    Tetris (for Gameboy; CIB)
    Tetris Attack (for Gameboy; CIB)
    Pokemon Sapphire
    Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
    GameShark (for GBA; Working)
    GameShark (for GB/C; Working)
    Nintendo Power Magazines (about 30; Gamecube era)

Anyone know why the GameSharks are so valuable now? The GBA version seems to go for about $60 online.
    To my recollection, these were extremely plentiful back in the day. Perhaps it is because they break so easily.
    Last edited by Esquire Fox; 07-07-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Esquire Fox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in 1999, Sega partnered up with Hollywood video to make the Dreamcast available for rent in North America 2 months before its release.
    This is also where the Limited Edition version of Sonic Adventure comes from. Perhaps you have one of the original rental units?

Sonic Adventure LE has online mode disabled because it wasn't available yet.
    Perhaps that is why the modem has a terminator block on it; to prevent people from attempting to access online features.
    Last edited by Esquire Fox; 07-07-2012 at 01:34 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Esquire Fox View Post
    Anyone know why the GameSharks are so valuable now? The GBA version seems to go for about $60 online.
    To my recollection, these were extremely plentiful back in the day. Perhaps it is because they break so easily.
    I'm wondering the same thing. I was pretty excited about picking up an Action Replay for $1 when I saw the prices, but unfortunately it doesn't work and won't reset. I also have a GBA Gameshark I need to sell. It works, but I have no idea why they are worth so much.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Esquire Fox View Post
    Back in 1999, Sega partnered up with Hollywood video to make the Dreamcast available for rent in North America 2 months before its release.
    This is also where the Limited Edition version of Sonic Adventure comes from. Perhaps you have one of the original rental units?

Sonic Adventure LE has online mode disabled because it wasn't available yet.
    Perhaps that is why the modem has a terminator block on it; to prevent people from attempting to access online features.
    That is what the consensus is over at Assembler, I have several systems with pre-launch date codes, but this is the first one that I've seen that was that early although I have heard of some being from May 1999

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yard Sales 7-7-12

$6

Asking a buck each, top 3 are complete bottom 3 no manuals.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not video game related but an awesome find none the less at a flea market to boot.

$20 for all the cards in the 2 pictures. All originals, not reprints, they aren't mint but i can't complain for $.50 each for avg price

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. I was pretty excited about picking up an Action Replay for $1 when I saw the prices, but unfortunately it doesn't work and won't reset. I also have a GBA Gameshark I need to sell. It works, but I have no idea why they are worth so much.
    Pokemon hacking, I bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Pokemon hacking, I bet.
    Data mining as well. A GameShark/ActionReplay is a decent poor mans data mining tool.

There was a push a handful of years ago on GFAQs to generate patch code lists and copied save files for games that didn't already have them. There were long topics about where to get cheap tools for the job.
    Last edited by JSoup; 07-07-2012 at 06:11 PM.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

FLEA MARKET..

I went early..it was so hot that vendors were packing up early...low vendor and customer attendance due to the heat,.
    .........so low for the first time I had up close parking..
    SLIM PICKINGS..

Not that I Didn’t find lots of stuff,lots of XBOX,PS,and NES games(three Atari 5200 games) but expensive..desperate vendors with high prices..Wanting to make a deal but still the price not worthwhile.
    Though today said to be the hottest day it didn’t bother me,,I dug deep through boxes bins,I spent a long time looking for stuff and just nothing good to buy..

My first find was a box of 35 loose Atari 2600 games(some no label)..all commons..I tried to haggle price as they were $2.00 each and the guy was leaving..the vendor went to $1.00 each if I bought them all..
    I was NOT willing to spend $37.00 on 37 banged up loose common Atari games so I bought the only unusual game KARATE for $2.00

One of the most unusual things I saw was a guy selling very old Video Game magazines,in the Sega CD era..(he had boxes filled with them)

Pokemon DS box $1.00 NO GAME..
    Portable CD player $1.00 to test StarPath Super Charger that I have on ebay..

KARATE for $2.00

EMac MAX OS X Install software..I don’t know if it’s worth anything but for $1.00 I could not pass it up ..

Now if you know me I LOVE Small Motorcycles..

This caught my eye but it was $800.00

The vendors are real pricks
    .................................................. ......

Found this and GUTTED IT..for the motor and parts.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Decent weekend. Went to visit my grandparents and install two flat screens they purchased earlier in the week. My grandfather is upset because the black lines (16:9 aspect ratio) are showing up on some of his channels.

Failed to have him understand why that happens so his new TV is on the overzoom setting and he's happy so I'm happy. Looks like crap but that's okay because he likes it.

I couldn't get their old TV (Sony Trinitron KV-32XBR26) because it wouldn't fit in my car. Will pick it up in a month or so when I have the chance; plan on using it in my game room. Ventured out a couple of places and found some decent loot:

- Game Boy Micro w/ Official Charger - $25
    - Broken Xbox 360 w/ power brick & hard drive - $20
    - Vintage Radio Shack Garry Kasparov chess game - $5
    - 3M Filtrete (water filter) station - $5 (looks new, includes the bottles which sell for a nice chunk of change by themselves)
    - Vintage Wear-Ever Popcorn Popper - $6
    - Duke Nukem PS3 x 2 - $3
    - Duke Nukem PC - $4.99
    - Gran Turismo 5 - $15

I love buying old appliance crap. I find that I use it for a short while and eventually sell it, usually for more than what I paid. An old 70s popcorn machine? Couldn't pass on that for $6. Popcorn Pumper sounds dirty too and my immaturity loves that. I know I can easily double my money on the GB Micro. Weird thing was I bought this from a reseller wanting eBay prices for dirty NES carts. I'm guessing her pink GBA SP was the same price. Broken 360 is missing the disc drive but powers up. Probably going to sell the system as-is, take the brick to GameStop (too heavy to ship), and I need to test the HD to see if it works. The 3M Filtrete was one of those weird things I felt compelled to search on my phone before picking it up. DKPS3 games were on clearance at Target and I bought their remaining two copies. The PC copy was on clearance at GameStop and was paid for with trade-in credit. As I was leaving GS, some guy came in with a few PS3 games and I spotted GT5. He felt he could get 10-12 TIV but I offered him $15 because I've been wanting to play it for a while. Helped him out and helped me out. Had some crappy 5-10$ PS3 games I've already played so I didn't bother buying those. Unfortunately, this guy came in with 15-20 Xbox 360 games and I didn't notice him until he was already at the counter. Know what he wanted? The damn Ghost Recon game. I was peeping at the games coming in and he probably had $120-150 worth of titles. Would have gladly gave him the damn $60 to buy Ghost Recon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pokemon Diamond & Pearl Pokedex 50 cents
    Pokemon Diamond & Pearl strategy guide 50 cents
    Xbox 360 Media Remote $3
    Final Fantasy Tactics(PS1) $3
    Final Fantasy VIII(PS1) x2 $3 each
    Final Fantasy IX(PS1) $3

These were all from Goodwill. Not the best of finds but I needed a remote for my 360 so now it will make my video streaming from the various apps that much easier.

Bangkok Dangerous dvd
    Hellsing Ultimate Edition III dvd
    Lolita dvd
    Killer Instinct Gold(N64)
    Super Mario 64(N64) x2
    Kirby's Dreamland 2(GB)
    Megaman & Bass(GBA)

These were all from one yardsale. It was actually the only yardsale I went to this week due to time constraints. All of that stuff was $15 total. The only game I really wanted was Killer Instinct Gold since I have never seen it in the wild before. The other games were ok but nothing special. And of course one of the dvd disc was missing. I really need to start checking those before I leave since this is like the third time I've done that. All and all this wasn't exactly a good week for finds.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Found this the same day as the Dreamcast and Gamecube stuff. Wasted $15 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0073.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	5416 Both Game Gears are dead, as is the AC adapter, the Power Pack works (A Miracle) the rest is trash.

Today:
    Normally I don't even touch Atari 2600 stuff, but this one was at a good price ($40) and had mostly boxed games.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0068.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	5413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0070.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	5414
    Someone who usually buys my extras wanted some controllers, so ($50):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0072.jpg