Thread: The History of Sonic the Hedgehog available for pre-order on Amazon [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb The History of Sonic the Hedgehog available for pre-order on Amazon [Joystiq]

A forthcoming book will document the history of Sega's mascot, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sega announced today. The 300-page book, The History of Sonic the Hedgehog, covers the Blue Blur in exhaustive detail, including "every 2D and 3D Sonic game" and "every spin-off game, every crossover, and even rare cameo appearances by Sonic across the gaming universe." You can see some preview pages over on the Sega Blog.

The History of Sonic the Hedgehog is now available for pre-order on Amazon. We're guessing it gets pretty dark after the first 30 pages or so.The History of Sonic the Hedgehog available for pre-order on Amazon originally appeared on Joystiq on Sat, 07 Jul 2012 03:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Wasn't there a Mario one in the works as well?

Might pick this up, even though I dislike most of the Sonic games after 1994 (though Sonic Colors was actually really good).

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Looks interesting. Wonder if it has any information that isn't already known in the Sonic fandom.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    Wasn't there a Mario one in the works as well?

Might pick this up, even though I dislike most of the Sonic games after 1994 (though Sonic Colors was actually really good).
    Yeah, the Mario one is by William Audureau and it was originally published in French. I'm almost done reading it and although it's well written and very interesting, there are some typos and errors (ie. writing "late 1990s" instead of "late 1980s") that somewhat divert from the final product. It's too bad because with some thorough editing, it'd be a solid read. This is actually Pix n Love's weak point: they don't show enough care for the proofreading process; otherwise, their books are very nice and well designed.

http://www.editionspixnlove.com/Tous...ypage.tpl.html

This is the page for the original French version of the book (produced with the collaboration of Sega of Japan). You can see a preview of several pages of the book to give you an idea of the final product. Personally, if you're a huge Sega/Sonic fan, you probably will want to pick up a copy.

Another book they recently released in French that should get an English release is their book Yoshihisa Kishimoto : Enter The Double Dragon, which is the biography of Double Dragon's creator (Kishimoto was in France this weekend with author Florent Gorges at Japan Expo; wish I had gone!).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The history of Sonic, by kupomogli.

Nintendo had Mario. Sega wanted a mascot and Alex Kidd wasn't cutting it, so along comes Sonic. Aside from Sonic 3D Blast, even the best games weren't very good and after the Sega CD, Sonic games sucked so much balls that most shovelware titles were more fun. To all real gamers, Sonic is a joke mascot. Sonic fans are Sonic fans and purchase the games no matter how bad they are.

The end.

Each person who reads this can send $.10 to my Paypal or you'll be speaking to my lawyer.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-09-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

Nintendo had Mario. Sega wanted a mascot and Alex Kidd wasn't cutting it, so along comes Sonic. Aside from Sonic 3D Blast, even the best games weren't very good and after the Sega CD, Sonic games sucked so much balls that most shovelware titles were more fun. To all real gamers, Sonic is a joke mascot. Sonic fans are Sonic fans and purchase the games no matter how bad they are.

The end.

Each person who reads this can send $.10 to my Paypal or you'll be speaking to my lawyer.
    That sounds about right-- besides just about everything you said, heh.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

The end.

Jesus man if there is anyone worse then rabid sonic fans its rabid sonic haters. Was any of that really necessary?

Check the link in my sig for good advice on this very subject. lol

Looks interesting. Wonder if it has any information that isn't already known in the Sonic fandom.
    I seriously doubt it, though I don't think people buying it are looking for obscure documentation. Its just a really nice overview of the franchise with some concept art and developer commentary thrown into a book.

There is an overview of the French Version here if anyone is interested here. Overall it looks like a fun thing to thumb through if your a Sonic fan and at the current amazon price of something like 35 bucks its not a bad deal either.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

here's hoping the local library picks this one up or it ends up cheap can't wait to read it though. Still got a nintendo book that came out recently that I need to read though