Thread: For owners of the Supaboy...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default For owners of the Supaboy...

So now that you've owned your Supaboy for a few months...what are your thoughts/feelings regarding the system?

In particular, how are the following holding up?

1) The d-pad. I play mostly shmups and fighters...so I'm wondering if it is still responsive to diagonal movements?? Overall, is the d-pad still functional and precise? Are the buttons still responsive?

2) The lcd screen. Any issues with dead pixels....or reduced visibility. Are the colors still vibrant?

3) Any other issues you've noticed after owning it for several months. Hardware, build quality, sound, battery life? Please elaborate.

thank you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seem to be in the minority of people who owned one of the initial shipment models who was happy with their purchase and didn't experience any serious problems. At the same time, I fully admit that most of the time I've had the machine, it has basically been serving the purpose of a cool display piece. The most recent games I've been using it with are Dungeon Master and Darius Twin.

For me, the D-pad has been pretty fine. It does feel a bit stiff compared to an official SNES pad, but I didn't experience the kinds of sluggish or flawed responses that other owners have. I think when it comes to made-from-China clones, your individual mileage is always going to very. I recently bought one of those Super Famicom classic controllers for Wii from Think Geek, and it had a hard time reading the Right direction on the D-pad. I opened it up and cleaned the contacts (they were super dirty, as it turned out), and it plays much better now. I never had any problems with the buttons on the SupaBoy.

For me, the screen has always been fine, and I certainly thought it was a better image than on the FC-16 Go. No dead pixels on my machine.

I replaced the battery on my machine with one of the longer life batteries I originally got for my FC-16 Go from StoneAgeGamer. Since I don't use it super often, battery life has never been a big issue. It does, however, a poor job of communicating when the battery is running low. Basically, the screen starts acting like its dying. The sound has always been one of the weaker aspects of the SupaBoy, which I think is still true even with the 'fixed' models.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

thanks akito

anyone else want to share their experience with their Supaboy after all these months of ownership?

thank you.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Unfortunately, I haven't used mine frequently enough to report on how it holds up to extensive use/stress.

Once I got my non-squealing RMA'ed unit in the mail I pretty much put it in a cabinet with the rest of my clones.

Though, you can also throw me in the vocal minority that (once the audio issues were sorted) was happy with the form and function of the unit.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't get past how ugly the damned thing is. It looks like it would be terribly uncomfortable to use for more than 10 minutes too. It's like an extrusion of a rounded rectangle :/