Thread: My first cabinet: Sega Turbo. Have a question.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default My first cabinet: Sega Turbo. Have a question.

I picked up my machine yesterday for $175. Not cheap, but I think it's within reason for a machine that looks pretty nice.

Sideart is nice and only has a small blemish on one side, T-molding looks good and still has color, has original functioning controls. I was pretty excited it had the original wooden shifter.

Aside from some hastily-tested non-functioning upper speakers, I only have one issue with it...and it was something the seller was upfront about: The screen offsets to one side after continuous use. Once it's turned off, the problem corrects itself, only to reappear later. I tried to get a photo of it this morning, but all I was able to come away with was this: Note the bottom left side and how the road border and grass are starting to bend upwards...

It gets to the point that it almost pushes the screen halfway across. I can't tell if it's a graphical glitch or what. The monitor is super bright, clear, and has no real imperfections to speak of. I'll have to get a better photo representation of it later this evening.

The seller told me he bought the boards off eBay about 6 months ago and they were refurbished, and they appear to function as expected, but I dunno if that would have any bearing on what I'm seeing. I wonder if reseating the chips would help at all.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Very nice looking cabinet and a fun game, congratulations!

It depends on the monitor for the ease of control you'd have, but have you tried adjusting the vertical hold and vertical position pots? Could be your vertical hold pot going bad or something with the B+. When I had my Galaxian cocktail I made some adjustments to fill the picture more and was getting a nasty curl on one edge similar to that. The B+ reading was low and adjusting it to the proper voltage removed the curl. My picture was slightly askew and needed a slight yolk adjustment as well but I sold the cabinet before getting around to it.

It's also possible the monitor simply needs the capacitors replaced, especially if its never been done. Since the problem creeps up and gets worse the longer it's on it wouldn't surprise me.

Monitor subform over at KLOV could probably have a solution for you in a few hours.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 07-25-2012 at 01:52 AM.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

That is so awesome!!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

There's a good example of what I'm talking about. The blue/black area on the bottom left encroaches further and further as the machine stays on. When I first saw it in action, it has pushed it's way across nearly half of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Monitor subform over at KLOV could probably have a solution for you in a few hours.
    Yeah, I registered there but can't post since you have to donate or have an existing member request that you be able to. (My name's the same on there, if anyone can lend me a hand)
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Yeah, I registered there but can't post since you have to donate or have an existing member request that you be able to. (My name's the same on there, if anyone can lend me a hand)
    You should be in now. That forum can be a pretty big PITA to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Nice find! I'd buy that for $175. KLOV is a great place to get tech info. Hopefully the monitor is something common like a G07.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Compute View Post
    Nice find! I'd buy that for $175. KLOV is a great place to get tech info. Hopefully the monitor is something common like a G07.
    Thankfully I've never come across a MatsuSHITa in a dedicated Sega game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nice game shame about the problems but at least the guy you purchased it from was honest about the problem,as the picture fault changes over time it sounds like the usual drift in voltage probably causes by a capacitor on the monitor or power supply,i hope you get it fixed as its quite nice and i have not seen one of these since back in the day when it was in the arcades.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second a recap job. Take a look at the circuit board on the monitor chassis and write down the model numbers. You can dig around online to find a recap kit with replacement capacitors already thrown together, otherwise grab paper and a pen to record each capacitors rating and create a shopping cart on one of the electronic component vendors:
    Digi-key
    Mouser Electronics
    Newark

I have had good experiences with all three, but sometimes one has components in stock the others don't or might save a few bucks on shipping or components. Once again, the recap kit is the easiest and fastest method.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You sir, need a cap kit. Similar thing was happening on my Xevious right side (yep original MatsuSHITa) the rightmost 1/2" to 1" was "smearing" vertically all the way down, except it didnt creep to the middle like yours. Local guy fixed it right up w/ a cap kit.

$175 is an OK price, IMO it wasn't too much at all. Welcome to the owner's club!
    Last edited by RJ; 07-28-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."